Employment in Doha

Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Ammaar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment in Doha

Hi everyone, I am new to this site so please bare with me.

I am a british citizen and graduated 3 years ago, for those 3 years Ive been working full-time and so have experience.

I have been applying for jobs in Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai now for around 2 months, and I've got 0 replies. Im very flabbergasted and cant quite understand why?

Ive emailed recruitment agencies, and their just as bad.

Could ANYONE please offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment in Doha

Originally Posted by Ammaar
Hi everyone, I am new to this site so please bare with me.

I am a british citizen and graduated 3 years ago, for those 3 years Ive been working full-time and so have experience.

I have been applying for jobs in Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai now for around 2 months, and I've got 0 replies. Im very flabbergasted and cant quite understand why?

Ive emailed recruitment agencies, and their just as bad.

Could ANYONE please offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.
What are you , a chai wallah or an airline pilot ...?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

doh Chai bhai sabb
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

ME in general is not a place for inexperienced grads from west. The demand as I see is mainly for experienced professionals.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
What are you , a chai wallah or an airline pilot ...?
Haha.

I've got 3 years experience in marketing, I was a marketing manager.

Prior to that I have 3 years experience workin as an event manager, but that wasn't full time.

Do I have any hope?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.

Prior to that I have 3 years experience workin as an event manager, but that wasn't full time.

Do I have any hope?
No.....
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.

Do I have any hope?
Are you willing to work for nothing? Then you may have a small chance.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Are you willing to work for nothing? Then you may have a small chance.
That's a bit harsh.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.

Do I have any hope?
No, especially if your grammar is bad in your CV or application letter. I know and fully appreciate that the internet doesn't have to have great spelling nor grammar, but I really hope you haven't made basic mistakes like this
and their just as bad
in your applications. It just bugs the shit out of old fogeys like me.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
No, especially if your grammar is bad in your CV or application letter. I know and fully appreciate that the internet doesn't have to have great spelling nor grammar, but I really hope you haven't made basic mistakes like this in your applications. It just bugs the shit out of old fogeys like me.
I was hoping for some more positive responses than what I've had. Instead of actual advise I've just had negative replies.

Thanks guys...
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:58 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Ammaar, that is the problem. People come on here and want us to say that you will get the job of your dreams and catch the 1st flight or that we have a friend here that is looking for someone just like you, but we live in the real world. You will only generally get management positions here so unless you are a marketing director or have a lot of experience your job will be done by an indian or a flip for a third of the price of a westerner. We also get asked these questions countless times when if you used the search function you would get all the answers you need. To give you an idea my marketing manager is also a graphic designer, has 6 years experience, earns less that 1k a month and shares a room with one of my salesmen. Would you be happy with that?

Last edited by britexpat76; Aug 10th 2012 at 2:01 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:31 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping for some more positive responses than what I've had. Instead of actual advise I've just had negative replies.

Thanks guys...
I can't be arsed anymore with whinging whiny folks who want us to say "yes, of course, don't be silly, you'll get a fantastic job, and the streets are paved with gold, and I have no idea why you aren't successful in your application".

Your grammar was bad, and you don't have enough experience to get a job out here. That's not a negative reply. That's advice. Sort out your grammar (essential for a marketing "manager") and get more experience. Then you stand a better chance of a job.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...
You asked for advice, you got it, just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean that it wasn't good advice.

If you want someone to sugar coat the reply, go to a recruiter, who'll chuck you in with the rest of the pile, to be ignored.

At least you can take the advice on board and hopefully do something about it. Or not.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Instead of actual advise I've just had negative replies.
It's advice, not advise. No need to thank me
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:09 am
womble

Bob - forwarding you the PM I just received from Ammaar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.