Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener across the Atlantic

Is the grass greener across the Atlantic

Old May 9th 2012, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

ExArab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the grass greener across the Atlantic

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to UAE (open to other spots in MENA) within one year. A little background about myself.

Masters degree in international finance from United Kingdom. Almost all of work experience in the US. By the time I move in 2013, I will have almost 10 years of experience. All of it is as a consultant (process improvement/change, business analysis) in banking and capital markets. Have been with the largest big 4 consulting firm for the past 1 year and before that many years of independent and smaller company consulting.
I am hoping to work for an international bank in Middle East but am open to the big 4 as well. Currently make 120K/year excluding bonus. What should be my expectation in terms of salary, housing allowance, tickets, holidays and bonuses?
Insights from professionals with similar profiles appreciated. Is Dubai better than Doha or vice-verse in terms of monetary offering. I have read that Doha is where Dubai was 10-15 years ago in terms of living standards.

As a disclaimer, I have a very good life style here in the US (no kids) and the only reason I want to try Middle East out is to gain experience in an emerging market and of course the tax free money is always a draw.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

bri landy guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the grass greener across the Atlantic

hi

jobs are slowing down here and wages are dropping i have had a lot of good friends lost there jobs here and get new wages and housing health care packages are getting lower.

but you come and try, look on all the job web site you mite just get what you are looking for.

as for Qatar i go there twice a week, west bay is ok and out on the pearl is nice but the main Doha tower centre is a dump and costs for apartments are around a further 30,000qr more then Dubai every thing is more expensive in qatar hire car 170qrdoha dubai 99aed same car.

and only 7 bars so if you like you social life you will be like the other 100 or so people on the thursday flight back to dubai.

hope this helps
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

ExArab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the grass greener across the Atlantic

bri landy guy, thank you for your response. That is what I have been hearing as well. I guess its the luck of the draw at this time.