British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

Biggson Nov 1st 2009 4:22 am

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Hi All,
I am currently in London, being offered a Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.

With a Mathematics PhD, I am currently a quantitative analyst in one of the banks in Canary Whraf (London). The head hunter sets up a final discussion with him on Thursday. I am still not sure whether the move is rational or not but I belive it is a good move in my career, working for the world biggest soverign fund.

Is there anyone working in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority here?
What is the culture within the organisation?
What salary should I set as benchmark to the headhunter( I have 5 years experience as a heavy quant and my degrees are from the very top uni in Britain)

How expensive is the lifestyle?
What are the benefits I should request( Car, house, etc...)
Please help, this is a life decision into an unknown world to me.

I am 35 with one kid and not married yet.
Concerning visa application, I have a French and British passport(any difference?)

Please help
Biggy

Millhouse Nov 1st 2009 4:47 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by Biggson (Post 8061333)
Hi All,
I am currently in London, being offered a Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.

With a Mathematics PhD, I am currently a quantitative analyst in one of the banks in Canary Whraf (London). The head hunter sets up a final discussion with him on Thursday. I am still not sure whether the move is rational or not but I belive it is a good move in my career, working for the world biggest soverign fund.

What salary should I set as benchmark to the headhunter( I have 5 years experience as a heavy quant and my degrees are from the very top uni in Britain)

Concerning visa application, I have a French and British passport(any difference?)

Please help
Biggy

Dammit, if you hadn't named the company I would have been able to give you some very honest answers...

Anyway, shoot for the stars. ADIA will do you no harm.

Oh, and you need to get married.

weescot Nov 1st 2009 5:53 am

There are ADIA people posting on BE - I can give one a nudge to PM you.

As for the package and benefits, labour laws here state what has to be in there eg housing allowance, schooling et. It is all pretty standard - just how much is up for negotiation. ADIA also have some properties for staff if you don't want to look for your own. They will take care of your visa etc.

Yes, you do need to get married, especially if you have a child as you will run into difficutlies enrolling at school/getting healthcare/visas for partner and child if you are not married.

There are loads of other threads on lifestyle costs - do a wee search.

Biggson Nov 1st 2009 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8061341)
Dammit, if you hadn't named the company I would have been able to give you some very honest answers...

Anyway, shoot for the stars. ADIA will do you no harm.

Oh, and you need to get married.

EmiratesMillhouse,
Please send me your email and phone number to <snip>.
I do seriously need help from you. I do need information in order to make the right decision and to negotiate well.
I was only approach last week and yet next week I need to decide.
Please get back to me.
Thanks
Biggy

Biggson Nov 1st 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8061377)
There are ADIA people posting on BE - I can give one a nudge to PM you.

As for the package and benefits, labour laws here state what has to be in there eg housing allowance, schooling et. It is all pretty standard - just how much is up for negotiation. ADIA also have some properties for staff if you don't want to look for your own. They will take care of your visa etc.

Yes, you do need to get married, especially if you have a child as you will run into difficutlies enrolling at school/getting healthcare/visas for partner and child if you are not married.

There are loads of other threads on lifestyle costs - do a wee search.

Hi Weescot,
Thanks for your reply, what does BE stand for.
I am desperatly in need of information.
Below is my email, please connect me eith the people in ADIA.
<snip>

Thanks
Biggy

Desert Shaikh Nov 1st 2009 7:03 pm

Hi All,

Please help
Biggy

Nothing less than 80,000 DHS a month. Accomodation is expensive and general cost of living in high. The move needs to be worthwhile. Dont undersell yourself.

Bob Nov 1st 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Biggson (Post 8062629)
Hi Weescot,
Thanks for your reply, what does BE stand for.
I am desperatly in need of information.
Below is my email, please connect me eith the people in ADIA.
<snip>

Thanks
Biggy

BE= British Expats...errr...fairly obvious given the website...

Biggson Nov 1st 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8062657)
BE= British Expats...errr...fairly obvious given the website...

Thanks all,
Do I need to separately negotiate the apartment or is it included in your suggested 80 K ?
Is there anyone working for Abu Dhabi Investment Authority in the room?

I only have 3 days to wrap up the deal.

