Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How does your company cover your accommodation cost?

View Poll Results: How does your company cover accommodation costs?
Co pays directly, snr mgmnt only
11.11%
Co pays directly, snr & middle mgmnt
50.00%
Co pays employee, yrly in advance, snr mgmnt only
0%
Co pays employee, yrly in advance, snr & middle mgmnt
16.67%
Co pays employee, monthly, snr mgmnt only
0%
Co pays employee, monthly, snr & middle mgmnt
38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

How does your company cover your accommodation cost?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How does your company cover your accommodation cost?

How does your company cover accommodation costs?

I'm trying to establish the norm for western and Indian expats in senior and middle management / senior technical roles in respect of how companies in the region pay for accommodation.

"Co pays directly" means that the company leases accommodation in its name, for the employee's use.
"Co pays employee, yrly in advance" means that the company pays the employee the full amount of the annual lease in advance (or if, for example, a lease is payable in 2 cheques, then the company pays the employee 6-monthly in advance), but the employee takes the lease agreement in his own name.
"Co pays employee, monthly" means that the housing allowance in included in the employee's monthly gross remuneration.

You can select multiple answers if your company pays in a variety of ways.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover your accommodation cost?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How does your company cover accommodation costs?

I'm trying to establish the norm for western and Indian expats in senior and middle management / senior technical roles in respect of how companies in the region pay for accommodation.

"Co pays directly" means that the company leases accommodation in its name, for the employee's use.
"Co pays employee, yrly in advance" means that the company pays the employee the full amount of the annual lease in advance (or if, for example, a lease is payable in 2 cheques, then the company pays the employee 6-monthly in advance), but the employee takes the lease agreement in his own name.
"Co pays employee, monthly" means that the housing allowance in included in the employee's monthly gross remuneration.

You can select multiple answers if your company pays in a variety of ways.

Thanks
You're implying that there is always a housing 'element' in the calculation of a salary.

I just get a single lump sum (admittedly, it's more than 'enough' to pay my monthly outgoings) and I'm on my own after that. My employer has no idea how much my accomodation costs. In fact, mine is a sort of just-like-the-UK arrangement, except I don't pay tax here.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I get a monthly contribution towards rent included in my salary- doesnt cover what i pay but works better for me as my bonus is based on my basic salary so would rather have more in that than in my extras.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You're implying that there is always a housing 'element' in the calculation of a salary.

I just get a single lump sum (admittedly, it's more than 'enough' to pay my monthly outgoings) and I'm on my own after that. My employer has no idea how much my accomodation costs. In fact, mine is a sort of just-like-the-UK arrangement, except I don't pay tax here.
Yep, that's my assumption--if you're an expat then, generally, you're going to have to have accommodation here which is a cost additional to that you'd incur at home. OK, I know there are expats who don't have a home back home, but there's still a general assumption that an expat's total remuneration out here includes an accommodation allowance, whether paid / identified separately or part of the single lump sum.

Thanks for answers so far
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

company pays months as a separate benefit (depending on the grade)

i did look at "buying" a property in Kuwait (via a wakalah or a jualah ) but never got around to it

Last edited by UKCityGent; Jul 18th 2011 at 1:48 pm. Reason: .
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I ticked two options, the company provides 2 options: either take the house or apartment offered (grade dependent) or take the allowance (annual upfront). The allowance is currently about half of how much our company house would cost and, at one point was worth only a quarter of the value.

If you go out on your own, they like you to be truly on your own, you ungrateful bastards.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

I insist on "Salary is Salary!" - No Splits or Apportionments. Give me a Fully Incluisive Salary, and I will look after Accommodation and Car, etc. So my Salary is 100% - With the benefit coming with the Gratuity at the end. With 'Local Employers' this will always be a problem; as they are driven by the 'Bottom Line!'

Most Employers try to drive down the Salary through 'Allowances' in order to minimise Gratuity Payments! - Never go lower than a 70% 30% Split! And also think yourself 'Lucky' if you get the Gratuity Sum paid before you leave! - Construction is one of the worst areas where 'Gratuity' has to be forfeited!

If the Employer goes bust tomorrow, I only have one problem and not three! - I still have my own car and apartment; I only need to find another job!

Also make sure that you have a 'War Chest' just in-case things go wrong!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Company pays the rent directly. My accommodation allowance also includes utilities, phone, TV, internet etc.

So if I max out using the allowance on rent for housing alone, I pay the bills myself. If I'm under the ceiling then I can use whatever is left to pay the bills.