Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

electrician work in Dubai or Qatar?

electrician work in Dubai or Qatar?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Gheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really nice
Default electrician work in Dubai or Qatar?

I've been here in Dubai for a few months and a friend of mine from the UK has expressed an interest in coming out here too. He is a fully qualified electrician in the UK and is used to working in construction sites. He seems very clued up at what he does, and has a lot of experience and technical qualifications. He has worked in several supervisory roles in the UK.

I have his CV but I know nothing about this industry as I am a chef and wondered if any one is able to help?

I'm looking for some guidance on what companies I could send his CV to, and also what he can expect in terms of renumeration?

All help and advice apreciated.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician work in Dubai or Qatar?

Originally Posted by Gheko

I'm looking for some guidance on what companies I could send his CV to, and also what he can expect in terms of renumeration?
Unless it's in a senior managerial type position, probably peanuts...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here in Dubai for a few months and a friend of mine from the UK has expressed an interest in coming out here too. He is a fully qualified electrician in the UK and is used to working in construction sites. He seems very clued up at what he does, and has a lot of experience and technical qualifications. He has worked in several supervisory roles in the UK.

I have his CV but I know nothing about this industry as I am a chef and wondered if any one is able to help?

All help and advice apreciated.
I would say don't bother, this work is done by the Asian expat workforce for buttons
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Gheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Unless it's in a senior managerial type position, probably peanuts...
That's the type of position he would be very able to do I'm sure...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the type of position he would be very able to do I'm sure...
There is work of that type here but you need to demonstrate a lot of experience in working overeas and managing large numbers of people on large projects , especially with experience in HV.

Without that he virtually has no chance unless he knows someone who can give him a break.

There is a major recession here in the Gulf and there's a lot of good people looking for work with bags of experience , 5 years ago it was a lot different.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
There is work of that type here but you need to demonstrate a lot of experience in working overeas and managing large numbers of people on large projects , especially with experience in HV.

Without that he virtually has no chance unless he knows someone who can give him a break.

There is a major recession here in the Gulf and there's a lot of good people looking for work with bags of experience , 5 years ago it was a lot different.
What about if he were just to get a feet in the door type position over here? He can always stay with me for a while. He is always getting asked to assume supervisory roles in the UK wherever he works so once a company sees what he's about do you think he reasonable to expect him to progress up the ladder? There doesn't seem a lot of work in the UK at the moment.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What about if he were just to get a feet in the door type position over here? He can always stay with me for a while. He is always getting asked to assume supervisory roles in the UK wherever he works so once a company sees what he's about do you think he reasonable to expect him to progress up the ladder? There doesn't seem a lot of work in the UK at the moment.
Thing is, those lowly positions pay peanuts, the range that would be embarrassing...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is he willing to make 1500 AED a month?

Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Ive mentioned it a few times on here but im a sparky as well and i tried to get work out here.
Tell him to forget it unless he wants to earn 1500-2000dhs a month (MAX). Seriously.
I must have sent about 100 C.V's to companies and they are not interested in a western guy as an electrician (no matter if you are the best in the world)

Best thing he can do is get in touch with fellow expats and take it from there in the hope of a managerial role but even then, in these dark times for construction, I wouldnt hold out much hope as there are plenty of ELectrical Engineers etc that have lost there jobs in the last 2 years.

I was lucky in that i had just started working in the oil industry and then about 9 months later, got a job as a supervisor in a shipyard.
If i can help out in any way drop me a pm but i honestly would tell him to forget the idea as its not viable at present.

Good luck all the same
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Kirstie6182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My husband is desperatly looking for full tikme work here in Dubai but as you have stated its a difficult task! He is an Electrician by trade
He has 16 years experience in the Shipbuilding trade working for BAE Systems and the last 6 years being in Oil and Gas working for Expro Group.

If anyone has any conct details for anyone working in either field please can you PM me.

Thanks

Kirstie
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstie6182
Hi,

My husband is desperatly looking for full tikme work here in Dubai but as you have stated its a difficult task! He is an Electrician by trade
He has 16 years experience in the Shipbuilding trade working for BAE Systems and the last 6 years being in Oil and Gas working for Expro Group.

If anyone has any conct details for anyone working in either field please can you PM me.

Thanks

Kirstie
hi you will need to post a few more times to activate the DM system, good luck in your search
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Kirstie
Forget about working in Dubai it's on it's knees workwise , try Qatar or K.S.A
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Kirstie
Kirstie, make some more posts till you've hit the threshold to be able to PM, then PM me.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:14 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Kirstie
send me a PM....seriously.I know of a company that is looking for people..
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Kirstie6182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the replies, I have PM you who requested me too....Fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Kirstie