Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

guess what.... but a little different.. :)

guess what.... but a little different.. :)

Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Rhino1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: guess what.... but a little different.. :)

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
600 pounds difference? I don't know the specific living costs very well so the figures mentioned below are very approximate just to show the principle.

UAE: 3,375 pounds monthly salary - 900 pounds living costs = 2475 pounds saved every month.

UK: 2,750 pounds monthly salary after taxes - 1100 for an apartment - 900 pounds for other living costs = 750 pounds saved every month.

So, for every year you will save 9000 pounds in the UK and 29700 pounds in the UAE unless living with your parents. Even larger difference if your monthly living costs are higher than 900 pounds.

As been previously pointed out, money isn't everything. You can't take a few long vacations instead?
Yea, living with my parents. So subtract that 1100 from the equation leaving 2750 - 900 (which is fine) = 1850 saved monthly

totals:
UAE = 29700
UK = 22,200

Trust me, I have taken really extended holidays were possible..
Money isnt everything is a myth..
1. health (no value)
2. money
3. everything else

"If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some"
-Benjamin Franklin
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry- you're 30 and going to be living with your parents? Won't you kill them after a week?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
sorry- you're 30 and going to be living with your parents? Won't you kill them after a week?
My mate, his new wife and baby moved back to his parents when we was 33... it lasted 6 months can you imagine that?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse

Quote:

My mate, his new wife and baby moved back to his parents when we was 33... it lasted 6 months can you imagine that?
It would be a bloodbath! I mean I love them but 48 hours is my limit then I need to run away and drink alcohol.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a bloodbath! I mean I love them but 48 hours is my limit then I need to run away and drink alcohol.
I did 8 hours with my mum recently - I was begging to get back on a plane.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhino1
Kitty - I feel the EXACT same pain. I came back from my Christmas vacation and stepped out into the open on the exit gates were the taxi stand is and literally shed a tear. Nobody get's it as you say. London has charisma. You go out and you WILL meet someone, even if they just ask you for a light
There are parks! for heavens sake at least there is a 'usable' pavement.

Going to tesco, sainsbury, waitrose, wherever and hearing them say thanks while handing your change makes you feel warm.

I go as often as I can. Even for 10 days. I miss ALL my family and friends.

I've tried asking for a payrise in November but apparently the company hasnt got much money at the present time.

I love your selling soul message - this is indeed what we are doing.
Money rules us - no matter how much we deny, money really is the power.
Whereabouts are you living?

There are parks in Dubai. And pavements in many areas. The staff in supermarkets are usually very polite I find.

You also said in an earlier post "The place has no life or spirit." I wonder where you have been hanging out and with whom.

Dubai has many failings, but it's not bereft of good people or 'spirit'. It's not London, but then London has many failings too.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Actually, I get on quite well with them. They're pretty young and we have a good time. Most of the time that is...

Last edited by Rhino1; Jan 13th 2013 at 9:30 am.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Whereabouts are you living?

There are parks in Dubai. And pavements in many areas. The staff in supermarkets are usually very polite I find.

You also said in an earlier post "The place has no life or spirit." I wonder where you have been hanging out and with whom.

Dubai has many failings, but it's not bereft of good people or 'spirit'. It's not London, but then London has many failings too.
1. Abu Dhabi
2. Parks are all fake and the heat really doesnt help walking in them, no good.
3. Again I live in Abu Dhabi so that might be the reason. Can you make a few recommendations as where to go and where to meet people?

4. It's not so much a bereft of good people or spirit I agree. It's just such a small quantity of it.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, I always feel AD has a bit more to it.

Anyway - you are done here my friend. Time to go.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Strange, I always feel AD has a bit more to it.

Anyway - you are done here my friend. Time to go.
Your very right actually. I prefer AD over Dubai.
Yea, i'm being too horrible about it - I'm just tired of the place I guess.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Your very right actually. I prefer AD over Dubai.
Yea, i'm being too horrible about it - I'm just tired of the place I guess.
What about a different job? Maybe one in Dubai or Doha?

What about different region? HK? Singapore? Europe? US and A?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
What about a different job? Maybe one in Dubai or Doha?

What about different region? HK? Singapore? Europe? US and A?
Doha is something I would like to dip my toe in. I'm sure its similar to here but the football is coming up. Would be nice to be part of the transforming city.

I'd LOVE to try Hong Kong and Singapore.

Wouldnt mind living in Italy either. I adore the place.
US is just too big, it really is one massive fish tank. Your either a gold fish or a Shark. Or a whale if you get me
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Doha is something I would like to dip my toe in. I'm sure its similar to here but the football is coming up. Would be nice to be part of the transforming city.

I'd LOVE to try Hong Kong and Singapore.

Wouldnt mind living in Italy either. I adore the place.
US is just too big, it really is one massive fish tank. Your either a gold fish or a Shark. Or a whale if you get me
Why not start hunting in Qatar then?

See what you can find?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

1. Abu Dhabi
2. Parks are all fake and the heat really doesnt help walking in them, no good.
3. Again I live in Abu Dhabi so that might be the reason. Can you make a few recommendations as where to go and where to meet people?

4. It's not so much a bereft of good people or spirit I agree. It's just such a small quantity of it.
What do you mean by the 'parks are fake'? They have real grass and trees, don't they? The parks in London are manmade, but just a lot older. You live in the ME, so of course it's going to be hot for most of the year, but we do have beaches.

You can meet good or bad people anywhere. You just have to keep going out, trying different things and be open-minded and you'll eventually meet people you get on with. Maybe you should join some clubs?

There may be shallow types in the UAE, but they are everywhere, even in the UK. Just avoid that crowd and the places they hang out. I don't agree when people say it's hard to meet lost of decent people in AD or Dubai, but it does take time and effort. Much of it however, is a mindset.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why not start hunting in Qatar then?
See what you can find?
For goodness sake. If he finds AD fake then how on earth is he going to find Qatar? It's very much worse, surely? Why not go back to London and see how it goes. He can always come back out here again later on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.