Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Future job prospect for accountant

Future job prospect for accountant

Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

chillisoup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future job prospect for accountant

Hi All,

I’d like to get some advice on whether to move to Dubai or not. Any of your advice is highly appreciated!

Here is my situation:
Degree from a UK university
5 years plus accounting experience in industry, currently working in London. £47k+bonus
1 year post qualified ACCA member
Hong Kong origin, asian face, but got British passport recently
Married and now have a 9months old baby

With my age and personal/family situation, this is deemed to be the ‘right’ time to move on and I really am looking to be in a more senior role, in London.

Me and my partner both enjoy life/work in London, and we live a OK life in London. But also look forward a bit of change of weather, commute, and experience the lifestyle in Dubai. I’ve been several times, couple of weeks each time and do like it.

And, I recently got offered for the same role from the same company to relocate, salary is AED300k(incl. allowances)+bonus. I understand this is a good offer but not necessary an exciting number, however, with my partner (accountant too) working we should be able to have similar standard of life as we do in London. I’d prob rent an apartment@120k and get a life. If you agree, please continue to read and help, otherwise feel free to stop me right here

To fully convinced myself, I am assuming that I will look elsewhere for other opportunities in one year’s time in Dubai (I know I'll fed up with my role in a year's time). This means I need to sacrifice one year of my career time in order to relate to a place that I'd like to experience,

My questions are:
what’s the likelihood to get a senior role as my next move (a level that would normally pay £55k-£60k in London) in industry (non banking)??
If so, are there a fair number of this kind of opportunities?
If so, am I (a HK origin with British passport) likely to get this level of salary?

Or, should I just forget about this offer and stay in London? Any suggestions are welcome and highly appreciated!!

Cheers.