Finance market in Dubai

Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:01 am
Just Joined

HWD008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finance market in Dubai

Originally Posted by Millhouse

almost identical numbers to my first post

I would imagine the recruiters are saying it’s a great tax free uplift and everything will be golden. What do you think scamp? 😂
Funnily enough that’s exactly what they’re saying 🤣.

It sounds like the feedback that unless we are talking 50k/month it’s best to stay put.

Thanks everyone, will let you know if anything decent materialises!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd be saying 45 is not doable if you want to save any money. It's doable if you want to live here and post photos on Insta for the knobheads back home.
for a family of 4 with one working parent it's gotta be more. Especially if you want a maid and to go to brunches and be able to clothe your family.
That's why you're a decent chap. You don't **** people over.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

so basically what you are saying is he needs 50k. If they paid his rent it would be even better!
In my experience, school fees are usually a separate item in salary negotiations, either fully reimbursed or a contribution provided. So when you're quoted a salary, it's usually all-inclusive except schooling. I would imagine that would the case for the Finance Director salary of 40k that has been mentioned.

Plus it's better to negotiate your salary exclusive of school fees as they increase as your child gets older and are also uplifted every year at a rate higher than most salary increases. Let the company absorb that cost.

So if you negotiate a salary of 40k + schooling, you're saving about AED 13k per month.

Last edited by Gavtek; Aug 21st 2019 at 11:06 am.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That's why you're a decent chap. You don't **** people over.
I dunno mate, I'm still hiring people from the UK to work on Expo....

Originally Posted by Gavtek
In my experience, school fees are usually a separate item in salary negotiations, either fully reimbursed or a contribution provided. So when you're quoted a salary, it's usually all-inclusive except schooling. I would imagine that would the case for the Finance Director salary of 40k that has been mentioned.

Plus it's better to negotiate your salary exclusive of school fees as they increase as your child gets older and are also uplifted every year at a rate higher than most salary increases. Let the company absorb that cost.

So if you negotiate a salary of 40k + schooling, you're saving about AED 13k per month.
Depends on industry. I don't know of many construction / property / engineering type organisations that pay schooling. We're an all in number + medical + visa. The cash covers everything, including flights.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I dunno mate, I'm still hiring people from the UK to work on Expo....

Depends on industry. I don't know of many construction / property / engineering type organisations that pay schooling. We're an all in number + medical + visa. The cash covers everything, including flights.
Finance is usually all settled in cash.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

HWD008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Back again looking for some more advice....

As suggested throughout this thread the feedback from recruiters has been that the market is tough, especially whilst trying to find a job from the UK. Although a large number of recruiters haven’t actually responded to phone calls, emails or LinkedIn.

I would be able to arrange a fleeting visit to Dubai at relatively short notice. It would be feasible for me to fly in on a Saturday and then leave tues evening which would give me 3 days to meet with recruiters, a longer trip would require slightly more planning due to work commitments in the UK.

Would a small trip be worth in order to make an impression with the recruiters and get them to take my application seriously? I seem to have hit a dead end at the moment. I have historically had a lot of success when looking for a new position in the UK, largely due to my big 4 experience and the fact that I have been promoted internally since being in industry....the complete lack of engagement is a problem I haven’t previously encountered.

Any constructive advice much appreciated, and unfortunately I don’t have a large network in the region.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HWD008
Hi Guys,

Back again looking for some more advice....

As suggested throughout this thread the feedback from recruiters has been that the market is tough, especially whilst trying to find a job from the UK. Although a large number of recruiters haven’t actually responded to phone calls, emails or LinkedIn.

I would be able to arrange a fleeting visit to Dubai at relatively short notice. It would be feasible for me to fly in on a Saturday and then leave tues evening which would give me 3 days to meet with recruiters, a longer trip would require slightly more planning due to work commitments in the UK.

Would a small trip be worth in order to make an impression with the recruiters and get them to take my application seriously? I seem to have hit a dead end at the moment. I have historically had a lot of success when looking for a new position in the UK, largely due to my big 4 experience and the fact that I have been promoted internally since being in industry....the complete lack of engagement is a problem I haven’t previously encountered.

Any constructive advice much appreciated, and unfortunately I don’t have a large network in the region.
The lack of recruiter engagement is not unsurprising; they probably don't have any jobs anyway. In my experience recruiters here are impossible to get hold of unless they want something from you - it's not like the UK at all. Best approach here is to network like crazy and buy lots of coffee for people. Linkedin to people in the companies you are interested in, not recruiters.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m ex-big 4 and your only way to get a good role here is through your own personal network. Otherwise you’re in open competition against cheaper ex-big 4 staff from the subcontinent.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't fly in, turn up and try to meet recruiters unless they ask you to come in. Being doorstepped by candidates is the worst thing ever.

Network. You must know people here who are in the industry.
Apply directly, find the recruiter in the companies you want to work for.
Recruiters will be useful when they have a role you might be good for. Yes, you need to have a relationship (slightly) with them to make sure they remember you but that can be done over the phone.

Trip is pointless in my opinion, just spend that time applying and ringing and battering your network.