Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dubai/Abu Dhabi or Riyadh??

Dubai/Abu Dhabi or Riyadh??

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Coopersda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai/Abu Dhabi or Riyadh??

Hi All

Short term lurker, and newbie here and am desperately in need of advice from the expat pros! All the google-ising the subject to death, my head is hurting and the propaganda /B.S. that comes out of 'official' UAE sources is hard to filter out..

I have been through an interview process for a MAJOR blue chip kind of company, (I'd prefer not to say) and they absolutley want me out in Dubai to work out of this and the Abu Dhabi office out there and are just sorting out making an offer..

As far as I can find out the basic is £51k/£52k + package (again no final offer through but I am hoping this includes accom, car, health, insurance, flights, if not then I am not interested as I know it isn't enough!)

I have seen the breakdowns on this forum of how far the Dubai salary will go (not far) so I am hopefully banking on getting more UAE experience and a pay rise soon...are pay rises still happening?

Also consider my partner will be coming with me and could possibly get a job in Dubai/AD, no guarantees though....or she can come with me to Riyadh and live in the dark ages.....

Now, another company, not quite as massive etc are interested in me too, but this is looking like around £65k and possibly a package on top too similar to above. But they are in Riyadh.

My query?

Which is the better offer if I want to save money to send home? Will I actually save enough to make the Riyadh position worth while or will I end up regretting Riyadh as I have heard it is dangerous and there is NO lifestyle out there whatsoever so will probably be going on hugely expensive holidays to make up for it!.

Industry: construction.

Thanks for advice and help

Coopersda
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:07 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai/Abu Dhabi or Riyadh??

Originally Posted by Coopersda
Hi All

Short term lurker, and newbie here and am desperately in need of advice from the expat pros! All the google-ising the subject to death, my head is hurting and the propaganda /B.S. that comes out of 'official' UAE sources is hard to filter out..

I have been through an interview process for a MAJOR blue chip kind of company, (I'd prefer not to say) and they absolutley want me out in Dubai to work out of this and the Abu Dhabi office out there and are just sorting out making an offer..

As far as I can find out the basic is £51k/£52k + package (again no final offer through but I am hoping this includes accom, car, health, insurance, flights, if not then I am not interested as I know it isn't enough!)

I have seen the breakdowns on this forum of how far the Dubai salary will go (not far) so I am hopefully banking on getting more UAE experience and a pay rise soon...are pay rises still happening?

Also consider my partner will be coming with me and could possibly get a job in Dubai/AD, no guarantees though....or she can come with me to Riyadh and live in the dark ages.....

Now, another company, not quite as massive etc are interested in me too, but this is looking like around £65k and possibly a package on top too similar to above. But they are in Riyadh.

My query?

Which is the better offer if I want to save money to send home? Will I actually save enough to make the Riyadh position worth while or will I end up regretting Riyadh as I have heard it is dangerous and there is NO lifestyle out there whatsoever so will probably be going on hugely expensive holidays to make up for it!.

Coopersda
No brainer...

Saving money, has to be Riyadh.......
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Accom in Riyadh is much higher than Doobai if that is part of the equation.

But if there is a position in UAE that is the better bet (No shit sherlock!)
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
so I am hopefully banking on getting more UAE experience and a pay rise soon...are pay rises still happening?
no what you negotiate at the start you will be stuck with for at least a year or two.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Find out what the "Extras" include first....
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

My query?

Coopersda
she won't be able to go to Riyadh but she can come to the UAE
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Coopersda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm

Thanks for the comments folks, I appreciate it.

If I am stuck on the proposed salary for a year or two in Dubai it is looking less and less promising (again, dependant on the extras offered) as a means to saving cash.

It seems for Riyadh I will have to research accom costs versus income and saving opportunities, as she will have to stay at home in the UK for the expected 24 months I would stay there for, and move to UAE with more ME experience and hopefully a better salary etc

Just wish these employers would get a shuffle on and get me an offer out!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

seochris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm

Thanks for the comments folks, I appreciate it.

If I am stuck on the proposed salary for a year or two in Dubai it is looking less and less promising (again, dependant on the extras offered) as a means to saving cash.

It seems for Riyadh I will have to research accom costs versus income and saving opportunities, as she will have to stay at home in the UK for the expected 24 months I would stay there for, and move to UAE with more ME experience and hopefully a better salary etc

Just wish these employers would get a shuffle on and get me an offer out!
I have just spent a few days in Dubai researching for a possible appointment, and for all of you guys who live out there, whatever you are getting paid...it isn’t enough! Unless you like paying 30 to 50% over the top for everything except petrol, don’t mind living in a construction site, can put up with the surly attitude of the natives and the second rate produce found in supermarkets! The taps in my hotel room might have been goldplated....but they didnt work!

