Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which English Qualification?

Which English Qualification?

Old May 9th 2014, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Malkin61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which English Qualification?

Hi all,

My wife and I are both college lecturers - a job we both love. But recent events have made us decide we need a change. We're exploring the idea of teaching English in Saudi Arabia.

We understand that we need a level 5 qualification but would like to know which is the preferred one by employers. We've come across EDI Cert TEFL and CELTA, both of which fit the bill. I've been trawling to net to try and get some impartial advice but all I'm finding is training vendor sites who, of course, plug their own preferred qualification.

So, I'm after some impartial and neutral advice.

Hoping someone can help.

Ray
Old May 9th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which English Qualification?

There's been some bureaucratic changes recently. 3/4's of the decent jobs on offer are asking 'pathway degree + CELTA'.

CELTA, then TrinityTESOL are the two most commonly recognised qualifications. There are others, 120/160hrs + x hrs observed teaching but you'll have to explain away the course most likely at interview if they don't recognise it. Online degrees and online TEFL's aren't recognised here.

However, don't shoot yourself in the foot. Just take CELTA.

Most universities are wanting people in place about 24th August to start work beginning September. Approx time to get a visa and over is 4 weeks for Brits right now.

There is a ton of movement on the recruitment scene this year. If you've got serious experience in British colleges then negotiate your wage up from the base they're offering. Don't sell yourself short. There's a reason why there's a sliding scale in the job adverts and like everything here, it's the strong vs the weak.
Old May 9th 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Malkin61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, really useful advise. Currently updating our CV's.

We've both been teaching for around 4 years but have 20 and 15 years experience in the commercial sector - me IT, the missus business and admin. Last year we were voted number 2 & 3 out of 240 teachers by the students for being the most inspirational tutors

But really need a change and a kick start to get us going again. "kick start" you can tell we used to be bikers lol

Thanks

Ray n Tracy
Old May 9th 2014, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not go with a contractor. Go direct hire. (A "contractor" is someone who hires you and then sells your services on tg another institution.)

It can be difficult to find an institution that Pires men and women. Try Prince Mohammed Universrity in Khobar. Eastern province.

www.pmu.edu.sa