British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Experience but no Degree (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/experience-but-no-degree-725606/)

dagwood Jul 20th 2011 8:25 am

Experience but no Degree

So my wife has got a job as a teacher and we will be arriving in Abu Dhabi in the next few weeks. I am a cisco network and security engineer (CCNP) with over 8 years experience working for large multi-national companies in both technical and project management roles, however I do not have any formal qulifications in IT. Every advert I've seen asks for a degree or masters in IT. Do any of you recruitment consultants out there know if this is absolutely a must as
1 - I do not know of any degree or masters program that can train you as a cisco engineer
2 - I know I will be competing against people from the sub-continent but does experience and quality count for anything.

I have never had any problems with finding work/contracts in the UK.

Any insights will be welcome

Also will it worth my while taking a year out to do a masters in IT as I see a couple of British universities have a presence in dubai.

Oyibopeppeh Jul 20th 2011 9:14 am

Re: Experience but no Degree

it's more often related to immigration procedures rather than as a prerequisite for the job, since it's easier for the employer to process your residents visa and labour card if the candidate is degree qualified.

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2011 9:24 am

Have a friend here who has a fairly good job in IT, no degree just lots of experience (and is working towards his Cisco accreditation here). Just makes visa processing easier.

dagwood Jul 20th 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9506531)
it's more often related to immigration procedures rather than as a prerequisite for the job, since it's easier for the employer to process your residents visa and labour card if the candidate is degree qualified.

I do have a degree but it is in Financial Services so not IT related and most jobs I have seen ask for a degree or masters in IT related field. However I have always worked in IT.

Oyibopeppeh Jul 20th 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 9506558)
I do have a degree but it is in Financial Services so not IT related and most jobs I have seen ask for a degree or masters in IT related field. However I have always worked in IT.

For immigration purposes, it doesn't matter if the degree subject and job title don't match.

dagwood Jul 20th 2011 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9506562)
For immigration purposes, it doesn't matter if the degree subject and job title don't match.

Ok so back to my original question how big a deal is it not to have a degree in IT to get a job in Networking as most of the jobs I've applied for I never got a reply.
I've read and heard that it's easier once you are in the UAE.