Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old May 18th 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

MMCMK2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Well done dominoman. (Am I right in thinking your offer was quite soon after your on-site visit?!) Good luck with your decision.
I think you mentioned you had another offer in London - is that still a viable option?

I have just had my assessment feedback session with Korn Ferry. They did not give precise figures but said I was average in numeracy, above average in verbal and high in abstract reasoning. They mentioned a couple of areas for development (personality wise) but I thought the feedback in terms of personality was on the whole positive (nothing critical stood out). So just waiting to see if I get called for the on-site interviews.

With Ramadan round the corner, I fear I may not hear anything back (either way) before July...
I've never known a recruitment process to be so agonisingly long...
Old May 19th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Yes, the offer came very quickly. In my case the other candidates had already finished their process so I was the last to be considered. If you are not the last you will need to wait until they've seen everyone so it will take longer to hear - if you know what i mean.

Now I need to decide between the London and ADIA offer. London is more pay, but once tax is taken into account I should have more left at the end of the month at ADIA. But it is offset by higher cost of living out there. So it comes down to a lifestyle choice rather than a money choice for me now.

Good luck in getting an onsite interview. I don't think Ramadan will affect anything. The decision to hire someone will have been taken long ago or the process wouldn't even start. Your interviews will be with expats, and perhaps one Emirati, so Ramadan won't make a difference. It does take a very long time, but that's because they know that upping sticks is a major move, and they don't want anyone to do this without really being sure.
Old May 19th 2016, 9:45 am
Just Joined

reddot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all
A newbie here. I have just been given my dates for the assessment day. Wanted to seek some guidance from the folks in the group who have had the experience. what to expect? how to prepare etc.
Any help would be really useful.

thanks in advance
Old May 23rd 2016, 7:08 am
Just Joined

langbarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dominoman
when you say 25% less, as example say you are on 100 in London and take 60 home after tax. Did they offer you 75? I see you included the bonus, did they guaranteed it to you? Finally I thought the gratuity allowance would be paid only at the end of service, isn't that the case?
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by langbarb
Hi Dominoman
when you say 25% less, as example say you are on 100 in London and take 60 home after tax. Did they offer you 75? I see you included the bonus, did they guaranteed it to you? Finally I thought the gratuity allowance would be paid only at the end of service, isn't that the case?
Yes, exactly. 25% less on the total before tax is paid.

No, the bonus isn't guaranteed but they indicated that it is usually paid. I'm assuming it will be.

The gratuities are paid monthly throughout service.
Old May 24th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Another income stream to consider is that they pay your rent and, if you have a property in the UK, you can rent it out.
Old May 24th 2016, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm still waiting to hear if ADIA will increase the base pay. I have to give a decision on the London offer later this week, and at that point would resign immediately.

If ADIA increased, I would take it. If not, the London job is more secure, more money (though less after tax) and less upheaval - so the sensible thing would be to stay in London. My head says London, my heart says Abu Dhabi.

Does anyone know how likely it is that ADIA would increase? Is there even a risk that they take the offer away altogether?
Old May 25th 2016, 5:25 am
Just Joined

pattar is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best Dominoman. Though I don't have any personal experience, I hv heard that you can potentially negotiate on the fixed pay but not the allowances as those are standard offerings. So I would recommend you go back and ask them to match your current fixed pay before you take up the London offer.

In my case, I hv completed the KF test and waiting or next steps in terms of Abu Dhabi visit etc
Old May 25th 2016, 5:31 am
Just Joined

I recently completed the KF assessment. It is a very good experience overall. I don't think you need to prepare too much. Most "tests" are like pattern matching, abstract reasoning, numerical reasoning etc..

I didn't do any practice and went with an open mind. Didn't find it very difficult, though you will mostly run out of time to answer. But that should be OK, as I am not sure if anyone really gets full marks ! What you need to prepare for is the potential interview with the KF lead about your career goals, ambitions, why ADIA etc
Old May 26th 2016, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Pattar.

The agent has now come back after having spoken with them and said it is very unlikely they will increase. However they are meeting to discuss, so its a possibility.

If I don't hear back by end of the weekend I have to decide based on the current offer. That makes it hard, as I will be taking a cut in base and bonus (although after tax it is more). My wife will be forfeiting her London job to move so it comes down to whether we think she'd be able to get banking work out there. At the moment it doesn't appear there's much hiring in Abu Dhabi...

Totally agree with your comments on the KornFerry. Good experience & very professionally run.

Good luck for getting to next stage Pattar. What kind of role is it?
Old May 27th 2016, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dominoman
Thanks Pattar.

The agent has now come back after having spoken with them and said it is very unlikely they will increase. However they are meeting to discuss, so its a possibility.

If I don't hear back by end of the weekend I have to decide based on the current offer. That makes it hard, as I will be taking a cut in base and bonus (although after tax it is more). My wife will be forfeiting her London job to move so it comes down to whether we think she'd be able to get banking work out there. At the moment it doesn't appear there's much hiring in Abu Dhabi...

Totally agree with your comments on the KornFerry. Good experience & very professionally run.

Good luck for getting to next stage Pattar. What kind of role is it?
That's a tough call for you dominoman.. Pls let me know how it goes and if they do come back with any increase . Will help me a lot if I reach that stage. Regarding the position, mine is an Ops Manager kind of role. I am also trying to find out, the title level in ADIA.. For example if you compare MD, Director, VP in banks, what would be equivalent in ADIA ?
All the best as you await ADIA to get back and make a decision
Old May 27th 2016, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll let you know what happens.

I too would like to know the level comparisons.

ADIA uses P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, all the way up to P10 (I think) for levels. The highest an expat can be is P5, which from what I gather equates to mid level MD or so.

I'd be interested to know what the other P levels equate to, if there is anyone on here from ADIA?

Only an Emirate can be a grade above P5, with no exceptions. So the management committees are staffed by locals only. It sounds strange coming from a country that is a pure meritocracy, but I'm fine with it. It's their country and if you choose to work there it's right to accept it how it is.
Old May 29th 2016, 10:28 am
Just Joined

langbarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Dominoman, i believe P3 is the highest non managerial grade for an expat, while P5 is quite rare. A P5 expat would equate to a senior MD in a US IB (e.g.: globak head of strategy). As per negotiating, am told, there is some wiggle room (e.g. on deferred bonus/stock options buy out) but doubt they will substantially increase base salary or benefits. All second hand info so treat with care and good luck!
Old May 29th 2016, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dominoman
I'll let you know what happens.

I too would like to know the level comparisons.

ADIA uses P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, all the way up to P10 (I think) for levels. The highest an expat can be is P5, which from what I gather equates to mid level MD or so.

I'd be interested to know what the other P levels equate to, if there is anyone on here from ADIA?

Only an Emirate can be a grade above P5, with no exceptions. So the management committees are staffed by locals only. It sounds strange coming from a country that is a pure meritocracy, but I'm fine with it. It's their country and if you choose to work there it's right to accept it how it is.
Thanks and as you said, it is better to set our own expectations clear before deciding to go there!
Old May 31st 2016, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I have just accepted the job in Abu Dhabi! They didn't increase the offer, but I like the job and it is still a good wage, even if lower base & bonus than now.

Now I need to turn down my UK offer. It will be a hard conversation as I know they are really keen and were waiting for me to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.