Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dubai here I come - or am I?

Dubai here I come - or am I?

Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:58 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai here I come - or am I?

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
Do you have any reference for this as I get the impression that this isn't common knowledge?

I'll write here what I will do and how it goes, although if I decide to go it would take at least a month or two from now.

Will this do?

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/...ob?pageCount=0
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try to be a little more engaging as your future employer could be right here.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:59 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think that, all useful help is well appreciated. I prefer to make an informed decision which is why I ask for help here. I used cursive on the word "will" because of the "Just a hunch" reply.

Err.... I suppose that it takes more than 28 posts to put the finishing touch to sarcasm.
Nah, I think I nailed it
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Will this do?
Thanks. I did some further search and also found this.

http://www.iicuae.com/externals/alta...20Brochure.pdf

It says that you can change a visit visa to an employment visa in an average of 2 days, and then you have 60 days to apply for the residence permit and 30 days for the labour card. As you state there might be a 60 day leeway towards the employment visa as well. The most important thing for me to know is that there isn't red tape against starting relatively immediately.

Why not try to be a little more engaging as your future employer could be right here.
Valid point, I would say. It might a a good idea though to be aware of all the "negatives" before taking the really final decision. I think that I would really enjoy the UAE, particularly Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Nah, I think I nailed it
You are entitled to your opinion.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:33 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

It says that you can change a visit visa to an employment visa in an average of 2 days, and then you have 60 days to apply for the residence permit and 30 days for the labour card. As you state there might be a 60 day leeway towards the employment visa as well. The most important thing for me to know is that there isn't red tape against starting relatively immediately.

Valid point, I would say. It might a a good idea though to be aware of all the "negatives" before taking the really final decision. I think that I would really enjoy the UAE, particularly Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Sorry. At 7 posts your opinion is worthless.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Sorry. At 7 posts your opinion is worthless.
No, sorry - his 7 posts in 3 days beats your 30 posts in five months........
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:40 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There are some errors is that Al Tamimi pdf and it's a few years old so some of it is out of date. You really would do well to trust the advice of someone who knows and gets paid to answer such queries...

How quick anything gets done is really down to how good the company PRO is. Residency visas can be organised in 24 hours, but usually take a few weeks. Just because you read one thing, don't assume it is always the case. The UAE is not like the UK.

And out of curiousity, why do you think you'd enjoy the UAE? It has its upsides, but isn't for everyone.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

You really would do well to trust the advice of someone who knows and gets paid to answer such queries
Ok, good!

And out of curiousity, why do you think you'd enjoy the UAE? It has its upsides, but isn't for everyone.
Even though not the main reason, I would probably be better off financially. As I have no kids, my expenditures would probably be about the same but with a higher take home salary.

I like the urban environment with skyscrapers and I like warm weather and being close to the beach. I'm not particularly fond of travelling collectively and I don't mind getting much car and fuel for the money.

I like the international environment with people from all over the world and I think that it's interesting to learn more about different cultures.

I like nice hotels and when the weather is too hot in the summer Europe isn't extremely far away and does have good flight connections with the UAE.