British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Etihad offer - Manager M2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/etihad-offer-manager-m2-921386/)

Mcshane Jan 24th 2019 6:31 pm

Etihad offer - Manager M2

Hi,
I work in in financial services in the UK on 120k p/y, have this offer on the table. I have 15 years experience in my field.
My feeling is this offer is not worth moving for as it’s actually would mean I’d save less than I do in the UK!

22k basic 13k housing 3k other
38k total per month.
+20k one off moving amount
+36k schooling per year

I have one baby and a wife. Thoughts on the offer?
Thanks

SandyMcSand Jan 26th 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Etihad offer - Manager M2

Not bad. But I’d suggest you could be earning more especially with 15 years under your belt. I’ve got 10 years experience sitting on 42k pm. But that doesn’t include schooling.

GolfGardener Jan 28th 2019 12:44 pm

That's a very bad offer from a financial perspective - there's no way anyone should move from the UK to Abu Dhabi for a lower package.

Also, you'd be working for Etihad.

Millhouse Jan 30th 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by GolfGardener (Post 12628571)
That's a very bad offer from a financial perspective - there's no way anyone should move from the UK to Abu Dhabi for a lower package.

Also, you'd be working for Etihad.

only out buy a factor of 2

Gavtek Jan 30th 2019 9:03 am

It's a good offer if you're moving from a job paying GBP 50-60k per year. Otherwise, no.

Plus working for Etihad may not be so stable at the moment...

Mcshane Jan 30th 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks for the very helpful responses, it confirms what I thought.
I don’t really understand why they would make such a lowball offer, when they know my current package.

Millhouse Jan 31st 2019 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Mcshane (Post 12630004)
Thanks for the very helpful responses, it confirms what I thought.
I don’t really understand why they would make such a lowball offer, when they know my current package.

becuase:
1. They think it’s tax free
2. Some suckers take it
3. They can employ a very grateful Indian for less.

Mcshane Feb 9th 2019 2:30 pm

They came back increasing the base by 5k AED and upping the schooling to 50k. Financially the offer is now close to what I’m on, but still not sure.

Any thoughts on working for Etihad?

Millhouse Feb 9th 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mcshane (Post 12634724)
They came back increasing the base by 5k AED and upping the schooling to 50k. Financially the offer is now close to what I’m on, but still not sure.

Any thoughts on working for Etihad?

why don’t you ask on the pprune forum - it’s the only airline that they are not allowed to discuss due to legal action 😖

GolfGardener Feb 9th 2019 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12634765)
why don’t you ask on the pprune forum - it’s the only airline that they are not allowed to discuss due to legal action 😖

They also have huge numbers of ex-employees who, for legal reasons, might not be able to give you their opinion.

Mcshane Feb 14th 2019 10:38 am

Thanks for the heads up on Etihad. It does seem a bit unstable.

I’ve also run the numbers again and the joining allowance of 20k AED will only just cover the agents fees, deposit etc. They’ll be nothing left for furniture. Also found out they won’t pay the cost of my wife or sons flights over! The devil is in the detail

weasel decentral Feb 15th 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Mcshane (Post 12636979)
Thanks for the heads up on Etihad. It does seem a bit unstable.

I’ve also run the numbers again and the joining allowance of 20k AED will only just cover the agents fees, deposit etc. They’ll be nothing left for furniture. Also found out they won’t pay the cost of my wife or sons flights over! The devil is in the detail

Your timing might be a bit early, I'd hold off for now and see how the new midfield terminal in Abu Dhabi works out. (It may eventually open this year!) It will have a large impact on Etihad.

Mcshane Mar 5th 2019 11:58 am

They upped the offer to 45k all in, cash component being just over 31k.

Better, but still 5k below my absolute minimum. The way they have negotiated has been quite painful, in tiny increments and like getting blood out of a stone. Just offer me my minimum and let me make a decision!

Edo Mar 5th 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mcshane (Post 12636979)
Also found out they won’t pay the cost of my wife or sons flights over! The devil is in the detail

They are an airline with daily flights to UK and they won't absorb the cost of two seats worth of payload for your family's home trips once in a year?

Millhouse Mar 5th 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mcshane (Post 12648242)
They upped the offer to 45k all in, cash component being just over 31k.

Better, but still 5k below my absolute minimum. The way they have negotiated has been quite painful, in tiny increments and like getting blood out of a stone. Just offer me my minimum and let me make a decision!

Have you communicated a number to them?