British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   guess what.... but a little different.. :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/guess-what-but-little-different-783419/)

Rhino1 Jan 12th 2013 4:18 pm

Re: guess what.... but a little different.. :)

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10479071)
I think Kit and Rhino should go out on a date. Although, I suspect it would all end in tears.

hahah - why end up in tears though..?
We'd end up in hyde park on the serpentine riding boats and it will end happily ever after ;)

Rhino1 Jan 12th 2013 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken (Post 10479028)
Negative taxation?

www.listentotaxman.com (yep after tax) :)

Do you have like a separate building to live in? Otherwise, have you lived with your parents when you were 25+ more than a few months in a row?

good question... nop :)

Myusernamewastaken Jan 12th 2013 4:41 pm

good question... nop
Good, because otherwise I strongly suspect that you wouldn't contemplate to live with your parents more than temporarily even if you do and will get along well. Please don't ask me how I know this.

kittycat1 Jan 12th 2013 4:48 pm

Millhouse, I didn't have you down as a Cilla!

Myusernamewastaken Jan 12th 2013 4:51 pm

So 3300 sterling ended up at around 58K per year after tax

Negative taxation?

www.listentotaxman.com (yep after tax)
3300 times 12 is 39,6K. Or what do you mean?

Rhino1 Jan 12th 2013 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken (Post 10479144)
Good, because otherwise I strongly suspect that you wouldn't contemplate to live with your parents more than temporarily even if you do and will get along well. Please don't ask me how I know this.

this is a good point - but you always got the best western if you saved enough ;)

go the site, put in 58k in the gross yearly salary and look at the monthly pay table..

Rhino1 Jan 12th 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken (Post 10479144)

btw.... how do you know this....? i'm curios actually...?

scot47 Jan 12th 2013 7:49 pm

"3300 times 12 is 39,6K. Or what do you mean?"

It means that the poster cannot count.

Myusernamewastaken Jan 12th 2013 10:40 pm

600 pounds difference? I don't know the specific living costs very well so the figures mentioned below are very approximate just to show the principle.

UAE: 3,375 pounds monthly salary - 900 pounds living costs = 2475 pounds saved every month.

UK: 2,750 pounds monthly salary after taxes - 1100 for an apartment - 900 pounds for other living costs = 750 pounds saved every month.

So, for every year you will save 9000 pounds in the UK and 29700 pounds in the UAE unless living with your parents. Even larger difference if your monthly living costs are higher than 900 pounds.

As been previously pointed out, money isn't everything. You can't take a few long vacations instead?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2013 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10479071)
I think Kit and Rhino should go out on a date. Although, I suspect it would all end in tears.

:rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by Rhino1 (Post 10479119)
hahah - why end up in tears though..?
We'd end up in hyde park on the serpentine riding boats and it will end happily ever after ;)

That is the Londoner not in London anymore view.

Go back, in 6 months you'll be spending every weekend getting out of London, fending off muggings and trying to not get stabbed. You'll still be moaning that the prick in costa who ****s up your latte everyday can't speak English.

London. The only city that is genuinely awesome yet consistently overrated. Somehow.

Theseus Jan 13th 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10479796)

Go back, in 6 months you'll be spending every weekend getting out of London, fending off muggings and trying to not get stabbed. You'll still be moaning that the prick in costa who ****s up your latte everyday can't speak English.

London. The only city that is genuinely awesome yet consistently overrated. Somehow.

Its the chuggings that are the worst (charity muggings) - i've never actually been mugged mind you. everyday you have to run the "chugger" gauntlet to get to the tube. The trouble is most of us are so skint in london just paying for our travel and rent that you just rush past trying not to make eye contact because you feel too guilty saying no all the time.

*edited to add that i am aware of how bad chugger sounds

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2013 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10479843)
Its the chuggings that are the worst (charity muggings) - i've never actually been mugged mind you. everyday you have to run the "chugger" gauntlet to get to the tube. The trouble is most of us are so skint in london just paying for our travel and rent that you just rush past trying not to make eye contact because you feel too guilty saying no all the time.

Never felt guilty about telling them no, when I was in the UK I picked a charity every year or so and did the direct debit every month. That way you can do your bit every year without signing up to millions.

Rhino1 Jan 13th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10479796)

the prick in costa who ****s up your latte everyday can't "

1. That's totally subject to your experience... Carry a knife too, second ammendment in the US no..? hahah :)
2. Go to nero or starbucks or apostrophie or pret or etc. etc. ;)
3. Explore it all first mate (if thats possible)..

Rhino1 Jan 13th 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10479843)

*edited to add that i am aware of how bad chugger sounds

Just say to them that you got fired today :)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Rhino1 (Post 10479862)
1. That's totally subject to your experience... Carry a knife too, second ammendment in the US no..? hahah :)
2. Go to nero or starbucks or apostrophie or pret or etc. etc. ;)
3. Explore it all first mate (if thats possible)..

Of course, I'm just being a bit awkward. Grass isn't always greener though.