Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by jamiestarr
I'm a consultant working for ADIA. Before I arrived here, I was told that they are a very well run organisation and something of a gem in the middle east.
However, having worked in the middle east for nearly 4 years I've come to conclude that there is nothing unique about ADIA at all. In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.
The organisation is full of bearaucrats (some Indian) who are looking after they own jobs and, wait for it, there is no accountability, which is the norm in this region.
They appear to be hiding the advise/work done by consultans with a view to blaming them if things go wrong.

My personal view of the majority of people working at ADIA is that they couldn't cut it anymore in the West.

If you take a job at ADIA you should kiss autonomy good bye. Your career will take a backseat and you'll be in a "job" and that's it. You'll take your high salary, enjoy the sun and get through life hesitating and wonder when the tap on your shoulder will come because of a decison you made after being bullied.

To conclude, it's a great job if you can get it. Spend a few years here and walk away with a pot of cash.

The biggest sovereign wealth fund it may be but it is far from being best. Once the oil goes that building overlooking the corniche will be derelict. The only difference between Abu Dhabi and Saudi is that your wife can drive here and that you have dubai an hour away. The drawbacks is that you have to put up with some idiotic decison making from locals or other expats, who simply wouldn't cut it elsewhere.

The choice is yours!

p.s. Pardon the typos. I was typing on a BB
How long have you been a consultant at ADIA?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.
spot on.

Originally Posted by The bird called Grace
oh def,, a right bunch of tossers...
all of them?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:31 am
Just Joined

jamiestarr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been providing services to ADIA for 15 months - the write up is my personal honest experience.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
spot on.

all of them?
No idea, don't know anyone that works there, but I am curious to know how the boys in white dresses are pleasured and err less of the bird....
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
No idea, don't know anyone that works there, but I am curious to know how the boys in white dresses are pleasured and err less of the bird....
egos are massaged and there is an absolute absence of any form of challenge.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I've been providing services to ADIA for 15 months - the write up is my personal honest experience.
Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many. Who on earth told you ADIA is different? What hasn't helped them currently was the sudden and unexpected death of their leader.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weescot
Who on earth told you ADIA is different?
probably a UK based recruitment agent who doesn't know where the UAE is and thinks that Dubai is a country in its own right.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 23rd 2010 at 8:29 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=weescot;8795967]Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many.QUOTE]

Oh yes - the description would fit many - Ald*r, TD*C, Mub**** to name a few!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=soukie;8796028]
Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many.QUOTE]

Oh yes - the description would fit many - Ald*r, TD*C, Mub**** to name a few!
Indeed. But at least most of us have the grace and manners not to be so racist about some of our observations. thats over paid "here today, gone tomorrow" consultants for you I suppose. And frankly, Emiratis I know are finally getting wise to the contribution and comments coming from consultants ... in many cases they are seen as simply knowledge bling brought in as a fire blanket for aforementioned and dig them out of the pooh .. invariably generated from implementing previous consultants recommendations
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

jamiestarr is an unknown quantity at this point

All

Thank you for your contribution to what I revealed. I agree, the issues are synonymous with the majority of organisations here. However, I was led to believe that ADIA was different. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone and if anyone believes that what I said was racist - this was not my intention. I was foolish in thinking that ADIA was different and that's it.

I agree that Emiratis are very good people, but they do hide behind the advice of consultants because, in my experience, it's easier to blame a consultant. The true reality of the situation is that my profession is instruction led and therefore I do what I'm told to do. If I do raise any issues or risks associated with the path being suggested, I'm simply told to shut up.

Thank you all for your input.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:41 am
Just Joined

PrKoll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
They will provide you with the option of accommodation or allowance. Take the accommodation - current apts are a great location and have swimming pool, squash courts, parking etc (they will show you before you have to decide). The package will be good (more than fair imo). I was moved in and furnished (with furniture allowance) within 2 weeks of landing in AD... not possible with many companies here I can tell you!

I say go for it.
Hi guys!
I am interviewing with them too. I am curious about the accommodations: you mention that they give you the option to use theirs. Where are those flats located? Do they provide villas as well? Can you be more specific about the choice one gets: flat description vs. How much housing allowance.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PrKoll
Hi guys!
I am interviewing with them too. I am curious about the accommodations: you mention that they give you the option to use theirs. Where are those flats located? Do they provide villas as well? Can you be more specific about the choice one gets: flat description vs. How much housing allowance.
haha - you've got your research properties right! They offer staff both apartments and villas all over town in a variety of different tower blocks and compounds. I believe that once you arrive, what you are invited to view on AIDA's housing books depends entirely on availability and if you are single or married. No idea about housing allowances, but generally they are around rental market prices, which are going down.

Maybe someone form ADIA can advise you with more info... but you'll definantely get more space than in New york...
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:21 am
Just Joined

PrKoll is an unknown quantity at this point

haha - you've got your research properties right! They offer staff both apartments and villas all over town in a variety of different tower blocks and compounds. I believe that once you arrive, what you are invited to view on AIDA's housing books depends entirely on availability and if you are single or married. No idea about housing allowances, but generally they are around rental market prices, which are going down.

Maybe someone form ADIA can advise you with more info... but you'll definantely get more space than in New york...
Thanks for the swift response!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:09 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

All

Thank you for your contribution to what I revealed. I agree, the issues are synonymous with the majority of organisations here. However, I was led to believe that ADIA was different. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone and if anyone believes that what I said was racist - this was not my intention. I was foolish in thinking that ADIA was different and that's it.

I agree that Emiratis are very good people, but they do hide behind the advice of consultants because, in my experience, it's easier to blame a consultant. The true reality of the situation is that my profession is instruction led and therefore I do what I'm told to do. If I do raise any issues or risks associated with the path being suggested, I'm simply told to shut up.

Thank you all for your input.
Try the Norwegian soveireign wealth fund, at least they are 'transparant'.. Oh, mandatory lol. (laugh out loud)
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Pacific1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, read some posts relating to ADIA.

Just had a telephone interview for a role out there. Wanted to understand what the 3 hour psychometric test involves. Believe this is a tough process. Any thoughts/advise.

Considering a move to Abu Dhabi, always been based in London, and working in several major banks here. Married with a little one. Looking at my next opportunity. I have read mixed posts in terms of moving, but is there something I should specifically be asking/looking for.

Appreciate all your comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.