Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Entry level academic jobs in UAE/Oman/Bahrain

Entry level academic jobs in UAE/Oman/Bahrain

Old May 12th 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

beekeeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry level academic jobs in UAE/Oman/Bahrain

Dear All

I'm wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice. I've just finished an MA in globalisation and I'm thinking about teaching in either UAE, Oman or Bahrain as a next stop to earn some cash.

Ideally I would prefer university teaching, and ideally something other than English as a foreign language. My M.A was a mix of economics, sociology, and political science. A guy who graduated from the same M.A a couple of years ago, and who ended up teaching high school sociology in Oman, told me I should not have a problem getting a job, and to try ADU and Sultan Qaboos Uni in Muscat. He said they will probably ask for more qualifications than I have but turnover of staff is generally so high that most places would take me anyway. I've read some things to suggest it might be a bit tougher than that, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I have:

-M.A from Freiburg, Germany (plus some tutoring of undergrads)
-1st Class B.A from Warwick (in Latin American Studies)
-2 yrs TEFL experience (but no qualification)
-1 yr schools liaison officer for UK uni (which involved teaching)

Do people think this is enough? I have seen a sociology instructor job at a uni which I am qualified for, for example. I would also consider high school teaching or TEFL as a fallback, but I have heard that only less reputable places would hire me for this (for not great money) with the qualifications I have. Is this true?

I have been able to find a fair bit of info on English teaching pay scales in the various places, but nothing on how much non-TEFL jobs at unis pay. The instructor job I want to apply for asks for an indication of expected salary, so if anyone could give me some idea of what would be reasonable (this is in AD) I'd be very grateful.

Finally, any ideas of other institutions which would be good places to would also be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post....
Old May 12th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Entry level academic jobs in UAE/Oman/Bahrain

The sociology job was at a Uni in AD? Do you mind saying which one then I may be able to give you a bit more info? PM me if you want.
Quals required (and pay scales) vary from place to place so it's a bit difficult to say but as far as I know:
I would have thought you would not get a lecturer's position at ADU or Sultan Qaboos but you should be ok at somewhere like the Higher Colleges of Technology. You would not get a TEFL job that would give you the 'expat package' of accommodation, flights home etc so that is a no-go for you. You might well be able to get something at High School level but beware as some schools here would be a complete nightmare to teach in.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. The sociology job was at ADU.
Old May 13th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

OK, well as you're qualified for it go for it! I would ask for about Dhs22k per month (you may not get that much but it's worth asking) and you should get the standard package of housing allowance (around Dhs150 per year assuming you are single), water & electricity allowance, health insurance, one flight home per year, ermm think that's about it. Oh and check how much holiday you get cos they've been cutting back on that at a lot of places.
Good luck!
Old May 13th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

My experience is that most of the places in the UAE ask for a Ph D. Even if the turnover is very high... there are thousand of Ph D looking for a job, particularly in the current market. In my place we have a few MA working as research fellows, they do not teach but do research in topics related to the region (Latin American specialization will not be an asset here).

Sorry, just trying to be reallistic. Other possibility would be to try to contact a "think tank" looking for researchers.

Regarding Muscat, once I had an interview with them... I was supposed to teach 5 or 6 courses per year and the paid was not good at all.

Anyway, if you make it to the region, keep in touch.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks a lot for that. I'd rather be told the truth than given false hopes. From the little I've managed to find out it seems 'instructor' jobs are asking for M.As and anything above that for PhD.s. I will try for the ADU job, I guess.

Otherwise, do you think I am better looking for (non-English language) teaching jobs in schools or stumping up the money to do an online TEFL course and then getting a placement through that?

The guy I know worked for the International School of Choueifat (I'm not sure exactly where, but in the UAE) and seems to have had a bit of a nightmare both with the students and the company running the school. I'm a bit concerned as he was talking about stabbings and rapes and this kind of thing, you think many schools in the region are that bad? (I appreciate they probably vary enormously).
Old May 14th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

You can't just do a TEFL and then expect the whole expat package. That's a good qualification to have if you are here anyway as a trailing spouse but otherwise forget it. I think from your initial post you've got the Gulf in your head because you want to make some dosh, which is fine, but that ain't gonna happen with a TEFL - sorry.
Re schools - yes they vary enormously. If you had the right qualifications (ie a PGSE) you could get a very good job here. With your qualifications you would (as far as I know) be likely to get a job in Chouefait or similar which I personally would avoid like the plague - seriously. (Though I have never heard of stabbings and rape, I have to say.)
I would have thought that your best bet is to apply for the instructor job and see what happens.