Can anybody tell me why you do it? You must all be on mega bucks...so good luck to you cause you deserve every penny.

Unfortunately the deals on offer nowdays are in my estimation, barely adequate.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seochris
As opposed to the zillions of deals available in the UK?

Actually I share many of your views, but if you're genuinely interested in why we do it there was a thread about 6 months about why people are out here. In my opinion the reasons are any one or a combination of the following:

1 The UK job market is dire
2 Bigger salary + no tax (lots better off)
3 Similar salary but no tax (marginally better off, depending on perks)
4 Any salary (esp with no tax) is better than the dole (lots better off)
5 Naivety
6 Unemployable elsewhere, either as a starter or because been out here so long no longer able to contribute anything in a Western environment
7 Running away from something (usually the wife)
8 Genuine desire to contribute to the local culture
9 Sun worshipper

Don't think I've met anyone who doesn't fall into one or more of the above categories as a prime reason for being here, and sadly too many teetering on the brink of No 6.

ps
OK, I was only joking about No 8.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have just spent a few days in Dubai researching for a possible appointment, and for all of you guys who live out there, whatever you are getting paid...it isn’t enough! Unless you like paying 30 to 50% over the top for everything except petrol, don’t mind living in a construction site, can put up with the surly attitude of the natives and the second rate produce found in supermarkets! The taps in my hotel room might have been goldplated....but they didnt work!

Can anybody tell me why you do it? You must all be on mega bucks...so good luck to you cause you deserve every penny.

This is exactly why my contribution to the local economy is minimal.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Actually I share many of your views, but if you're genuinely interested in why we do it there was a thread about 6 months about why people are out here. In my opinion the reasons are any one or a combination of the following:

5 Naivety
6 Unemployable elsewhere, either as a starter or because been out here so long no longer able to contribute anything in a Western environment
9 Sun worshipper

Don't think I've met anyone who doesn't fall into one or more of the above categories as a prime reason for being here, and sadly too many teetering on the brink of No 6.

ps
Thanks for your very candid response....i would come and work there in a heartbeat so long as i was being paid a premium to put up with at the shit you guys obviously have to...but the tax free haven of yesteryear just does not apply anymore. What they give you in one hand as 'tax free' they take away in the other as 'rent, school fees, cost of living etc etc'.

Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, KL i can understand why they need sky scrappers, but Dubai.....
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

5 Naivety
9 Sun worshipper

ps
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your very candid response....i would come and work there in a heartbeat so long as i was being paid a premium to put up with at the shit you guys obviously have to...but the tax free haven of yesteryear just does not apply anymore. What they give you in one hand as 'tax free' they take away in the other as 'rent, school fees, cost of living etc etc'.

Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, KL i can understand why they need sky scrappers, but Dubai.....
So I take it you are not coming over?

You are 100% right, you need a big salary for it to work out. Many people come here (myself included initially) that the tax free kick is enough - it's not. Thankfully, I've sorted all of that out now.

Also, remember that your views on things in the shops being 30% more than you are think they should be are based on converting prices to sterling, which over the last year or so, took a 30% devaluation. The two are linked. I came here at 7.2 AED = 1 GBP. Everything in the shop was a bargain.

That said, things here do cost too much and your rent observation is spot on. Rents are still far too high - and to think they have dropped 50% or more...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
So I take it you are not coming over?

You are 100% right, you need a big salary for it to work out. Many people come here (myself included initially) that the tax free kick is enough - it's not. Thankfully, I've sorted all of that out now.

Also, remember that your views on things in the shops being 30% more than you are think they should be are based on converting prices to sterling, which over the last year or so, took a 30% devaluation. The two are linked. I came here at 7.2 AED = 1 GBP. Everything in the shop was a bargain.

That said, things here do cost too much and your rent observation is spot on. Rents are still far too high - and to think they have dropped 50% or more...
No I think I will stay up here in sunny Scotland...and play a few more of the ledgendary golf courses they have up here...

I was offered $160,000 with medical expense and a 1x family trip back to the UK. I think if that was a 1X trip back to Bangladesh then they would have the package about right if you get my meaning!

If the FX was still 7.2/1 then i guess i wouldn't be bitching so much but it would have made it an even more difficult decision....
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No I think I will stay up here in sunny Scotland...and play a few more of the ledgendary golf courses they have up here...

I was offered $160,000 with medical expense and a 1x family trip back to the UK. I think if that was a 1X trip back to Bangladesh then they would have the package about right if you get my meaning!

If the FX was still 7.2/1 then i guess i wouldn't be bitching so much but it would have made it an even more difficult decision....
I think you did the right thing... it comes to something when 160k USD isn't enough to live on but that sums this place up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.