job in Abu Dhabi

Old Dec 26th 2009, 6:12 am
Just Joined

andy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job in Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone,
would 300,000 USD a year cash-in-hand, split between salary and all sorts of allowances, be a good offer for work in Abu Dhabi?
I am assuming roughly half of this would cover accomodation (I am assuming 300-320,000 AED in rent for a villa with pool in Al Raha or somewhere else off the main island), school ( 2 kids at 50,000 AED each) and pension contribution. I assume everything else is cheaper than UK, which should allow for a good life standard + savings. Or am I missing something?

thanks!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by andy2
Hi everyone,
would 300,000 USD a year cash-in-hand, split between salary and all sorts of allowances, be a good offer for work in Abu Dhabi?
I am assuming roughly half of this would cover accomodation (I am assuming 300-320,000 AED in rent for a villa with pool in Al Raha or somewhere else off the main island), school ( 2 kids at 50,000 AED each) and pension contribution. I assume everything else is cheaper than UK, which should allow for a good life standard + savings. Or am I missing something?

thanks!
package sounds good...but don't assume everything is cheaper here, petrol is, but that's about it i reckon...oh and steak, lol...

MM, xx
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:32 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget you will need to pay Inland Revenue 40% if you don't last the full course and return home, assuming you are British.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Your assumptions of costs of accommodation and education are good, but pretty much everything is expensive here. Latest bar to open - admittedly selling very good Belgian beer - is 7 quid a pint....
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:16 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Your assumptions of costs of accommodation and education are good, but pretty much everything is expensive here. Latest bar to open - admittedly selling very good Belgian beer - is 7 quid a pint....
what bar is that?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

It's called the Belgian Cafe or Belgian Bar - something like that. In the Intercon near where AMPM used to be. Very nice and all that but really - Dhs40 for a beer???
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:49 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

It's called the Belgian Cafe or Belgian Bar - something like that. In the Intercon near where AMPM used to be. Very nice and all that but really - Dhs40 for a beer???
40AED...give that a bodyswerve
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

ok thanks for all your responses. It seems I am not to far off. So you think it would be a good deal? what about electricity and overal utilities, that must be very expensive given the aircon is on all the time!
One ofthe issues I have is whether it gets boring for the family. It's fine to be able to go to the beach every day, but is there anything else to do?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't forget you will need to pay Inland Revenue 40% if you don't last the full course and return home, assuming you are British.
I am not british but I am in the UK now and I would come to work for a local company, not on secondment, so I should be fine, but I need to investigate that a bit further I guess
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hawkhead;8198857]Your assumptions of costs of accommodation and education are good, but pretty much everything is expensive here. Latest bar to open - admittedly selling very good Belgian beer - is 7 quid a pint....[/QUOTE

spot on and the one in dubai's really not that good,most of the beer's bottled and the only draft that was on was stella and hoegarrden which is like drinking tramps pi** !
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

spot on and the one in dubai's really not that good,most of the beer's bottled and the only draft that was on was stella and hoegarrden which is like drinking tramps pi** !
I think they had about half a dozen on draught but yeah, two of those were Stella and Hoegar-however you spell it. I liked it there but I just didn't like the prices, I really think they are taking the piss.

ok thanks for all your responses. It seems I am not to far off. So you think it would be a good deal? what about electricity and overal utilities, that must be very expensive given the aircon is on all the time!
One ofthe issues I have is whether it gets boring for the family. It's fine to be able to go to the beach every day, but is there anything else to do?
Andy, unlike the rest of the world it seems, I don't do dollars but I guess it seems ok. You do get through a load of electricity cos of the aircon but I've no idea of how much it costs cos the company pays it - see if you can get an allowance for utilities.
I don't get bored here but there are restrictions. It depends what you're into. If as a family you spend every weekend walking the highlands of Scotland, for instance, then you might have problems adjusting, but if you like going to the cinema, eating out, beaches, exploring other areas outside of the city, and other countries; if the kids like meeting their friends at the shops, play sports, are involved with the usual school activities etc etc etc then you will all be fine. Is there anything specifically you like to do now that you think you might not be able to do here?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andy2
I am not british but I am in the UK now and I would come to work for a local company, not on secondment, so I should be fine, but I need to investigate that a bit further I guess
If you are working for a local company, I advise that you might want to caome out here sans-family for 4/5months first. Working for a local compny, you will discover that things are different - and employment law is non-existant for a "high paid expat"

If someone takes a dislike to you, you can be terminated immediately with zero reason given or required.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
If you are working for a local company, I advise that you might want to caome out here sans-family for 4/5months first. Working for a local compny, you will discover that things are different - and employment law is non-existant for a "high paid expat"

If someone takes a dislike to you, you can be terminated immediately with zero reason given or required.
First class advice.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat080 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll go tomorrow to Helton Jazz Bar -Abu Dhabi- who likes to come with me???

If you like send me a private message.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:00 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a crap bar, totally overpriced and you can get the same beer in A&E for less than half. I don't like the cafe decor either...

I am a weisbier fan and that's something the Belgians are pants at. They have a few good lagers and dark beers though - but out of principle I won't pay 7 quid in the intercon when I can pay 2 at the booze shop or another bar.

Am getting stingy (and drunker) in my old age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.