Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Riina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by smudgerchanovski
Guys , I have been out for a few beers this evening and have spent a fair amount of time with friends dissecting the last few months. Basically I got a carrot dangled in front of me for a few months and for a short while I became a little bit obsessed with that carrot!! It took me a day or two to get over the disappointment of feeling rejected but I am now in a good place. Infact it is a bit ridiculous that I feel the urge to post a blog at this point...however I feel like I have become part of a community here. I will give myself a slap in the morning but for now I wish all ADIA candidates all the best!
Haha - this really made me laugh! Thanks for sharing, you have a really good attitude and it is ADIAs loss for sure
Old Jul 19th 2014, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

HVO_1111 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have caught up with all the posts on this thread now and first of all, congrats to all those who have been made an offer and all the very best for the future to those who missed out. There seems to be some confusion about the sort of offers people can expect. These guys spend an awful lot of time looking at market rates and then coming up with something that it competitive, in fact better.

Don't be surprised to get an offer that is lower that your current basic salary because you forget the tax element. You will end up taking home a lot more than you would here in the UK, as what they pay you is what you take home. And they also pay for your flat and utility bills (apart from the internet bills, I believe). It's up to you then to choose their property, or to rent yourself, which means you can save up to 50-60k in local currency if you go outside the city centre (I think most expats I have spoken to out there do this). You also receive an expat allowance on top of your salary.

All in all, you would be better off/comfortable financially and if there is one thing I have learnt, it is that they want their employees to focus solely on their job.This is why they try to take care of everything else as much as possible. Your driving licence, opening bank accounts, getting a mobile, they help with all of that. The importance of not having to deal with the local bureacracy cannot be overstated as it is extremely draining, both physically and mentally.

There seem to be some people on this thread with an inflated sense of self-worth who think that Adia should be grateful to them, instead of the other way 'round and that Adia is somehow losing out by not employing them. That's simply false. There are an awful lot of candidates vying for every position and they can afford to choose those who they think fits in best.

I met a guy when I got off the plane who was interviewing with them, who seemed to feel that he was doing them a favour by turning up to interviews in Abu Dhabi. He told me he wanted to work in one team only, that he couldn't work in another team as he would find it boring and surprise surprise, he missed out. You have to appreciate and understand the culture to know that an inflated sense of self-worth is possibly the most offputting thing to them. Being humble works. Sometimes you don't have to say anything for that arrogance to show.

Last edited by HVO_1111; Jul 19th 2014 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

mdoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to all,

My in person visit to Abu Dhabi is approaching soon, this has been a long process for me as I have been interviewing since January. Reading the last few threads being flown out doesn't mean I am locked in yet, so with that said any tips for the visit? Should I expected to be grilled hard again, I feel like they know my whole life story by now lol.

This forum is a really great community so all the best to everyone, I am excited for what seems to be the final steps in this process.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mdoe which department are you applying to?Let us know and I will PM you if it's the same as the one that I am joining,with all the tips I can possibly give.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Applying for a role in Technology
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

RKI_83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The tips for onsite interview - treat it like an actual interview, some people tend to be under the illusion that site visit means you have the job - this is not always the case. After the site visit there will be wait for an initial nod which can take upto 3 weeks - then a final wait for security checks which may take between 3-6 weeks on average.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Show a real interest in your business area, in Abu Dhabi. Try to find out as much about the work, the team you would be working in, how other expats' families are enjoying it. It's vital that you get a feeling from it whether this would be the right move for you as well - it's what they expect you to glean from your visit. Prepare for an interview to the extent you prepared for your previous ones and you will be fine.

Try to gauge how your experience will be used, what the focus is for your department in the short to medium-term. Always ask questions in the way which comes across to them as you asking what you can do for them, not vice versa.

One thing I was asked constantly was whether I was sure I, we, liked it there, whether we thought we could fit in. You'll see (at least I did) when you get there that it's pretty important that you're honest with yourself/yourselves. If you are, the rest of it comes together.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Cumrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on the department, it is common ADIA policy to invite two candidates for the role so it is far from just a meet and greet with the rest of the team. Throw yourself in but don't assume that you have the job just because they are showing you houses and schools and asking for your tax domicility. Do your very best but remember it is still a 50:50 shoot out and you can't legislate for the profile of the other candidate. They obviously think you can both do the job otherwise you would not be there but they can only choose one so one of you will be very disappointed and probably for an intangible reason you will never discover (zero feedback policy...). Bonne chance!
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Testerfella is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum from quite few months and I thank for the inputs provided my most of you.

My PDI with ADIA has been scheduled for coming week and I am just done with Career History + Personality Inventory Test questionnaire which is supposed to be filled in before in person interview at PDI center. I have filled in both the questionnaires with utmost honesty and as a part of which I mentioned 'suitable remuneration to support decent lifestyle' as one of the reason why I am looking for career move.

I am now wondering if I did the right thing by being honest and if the psychometric analysts will think that I am a money driven individual which is really not the case. I wanted to know from folks who have already gone through ADIA recruitment process as in how much this answer would impact me? Do I have a chance to still do better in my in person interview or I have lost it already by submitting that thing in my answer?

Also, how difficult are their numerical,verbal ability tests? I saw some of them online but found some tests to be tough to finished in one minute per question rate. Do they allow us to use pen and paper for rough calculations? Guys, I am really looking forward to this and will appreciate your help/advice.

Thanks in advance.
Testerfella
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

TheChangeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

@mdoe - mate I am interviewing for a Technical Analyst role as well within IT at ADIA. Seems like they need quite a few people out there as I was shown 5 different roles. How far in the process have you reached?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheChangeGuy
@mdoe - mate I am interviewing for a Technical Analyst role as well within IT at ADIA. Seems like they need quite a few people out there as I was shown 5 different roles. How far in the process have you reached?
@thechangeguy, I agree they are definetly growing their IT teams as I have interviewed for a few different roles as well. It looks like i am at the final stages of this process as I will be flying out for inperson interviews early September. Send me a PM and let me know how far along are you in the process and which IT team are you going for.

Best
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone advise to how the in person visit will go? Will salary/package be discussed and also what should I expected as far as salary if an offer is made? Are they paying the market rate like NY, UK, or Tokyo or do they factor in the other benefits they give like housing etc..?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:58 pm
RCN
Just Joined

RCN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have been contacted by recruitment agent in UK for ADIA. How do i know this is scam or genuine opportunity? Is ADIA has approved recruitment agents? What is the process form start to end? I haven't got any interview yet, but agent ask me to fill ADIA Employment application form, which contains lot more about my confidential information.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Depends on who the recruitment agency in question is,I would say.I was asked some information if I remember correctly.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Testerfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Hi All,

My PDI was done 2 weeks back and I was given the feedback by lead assessor right on 3rd day.

My scores weren't great for Raven's Test and Verbal reasoning (2nd quartile they said) while my numerical was on border of 3rd and 2nd quartile I.e more towards third quartile.

Based on my other assessments and simulation assignment, they told me that I did good at Prudent Innovation aspect but there is little scope of improvement for Execution and Working with Team aspect. All in all, the assessor told me that my assessment is of 'mix of very good at some places and can be improved at some places' but she also said that PDI folks don't make any decision on hiring or recommending as good or bad candidate. This decision is taken by ADIA by comparing the assessments of other candidates applying for same role.

I have not been contacted by ADIA yet. I am wondering if I stand any chances or I have messed it already? Any experience from anyone where your feedback too was mixed sort of and you still made there to ADIA?

Will appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Testerfella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.