Thanks for the initial thoughts.

weescot Nov 2nd 2009 4:29 am

I've sent you a PM (personal message)

ctfc Nov 2nd 2009 5:05 am

Hi All,

ADIA is very much a McKinsey house so expect McKinsey type culture with a bit of Goldmans thrown in and corresponding salary. Your headhunter should give you a very good indication of package for your level - phone another one or two to validate it's the right range.

Biggson Nov 2nd 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8063630)
ADIA is very much a McKinsey house so expect McKinsey type culture with a bit of Goldmans thrown in and corresponding salary. Your headhunter should give you a very good indication of package for your level - phone another one or two to validate it's the right range.

Do you mean same salary in nominal terms but without income tax?
Please illuminate me further.

Thanks

Biggy

TGFKASE Nov 3rd 2009 5:04 am

Sorry, have just had a chuckle at the fact that a Quantitive Analyst seems unable to analyse his package....

Mischief Queen Nov 3rd 2009 6:52 am

They will provide you with the option of accommodation or allowance. Take the accommodation - current apts are a great location and have swimming pool, squash courts, parking etc (they will show you before you have to decide). The package will be good (more than fair imo). I was moved in and furnished (with furniture allowance) within 2 weeks of landing in AD... not possible with many companies here I can tell you!

I say go for it.

raoul654321 Nov 3rd 2009 10:45 am

any one there working @ ADIA??

rgds

raoul

raoul654321 Nov 3rd 2009 10:47 am

Originally Posted by raoul654321 (Post 8066983)
any one there working @ ADIA??

rgds

raoul

need to have some help on the salary

Biggson Nov 3rd 2009 10:59 am

Raoul
I am also looking for an employee in ADIA.
Let me know when you get hold on one.
Are you in AD or in Britain?

Originally Posted by raoul654321 (Post 8066989)
need to have some help on the salary

raoul654321 Nov 3rd 2009 11:05 am

you have an idea about salaries/ packages?? please PM

Raoul

Millhouse Nov 4th 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8066320)
Sorry, have just had a chuckle at the fact that a Quantitive Analyst seems unable to analyse his package....

Could explain why the whole financial services industry is in the shit!

the reliance on models produced by these guys is staggering beyond belief.

frank_mue Dec 14th 2009 7:49 am

Apart from this useless statement, what can you offer to those who are trying to get important info on this company?

TGFKASE Dec 14th 2009 8:16 am

Originally Posted by frank_mue (Post 8170794)
Apart from this useless statement, what can you offer to those who are trying to get important info on this company?

You could always try Google.....

frank_mue Dec 14th 2009 8:30 am

Thanks TGFKASE.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get decent info on the internet simply by googling.
A private message from somebody who works at adia would work better. Do you have specific knowledge of the company?

TGFKASE Dec 14th 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by frank_mue (Post 8170854)
Thanks TGFKASE.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get decent info on the internet simply by googling.
A private message from somebody who works at adia would work better. Do you have specific knowledge of the company?

Errr..... no... not as such....:(

frank_mue Dec 16th 2009 8:08 am

Is this thread alive? I'm still trying to get important info on ADIA...
Would anybody be so kind as to send me a private message?

Topper Headon Dec 16th 2009 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by frank_mue (Post 8176684)
Is this thread alive? I'm still trying to get important info on ADIA...
Would anybody be so kind as to send me a private message?

I think your winning turn of phrase has successfully alienated everyone. Your future in finance is assured......

Millhouse Dec 17th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Topper Headon (Post 8177292)
I think your winning turn of phrase has successfully alienated everyone. Your future in finance is assured......

Indeed! :eek:

frank_mue Dec 17th 2009 1:52 pm

What makes you believe that a successful career in 'finance' is what makes me truly happy or satisfied as a human being?
Perhaps it is what makes you happy; and you mistakenly judge an unkown brit on a turn of phrase.
Did you have a weird boss?
Or are you simply troubled? Not half!

Millhouse Dec 18th 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by frank_mue (Post 8180156)
What makes you believe that a successful career in 'finance' is what makes me truly happy or satisfied as a human being?

Change jobs then...you spend a 1/3 of your life at work, might as well enjoy it.

frank_mue Dec 18th 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8183379)
Change jobs then...you spend a 1/3 of your life at work, might as well enjoy it.

Thank you, sir.
I will think about it.

shakh your bootie Dec 21st 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by frank_mue (Post 8183768)
Thank you, sir.
I will think about it.

Be nice to the newbie, guys - give him a chance.

