British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

LaLaLayla Oct 17th 2011 11:57 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by ionoyo (Post 9679209)
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my experience with ADIA. Basically I went through the whole recuritment process, was invited out there and got a conditional job offer. The condition was that I had to go through a "security check" which I was told is a legal requirement in Abu Dhabi, so I came back to the UK expecting to go out there once these checks were complete. After 2 months they advised me that I failed the security check, but were unable to give me any more information because the checks were done by a third party who simply told ADIA wether the canditates had passed or failed. It all sounds very strange to me because I've never even had a parking ticket so I have no idea how I could have failed a security check, and no one at ADIA seems to have any more information either. Im starting to think they turned me down because of the increased pressure to recruit locals, but thats just a thought.

Has anyone else experienced this with them? Does anyone know what kind of stuff this security check looks for?

Thanks
Ali

Do you have any County Court Judgements, anything like that? ADIA (or the agency they use) will go through your background with a fine-toothed comb. They check everything, but they will focus on your financial background, ie how you manage your bank accounts, how much debt you are in, if you have had any run-ins with debt collecting agencies in the past...

I was shocked at the amount of information they got about me (I read my file when I arrived). Luckily, I was OK, but I know that many, many people fail the background checks for ADIA.

ionoyo Oct 17th 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Hi,

I have had no CCJ's etc at all. I was a student so have had the usual student debts, a couple of credit cards but nothing serious, afterall its nothing that has prevented me getting a mortgage and buying a house. I have a couple of bank accounts but again I dont see why that should cause any issues, its not illegal after all - just a very bizarre situation.

Is there any way I can pay for a security check to be done so I can see exactly what is on there?

Thanks

LaLaLayla Oct 17th 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
I just checked through my records and the company that used to do the pre-employment screening for ADIA were a UK-based company called KROLL. I am not sure if ADIA still use them but, if so, it might be worth contacting them to see if they can offer you an explanation.

I would not worry about this too much though, ADIA turn people down for all sorts of reasons. There are plenty of other companies in the UAE who you could work for, I am sure.

csdf Oct 17th 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
I've heard of at least two people applying to Mubadala being rejected for "failing security clearance", though I'm unclear whether they actually failed for not being Emirati enough.

ionoyo Oct 17th 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9679322)
I just checked through my records and the company that used to do the pre-employment screening for ADIA were a UK-based company called KROLL. I am not sure if ADIA still use them but, if so, it might be worth contacting them to see if they can offer you an explanation.

I would not worry about this too much though, ADIA turn people down for all sorts of reasons. There are plenty of other companies in the UAE who you could work for, I am sure.

Hi

Thats the wierd thing though, they told me my KROLL checks had come back fine and that they were waiting on this security check, I think they called it a CID check?. Very strange indeed.

LaLaLayla Oct 17th 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by ionoyo (Post 9679360)
Hi

Thats the wierd thing though, they told me my KROLL checks had come back fine and that they were waiting on this security check, I think they called it a CID check?. Very strange indeed.

Really? I thought the CID thing was done locally. Are you sure they didn't say 'CRB check'?

ionoyo Oct 17th 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9679391)
Really? I thought the CID thing was done locally. Are you sure they didn't say 'CRB check'?

They (both the agency and HR at ADIA) deffinately said it was a CID check. I spoke to a few recuitment agents after this and they also said its a CID check. Is there anyway I can have one of these checks done privately? Also, if I fail once do you know when I may be able to re-apply?



Millhouse Oct 17th 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
maybe, just maybe, a distant cousin is a suspected terrorist

I know my place checked everything - ALL previous employers, universities, police records, and searches on family names, including criminal activity of family members.

Millhouse Oct 17th 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by ionoyo (Post 9679399)
They (both the agency and HR at ADIA) deffinately said it was a CID check. I spoke to a few recuitment agents after this and they also said its a CID check. Is there anyway I can have one of these checks done privately? Also, if I fail once do you know when I may be able to re-apply?

you can re-apply immediately. You will never get the job though...

al dente Oct 18th 2011 5:15 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
There are, apparently, links to some countries that would work against you too.

lullabelle Oct 18th 2011 6:25 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Mine hacked my facebook account...

True. The HR woman admitted it to me, explaining that her brother was a hacker. She explained it had happened before I formally accepted the job. I was speechless but she was pretty relaxed about it.

I know they never checked any referees though...

Nonsympathizer Jan 25th 2012 11:31 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Greetings ALL!

I know I am like the gazzilionth person to ask this but could someone please shed some light on the Psychometric tests?

What type of questions are they i.e SHL or something else?
How long do you have to complete the test, and how many questions?
What tests are there?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! Really want to work there!!!

The Dean Jan 26th 2012 2:39 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by Nonsympathizer (Post 9865468)
Greetings ALL!

I know I am like the gazzilionth person to ask this but could someone please shed some light on the Psychometric tests?

What type of questions are they i.e SHL or something else?
How long do you have to complete the test, and how many questions?
What tests are there?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! Really want to work there!!!

ADIA will never employ anyone who actually wants to work for them........

dono Jan 29th 2012 4:06 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
For psychometric tests enthusiasts, I just passed them recently and believe me guys, you'll need to prepare for them. 4 parts: abstract reasoning (diagrams, etc), calculation (kind of basic) and verbal (the most challenging). You don't have a lot of time so get prepared by doing a lot of examples online, or borrow/buy a test book, that'll do you good. I'm still waiting for my security clearance ( 1 month and a half now). Does-it usually take that long for ADIA? Do they really check everything (credit check, employers...)? they never called my referees...

Nonsympathizer Feb 8th 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9865785)
ADIA will never employ anyone who actually wants to work for them........

Really, so what do I need to do man, I'm listening :popcorn:


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.