Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How good a company to work for?

How good a company to work for?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

david999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How good a company to work for?

Cheers DD,
Yeah, that is my main concern and why it's so important to get into the best compound I can.
She's a housewife in the UK anyway, so hopefully if she can make some friends then it shoudn't be too bad an experience!

Out of interest DD, what do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

David

Last edited by david999; Feb 17th 2013 at 8:07 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:16 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by david999
Cheers DD,
Yeah, that is my main concern and why it's so important to get into the best compound I can.
She's a housewife in the UK anyway, so hopefully if she can make some friends then it shoudn't be too bad an experience!

Out of interest DD, what do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

David
My wife is having a great company in the compound we're in. It was a lot less so in the previous one and we were lucky to get in here. Makes all the difference.

I am on a snr manager level in operations of a multinational working in electrical energy sector. My package is similar to yours. Ball-park of $200k all-in is what snr managers can expect in KSA. I do know guys on $400k but this is banking or very high up in the real-estate project development.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

So If I am reading this right, you are looking at £86k minus tax in the UK and now you are planning to move for £100K plus housing benefits etc.

You say most expensive city in Scotland, so Edinburgh.

To me £86K sounds like a very good wage with 17yrs experience and an OU BSc, however, only you know if that is a representative wage for you and your experience / talent or whatever. TBH I don't think if I was in your position (I.e £86K gross) I would move to KSA for only a £100k plus benefits, although maybe that is me being greedy. I think I would be looking for more than that. Admittedly the market has changed quite a bit in the last few years but when I arrived 7 years ago I wasn't a kick in the arse off doubling my UK gross salary. That is working in the construction industry (Consultant Engineer).

Up to you tho. If you think that it's a good move for you then go for it. Moving abroad certainly is an experience!

Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
So If I am reading this right, you are looking at £86k minus tax in the UK and now you are planning to move for £100K plus housing benefits etc.

You say most expensive city in Scotland, so Edinburgh.

To me £86K sounds like a very good wage with 17yrs experience and an OU BSc, however, only you know if that is a representative wage for you and your experience / talent or whatever. TBH I don't think if I was in your position (I.e £86K gross) I would move to KSA for only a £100k plus benefits, although maybe that is me being greedy. I think I would be looking for more than that. Admittedly the market has changed quite a bit in the last few years but when I arrived 7 years ago I wasn't a kick in the arse off doubling my UK gross salary. That is working in the construction industry (Consultant Engineer).

Up to you tho. If you think that it's a good move for you then go for it. Moving abroad certainly is an experience!

Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge.
Eh?

86k in the UK nett is 4,721 a month

Let's say the chap has a car and a mortgage to pay, call that a total of 1,400 quid.

= 3,321 a month in your pocket. (19,926 SAR roughly)

100k with house paid
Can't remember about car, but let's say that's provided too.

So, take home equivalent is 8,333 GBP per month. House and Car paid.

That is 2.5 times the disposable income.

Even if he doesn't pay a mortgage or have a car, it is still 1.76 times the income, almost double the money with no real costs.

OP - Go for it, it's a great package especially if you've got no prior international experience. You'll have 2.5 times more money at the same point of the month (rent and car paid for).
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:01 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Eh?

Let's say the chap has a car and a mortgage to pay, call that a total of 1,400 quid.

100k with house paid

Even if he doesn't pay a mortgage or have a car, it is still 1.76 times the income, almost double the money with no real costs.

OP - Go for it, it's a great package especially if you've got no prior international experience. You'll have 2.5 times more money at the same point of the month (rent and car paid for).
Its a no brainer.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:09 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Eh?

100k with house paid

Agreed.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Its a no brainer.
Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Agreed.
Granted, they are loose figures and we don't know the OPs finer financial details but this is how I work the shit out with every single candidate.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely not seeing KSA as commanding a great increase. Certainly not 20%.

Companies have the attitude of: "Oh, you're not working? We'll offer you Dubai money for Jeddah, interested? No? OK, we'll find someone who is"
You'll at least get 20% on the total package .
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You'll at least get 20% on the total package .
I think you should

But I know plenty of companies that aren't
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should

But I know plenty of companies that aren't
It's an employers market as you well know but i still see the reasoning for an uplift .

It's not a war zone but it's a pure shit hole and life can be extremely difficult at the best of times . If employers can't recognise that then maybe candidates should give them a wide birth ?

Knowing your worth is a tool that many people can't seem to get right .
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:43 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

It's an employers market as you well know but i still see the reasoning for an uplift .

It's not a war zone but it's a pure shit hole and life can be extremely difficult at the best of times . If employers can't recognise that then maybe candidates should give them a wide birth ?

And they are the ones that **** it up for everyone else, be it by lowering the wage or clearing off when they realise how shit it is.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britexpat76
And they are the ones that **** it up for everyone else, be it by lowering the wage or clearing off when they realise how shit it is.
Correctamundo
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:52 am
Banned

If employers can't recognise that then maybe candidates should give them a wide birth ?
Those working in a sector severely affected by the downturn, who still have mortgage, kids and other bills to pay, perhaps this luxury isn't necessarily there.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Those working in a sector severely affected by the downturn, who still have mortgage, kids and other bills to pay, perhaps this luxury isn't necessarily there.
Of course , it fits in nicely with the basic economics of supply and demand . It will have a big impact on the market driven price of employing expats .

My main point still stands on that there should be an uplift on Saudi packages as it can be a very difficult place to operate

To work in Saudi you need to have a certain resilience that others maybe haven't endured . That in itself is worth the uplift .
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:06 am
Account Closed

I agree completely. Many of the businesses now don't want to pay good salaries / packages. The problem is, that good people aren't the ones desperate and they inevitably try to get the good people for the average candidate's salary.

Trust me, it's a ****ing nightmare trying to get good people to change jobs, let alone telling them the offer is x,000 lower than they want / had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.