Frank - there are a couple of occasional posters here that work at ADIA.

What is it you want to know about the company?

outerspace Jan 22nd 2010 7:40 am

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also really keen to speak to someone who works at ADIA. I want to know how to prepare for the psychometric assessment (I know they say that you can't, but I'd welcome any tips) and I also want to know about salary benchmarks.

Please PM to discuss.

Bob Jan 22nd 2010 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by outerspace (Post 8271901)
Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also really keen to speak to someone who works at ADIA. I want to know how to prepare for the psychometric assessment (I know they say that you can't, but I'd welcome any tips) and I also want to know about salary benchmarks.

Please PM to discuss.

going to have to make a couple more posts first before you can pm....so why not go and introduce yourself at the intro thread :)

outerspace Jan 22nd 2010 8:24 pm

Ah just read the fine print about making a few posts before you can get a PM.

As for me - without divulging too much:

I'm currently working at another Abu Dhabi investment body (will leave it unnamed) and am looking at analyst/associate level roles with ADIA. Have been in Abu Dhabi for nearly two years, and prior to this I was in Asia.

outerspace Feb 3rd 2010 11:11 am

anybody have any info/insights? I'm still searching - any help is appreciated.

The Dean Feb 3rd 2010 12:26 pm

Just been re-reading this thread......... by my reckoning that's FOUR people who would either like to work at ADIA or actually have been offered something...

They must be recruiting heavily - presumably for the newly-formed "Dubai Bailout Department"...........

DrBert Feb 6th 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by outerspace (Post 8271901)

Please PM to discuss.

Maybe a bit late on this thread, but in terms of prepping for psychometric assessments, as they said, you can't really. There are likely to be at least two types of assessment, abiity tests and/or personality inventory. An ability test looks for innate ability, (you could liken this to IQ) and for that, to large extent, you either have it, or you haven't. It won't hurt to look online for the plethora of practice tests you can find via google, and doing some of these in real test conditions, (i.e time yourself, if it says you need to do it in less than 10 minutes, do it in less than 10 minutes). This will at least get yourself ready for the real thing.

Personality inventories could be used in one of two different ways. As a screening tool they may be looking for a specific profile, for example your tendency to follow/break rules, risk appetite etc. They will almost certainly debrief you on this although it may be used as a simple screen to see if you fit what they are looking for. The second way of using these tests is to use them as part of a competency based interview. They will be interested in the same factors, but will ask you specific questions and then cross check your responses with the results expected from the profile.

It is possible to fake to some extent, but if you try this, you have to be sure you are faking in the direction they want. You may be able to do this, and to answer the questions in the debrief appropriately, but if thats too far from your real own true preferences and tendencies, the evidence suggests that you are unlikely to be successful in the role.

RaggyBoy Apr 30th 2010 10:14 pm

Bigson can you please tell me the name of your headhunter as i had one call me just two days ago about a job at ADIA and they said they would mail me details and call back and im afraid they have sent my email to the wrong address as my name can be tough to spell, im really keen on the job too so if you can help that would be great..

PS how is life at ADIA?

Millhouse May 1st 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by RaggyBoy (Post 8533998)
Bigson can you please tell me the name of your headhunter as i had one call me just two days ago about a job at ADIA and they said they would mail me details and call back and im afraid they have sent my email to the wrong address as my name can be tough to spell, im really keen on the job too so if you can help that would be great..

PS how is life at ADIA?

It's interesting that they are recruiting. I was under the impression that the tide had reversed. What role are they recruiting for?

RaggyBoy May 4th 2010 9:32 am

Emirates Millhouse , thanks for your reply it is in the Securities Pricing world don't really want to give too much away as a) I still haven't been called back ;-( and b) I am new to the forums and don't want to upset anyone that may work there or maybe having the same offers as me... please don't take this the wrong way... regards

raoul654321 Jun 14th 2010 11:09 am

Please, how many months it takes from the interviews to the assessments to the day you start there?

Millhouse Jun 14th 2010 11:36 am

Originally Posted by raoul654321 (Post 8631835)
Please, how many months it takes from the interviews to the assessments to the day you start there?

lots...

Decision making here is very slow indeed. I'm in the process of changing jobs... I will join in September - I first spoke with them in Feb. (although this isn't ADIA). Mubadala reckon that they can do the process in 2 weeks.