Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How good a company to work for?

How good a company to work for?

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

david999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How good a company to work for?

Hi all,

Been looking for a job in the ME for some time and finally got a telephone interview arranged for next week. The company is called 'Jacobs ZATE', based in KSA, Al-Khobar. They are part of a massive American company with offices worldwide. I know I have to get past the interview yet, but wondered if anyone here has had any dealings with them, are they a good company to work for, good payers etc?
Appreciate any advice.

Regards
Dave
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How good a company to work for?

Never worked for Jacobs, but worked with them both in the UK and in Bahrain. They all seemed ok with their employer I'd say.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Paracletus.

Regards
Dave
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Well, got past the interview OK.

They are away to make me an offer, after asking for all my edu certs, passport, last payslip etc. Very thorough.

Is it usual to ask for all this at this stage??

Regards
David
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david999
Well, got past the interview OK.

They are away to make me an offer, after asking for all my edu certs, passport, last payslip etc. Very thorough.

Is it usual to ask for all this at this stage??

Regards
David
Last payslip is a bit cheeky. You should tell them you are unable to give it to them due to confidentiality to your current employer.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

That's what I thought as well....but already sent and fortunately its the same amount as I put on the initial form they had me filling in!

As regards basic salary, is it still somewhere in the region of gross UK pay plus 10%?

TIA
David
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david999
That's what I thought as well....but already sent and fortunately its the same amount as I put on the initial form they had me filling in!

As regards basic salary, is it still somewhere in the region of gross UK pay plus 10%?

TIA
David
With Saudi, there are a lot of things to consider. Are they paying for decent accommodation? What leave/ flight provision is on offer? Are they offering you a company car? All these have to be taken into consideration, as Saudi is still a hardship posting, and without any of the aforementioned, is a waste of time even thinking about.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:52 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I find the previous salary to be largely irrelevant especially when changing continents. It is the meeting of your expectations and their budget that matters.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
I find the previous salary to be largely irrelevant especially when changing continents. It is the meeting of your expectations and their budget that matters.
Exactly, and as the O.P. has pointed out that it is an international American company operating is Saudi, featherbed packages are the order of the day.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:12 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Exactly, and as the O.P. has pointed out that it is an international American company operating is Saudi, featherbed packages are the order of the day.
Regretfully the HRs are stuffed with local dummies so hence this nonsense about getting a form to fill in to tell them your current salary. I also work for a multinational and as far as the recruitment was concerned the bits conducted by westerners were ok an most stuff involving local HR was pure nonsense.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Regretfully the HRs are stuffed with local dummies so hence this nonsense about getting a form to fill in to tell them your current salary. I also work for a multinational and as far as the recruitment was concerned the bits conducted by westerners were ok an most stuff involving local HR was pure nonsense.
Something very strange happens to H.R. imbeciles when they step foot into the middle east. It does not matter what nationality they are, they all revert into small minded , power crazed twunts, with absolutely NO exception...
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Woah, lots of replies, thank you all.

All I know at this point is that they indeed provide (very nice by the sound of it) accommodation, company car / petrol and health and dental insurance. I guess its now a waiting game, probably not too long as they are looking to get me over ASAP and my notice period is 3 months!
I'll keep you posted.

By the way, why is it considered a 'hardship posting', apart from the lack of booze and women having to wear the abaya and can't drive, I'd have thought it was on par with the rest of the GCC countries?

Cheers
David
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

In my line of work, current/previous salary would certainly be regarded as competitor-sensitive information. My contract forbids me from disclosing it for up to TWO YEARS after I leave. It's outrageous that they ask for it.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
In my line of work, current/previous salary would certainly be regarded as competitor-sensitive information. My contract forbids me from disclosing it for up to TWO YEARS after I leave. It's outrageous that they ask for it.
Never heard of that before, you must be in a real top notch position.

Regards
David
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

By the way, why is it considered a 'hardship posting', apart from the lack of booze and women having to wear the abaya and can't drive, I'd have thought it was on par with the rest of the GCC countries?

You are in for a bit of a shock, Khobar is the best of a craphole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.