Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

International School Teaching

International School Teaching

Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:28 am
Just Joined

emy264 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International School Teaching

Hi there. I am a British curriculum qualified primary school teacher and currently looking at options to teach in the Middle East (mainly Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar) for a Sept 2013 start. By then I will have 2 years experience in British schools. I also have a TESOL certificate and have a years TEFL teaching experience in the UK and Thailand. I am a relatively new teacher and wondered what the likelihood of finding a job in an international school would be. I have seen quite a lot of positions advertised saying that they would consider NQTs but in reality are inexperienced teachers often employed? In addition to that, I am a British born Chinese. Is this a problem? I have heard that ethnic minority teachers often face difficulties in finding teaching jobs in the Middle East. Any help with my queries would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: International School Teaching

Originally Posted by emy264
Hi there. I am a British curriculum qualified primary school teacher and currently looking at options to teach in the Middle East (mainly Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar) for a Sept 2013 start. By then I will have 2 years experience in British schools. I also have a TESOL certificate and have a years TEFL teaching experience in the UK and Thailand. I am a relatively new teacher and wondered what the likelihood of finding a job in an international school would be. I have seen quite a lot of positions advertised saying that they would consider NQTs but in reality are inexperienced teachers often employed? In addition to that, I am a British born Chinese. Is this a problem? I have heard that ethnic minority teachers often face difficulties in finding teaching jobs in the Middle East. Any help with my queries would be much appreciated.
My Mrs got a job here whilst she was doing her NQT in the UK. THe next September she was here teaching.

Don't let folk tell you they won't employ people with only 1-2 years experience.

You are far cheaper.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 3:34 am
Just Joined

emy264 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International School Teaching

That's great to hear that your partner was employed as an NQT. I hope you're both enjoying life out in Dubai. Any comments on ethnic minority teachers? Can they find work easily in international schools in the Middle East?