Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dubai job for administrator/receptionist/helpdesk support

Dubai job for administrator/receptionist/helpdesk support

Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:51 am
Just Joined

wkd_lil_law is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai job for administrator/receptionist/helpdesk support

Hi guys,

I'm a 24 year old, my boyfriend lived in Dubai a couple of years ago whilst working a DJing contract for a few months, he has been offered the same job again.
I am now looking for jobs in Dubai. Is it absolutely the case that I am unlikely to get any interviews whilst i am still in the UK?
My partner has accommodation paid in the hotel he will be working in. Without having to pay for accommodation there fore what is roughly the minimum wage one can afford to live on out there?

Generally any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai job for administrator/receptionist/helpdesk support

Sorry but I think you will be disappointed unless you can get sponsorship from a company which is very unlikely for this type of work. Your boyfriend won't be able to sponsor you as you are not married. Just be aware that illegal to live together in UAE unless you are married.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

I realise it is illegal however i was hoping to find a position with accommodation included, or wondered if both only there on a temporary basis would they allow you to live with your partner in the hotel as it would be a working holiday of sorts?

I have noticed an awful lot of vacancies do not show the salary, anybody know why this is?

I'd still like to know what is the minimum a person can afford to live on roughly?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Where will you're BF be working? what hotel?

Also what is it you do? If its not skilled or sought after don't expect a huge salary. The job market is very different here than home and so is the wage scale sadly.

Also before boarding a plane. Check with the hotel that they'll allow you to share a room. As i've had all sides of the scales with hotels and Gf's.

From not being allowed in my room day or night. From another hotel providing me with a fully furnished apartment for me and my Gf as they thought a single hotel room for 2people was cramped, Sadly just seems to decide on what side the Gm got out of bed.

Last edited by Chris_m; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you're after a position in one of the fields used as the title of this thread? Unfortunately though, in most cases you'll be up against Filipinos and Indians who will work for a fraction of the wage a Westerner would expect. Plus any accommodation provided would probably be in the form of sharing a room with a group of other girls.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I guess you're after a position in one of the fields used as the title of this thread? Unfortunately though, in most cases you'll be up against Filipinos and Indians who will work for a fraction of the wage a Westerner would expect. Plus any accommodation provided would probably be in the form of sharing a room with a group of other girls.
Ok thanks for your advice,

Do you think it would be the same for front of house/receptionist positions within hotels or other high end businesses?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Where will you're BF be working? what hotel?

Also what is it you do? If its not skilled or sought after don't expect a huge salary. The job market is very different here than home and so is the wage scale sadly.

Also before boarding a plane. Check with the hotel that they'll allow you to share a room. As i've had all sides of the scales with hotels and Gf's.

From not being allowed in my room day or night. From another hotel providing me with a fully furnished apartment for me and my Gf as they thought a single hotel room for 2people was cramped, Sadly just seems to decide on what side the Gm got out of bed.
Thanks Chris, definately worth investigating, he'd be DJing on Jumeira beach, on a 6 month contract.
I wouldnt be after an amazing salary just enough to live would be good. From the advice given its clear that IT and admin are no go, but i'm hoping that businesses would take me on as a front of house or other similar customer facing hotel role?

What do you guys think?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

no chance, never seen a British front of house here ever, you might get into one of the hotels sales departments something like that but the salary really would be rubbish. I would find out if you can share his room for a holiday, suss the situation out a bit more then take it from there
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
no chance, never seen a British front of house here ever, you might get into one of the hotels sales departments something like that but the salary really would be rubbish. I would find out if you can share his room for a holiday, suss the situation out a bit more then take it from there
Brits in Hotels are usually heads of Department even then only in F&b and sales etc, And hotels with a budget for brits are very limited here. I think you may struggle in the hotel industry here. Front of house tend to be native Arabic speakers with good english skills such as. Egyptian Syrian and the like.

Last edited by Chris_m; Feb 7th 2012 at 5:38 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Fahd will become famous soon enoughFahd will become famous soon enough

if you are a beautiful you may get a good job in a hotel .
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fahd
if you are a beautiful you may get a good job in a hotel .
No prizes for guessing what sort of a job that could be!