Help! Newbie in Town.....

Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Pips666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Newbie in Town.....

Hi and hello!

I was hoping you might may be able to help. My hubby has just landed a job in the Zayed Military hospital and has got an offer for 32,000 aed. He gets his flights and 10k/child education grant, does this sound ok?

My biggest stumbling block is finding an english circulum school for my girls and starting half way through the year. Does anyone know of any schools that are accepting? I've contacted a few but they all want 500-2000aed just to register......

Lastly!! I'm really on the fence about whether I want to work or live the life of luxury - can I afford it? How much is a maid/nanny and anyone heard of my job in the UAE - I am an occupational health manager (a nurse that looks after the employed population....)

God any other tips would be so welcome!!! Can't wait really!!

Love Pips
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Newbie in Town.....

Originally Posted by Pips666
Hi and hello!

I was hoping you might may be able to help. My hubby has just landed a job in the Zayed Military hospital and has got an offer for 32,000 aed. He gets his flights and 10k/child education grant, does this sound ok?

My biggest stumbling block is finding an english circulum school for my girls and starting half way through the year. Does anyone know of any schools that are accepting? I've contacted a few but they all want 500-2000aed just to register......

Lastly!! I'm really on the fence about whether I want to work or live the life of luxury - can I afford it? How much is a maid/nanny and anyone heard of my job in the UAE - I am an occupational health manager (a nurse that looks after the employed population....)

God any other tips would be so welcome!!! Can't wait really!!

Love Pips
Hi and welcome to BE. Does the 32k include your housing? and education? if not I can't see you being a lady of leisure.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Pips666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Housing yes, ed no....so I should give up the sun tan ideal then...
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe... maybe not.

32k + housing isn't awful. How many children do you have? if more than one, then it could be a struggle. How old are the kids?

As for being a maid / nanny, you are competing with the pinoys who earn c. 1000 AED / month. That said, as a brit, you might get a nanny job for a senior local family who might pay very well indeed.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Maybe... maybe not.

32k + housing isn't awful. How many children do you have? if more than one, then it could be a struggle. How old are the kids?

As for being a maid / nanny, you are competing with the pinoys who earn c. 1000 AED / month. That said, as a brit, you might get a nanny job for a senior local family who might pay very well indeed.
she doesn't want to be a maid!! she wants to employ one
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
she doesn't want to be a maid!! she wants to employ one
if you can't beat them join them.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
if you can't beat them join them.
You have to go to Saudi to be allowed to beat them.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're not very clear.

Does the 32K/month include housing - in other words you need to pay for housing out of the 32K, or is there a separate housing allowance? If so how much is it? To be on the safe side you'll need a minimum of 120-130K for a 3-bed villa, or 80K for a 2-bed apartment.

Is the 10K for schooling per term or for year? I hope it's the former as the latter would be insulting.

You can get a maid for 1500/month but there's around 10K worth of sponsorship fees every year. You may be better off with a part time maid once weekly to do the heavy cleaning for 500 a month.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Holly Wood is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how many ankle-biters you have but you used girl plural so guessing 2 .If the 32K AED does not include schooling then you may want to step back from the deal and weigh it all up. Are you AD bound? If so, Brit curric schools places here are like hen's teeth. How old are they?Housing will be where? As for the sun tan - it's brassic morning and night here at the moment.Tan, shman, but then I'm thin blooded
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Holly Wood
Not sure how many ankle-biters you have but you used girl plural so guessing 2 .If the 32K AED does not include schooling then you may want to step back from the deal and weigh it all up. Are you AD bound? If so, Brit curric schools places here are like hen's teeth. How old are they?Housing will be where? As for the sun tan - it's brassic morning and night here at the moment.Tan, shman, but then I'm thin blooded
yeah it's that cold I have got my electric blanket out ....