First interview

Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First interview

Hi all,

I have a phone interview coming up with a potential employer. next week I will know if its just voice or video conference, who will run the interview, format etc...

I've read few threads here however there were not many recent discussion on this topic..

just trying to gather some info before hand...

Outside the std interview questions what should I expect? What will the format be like? This will be my first phone interview with a UAE company, any experience / advice appreciated.

Also, am I right to assume the expectation will be for the candidate to be present in person for the final interview if things progress?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: First interview

By no means comprehensive but got the useful basics in it;

http://www.randstadmena.com/applican...eer-tools.html

Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai
Hi all,

I have a phone interview coming up with a potential employer. next week I will know if its just voice or video conference, who will run the interview, format etc...

I've read few threads here however there were not many recent discussion on this topic..

just trying to gather some info before hand...

Outside the std interview questions what should I expect? What will the format be like? This will be my first phone interview with a UAE company, any experience / advice appreciated.

Also, am I right to assume the expectation will be for the candidate to be present in person for the final interview if things progress?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
By no means comprehensive but got the useful basics in it;

http://www.randstadmena.com/applican...eer-tools.html
thank you!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

I am now in the final interview - which again will be a phone interview. I was expecting an in person interview in UAE as I thought they might want to see me in person - is it normal for companies to hire ppl 100% based on phone interview - not even a skype interview!

Bit of a concern - My current notice period is 3 months; I informed this at the HR screening interview stage (said negotiable 3 months) As I understand UAEs are very impatient and wont wait for three months.... In worse case; I will have to serve 3 month notice - is this a big negative?

comments and "good luck" wishes welcome :-)
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

3 month notice period isn't ideal but they are aware of it already so they wouldn't let it get this far if it was that much of a put off. I have a 3 month notice period here so they practice here as well so I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't meant to be then the jobs obviously not right for you.

It takes a while to get all the paperwork done anyway so this might be fine for them, and they can start processing your visa etc whilst you are still in Blighty. It took me 4 months after I started negotiating the job to move out here.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1
It takes a while to get all the paperwork done anyway so this might be fine for them, and they can start processing your visa etc whilst you are still in Blighty. It took me 4 months after I started negotiating the job to move out here.
Thanks for that... question... if i am succesful in the interview and they want to offer the job... at what point do I take it as a "done deal" before informing the current employer - i.e. at the time of they say YES and send the contract by email with a starting date 3 months from now (obviously, happy to start early if my currentl employer let me go off early) or should I wait for the visas etc to be finalised?

Also; will there be a situation of a conditional offer i.e. if you are available in 2 months we will offer the job?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai
Thanks for that... question... if i am succesful in the interview and they want to offer the job... at what point do I take it as a "done deal" before informing the current employer - i.e. at the time of they say YES and send the contract by email with a starting date 3 months from now (obviously, happy to start early if my currentl employer let me go off early) or should I wait for the visas etc to be finalised?

Also; will there be a situation of a conditional offer i.e. if you are available in 2 months we will offer the job?

Thanks in advance!!
it is only a done deal when you have a residence visa in your hand and you have received your first pay cheque. At that point, they can fire you at the drop of a hat.

Personally, I would want to see "progress" from their side -requests of Visa related info, security clearances, purchase of the flights out etc. I didn't resign from my last place until I had completed all my security clearances (if you have to go through that). Stay in contact with them.

As for notice periods - I've had a variety of 3 & 6 month notice periods - not once have I worked the whole amount - speak to your existing employer and be open about it.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks for the inpu. . . Keep you posted on the outcome. .
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

[QUOTE=Millhouse;9642783]it is only a done deal when you have a residence visa in your hand QUOTE]

What's a visa?

6 Months and counting.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Scamp;9644083]
Originally Posted by Millhouse
it is only a done deal when you have a residence visa in your hand QUOTE]

What's a visa?

6 Months and counting.
Hate to tell you but that makes you an illegal! Go careful.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:59 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=soukie;9644638]
Originally Posted by Scamp

Hate to tell you but that makes you an illegal! Go careful.

my passport is a collection of Dubai entry and exit stamps with only a few days splitting the exit and next entry. My bank account here has a monthly transfer of funds from an employer and has done for the last 6 months.

At least I've not been making it obvious.