Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you use what you have studied in your job?

Do you use what you have studied in your job?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use what you have studied in your job?

Originally Posted by The Dean
MBA = Means Bugger All.
Very funny. I remember an MBA graduate (after me asking him if the MBA was worth it) telling me that it had cost him about 100k GBP in lost income and fees during the 2 years it took to complete but it was better value than a Ferrari.

He was interviewing for a job paying 45k GBP and thought he had made it - he didn't get the job and I can't help thinking the Ferrari would have been a better investment.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:22 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
hehe - what gets me is that you find people who have done a lengthy dissertation as part of their Degree/ Masters/ whatever and they STILL can't write a proper, meaningful and coherent sentence.

I used to proofread some and my eyes would bulge at rambling (yes, I note the irony here) sentences 8 lines long with no punctuation apart from a random smattering of capital letters... and that was from a brit!
Brit ?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:27 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Brit ?
shhh!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:32 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
shhh!
Not a word...promise
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:50 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
I am from the Middle East and I have noticed that when someone finished his university or college study and got a job, the job duties and work system most of time is different from what he studied in the university.
My question is, do you think this is normal or the person fallen to use what he has studied in his work?
Many thanks
Not as much as I thought I would.
On reflection,had I known that I would be transacting business in the ME.
I woulda probably opted for an ology in Charlatanism & Middle Eastern Dynasties....
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I'd have to disagree with everyone.

A college course is basically given to you on a plate...lets face it. School is also on a plate and the answers are basically given to you. A degree switches things round and puts the emphasis on the pupil to find their own answers and solutions to the problems set out in the course which should generally be based on your chosen career path.

Granted, this doesn't apply to all degrees ( especially the b*llocks ones that mean nothing other than letters after your name) but certainly for job specific degrees - such as engineering etc.

It depends though...for people that chose something like...erm lets say a Business Studies degree well, what job are you instantly going to go into to apply what you've learnt?

Same could be said for the likes of geography, English, politics, social science, psychology...the list goes on really. I'm not rubbishing these or anything, but they're a bit non-specific for the work place.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:46 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Having a degree used to show that you had a bit of intelligence about you - university was sold to me as place where you start to stand on your own feet, live away from home and show some self-motivation.
You can get away with missing lectures and scraping through or putting some effort in and getting a decent grade.
I did a degree in IT, once finished I've hardly applied anything of what I studied - and my first job was with IBM. However, to get into IBM graduate scheme I obviously needed a degree. It was a means to an end.
I've worked in IT for 12 years now, and I can honestly say the courses from my degree were a waste of time, just not relevant to the real world.
Some of the best people I have worked with did not have degrees...and some of the worst I have worked with have university education up to MBA level.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe school & colleges now spoon feed people as CeeBee says but that wasn't always the case. Once upon a time, only the brightest tended to go to university, whereas now so many do and from what I have seen, lots of them have learnt little of use. I like the idea of study for its own sake, but I have had cause to wonder what some people have actualy done in their thre years as they don't have an orignal idea in their heads and struggle to communicate in both decent written and verbal English.

My list of qualifications are largely related to what I do for a living. In the UK they are required, not so here, but it means that I am technically better qualified than most who do what I do and who would you rather trust with your money? The ex-photocopier salesman, or someone who takes their work seriously?

Qualifications aren't everything and experience is very valuable, but I'd suggest you need them both together.

-
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow
Maybe school & colleges now spoon feed people as CeeBee says but that wasn't always the case. Once upon a time, only the brightest tended to go to university, whereas now so many do and from what I have seen, lots of them have learnt little of use. I like the idea of study for its own sake, but I have had cause to wonder what some people have actualy done in their thre years as they don't have an orignal idea in their heads and struggle to communicate in both decent written and verbal English.

My list of qualifications are largely related to what I do for a living. In the UK they are required, not so here, but it means that I am technically better qualified than most who do what I do and who would you rather trust with your money? The ex-photocopier salesman, or someone who takes their work seriously?

Qualifications aren't everything and experience is very valuable, but I'd suggest you need them both together.

-
your final point is exactly the reason why i went the part time degree route. I think students should be encouraged to start work earlier and get their degrees on day release.

Its surprising how different the attitudes of the two different students are. In combined lectures and classes the full time students basically didn't give a s**t. In group assignments they were just weird and had no concept whatsoever of the 'real world' outside of uni. For me the only people taking it seriously were the part time students.

I basically blame the colleges / schools for pressuring students to carry on with uni. They're encouraged to do so by academics...because thats what they'd do.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add a further twist to this
For some employers a lot also depends on where you got your degree
I used to work for one of UK's biggest chemical co's
The oxbridge chem engineers got all the gucci assignments and rapid promotions
The Imperial engineers got some challenging assignments and steady moves when available
The Salford and Loughborough engineers managed the shit shovellers and tank emptiers and thats where they stayed

Sad but true, graduate snobbery is alive and kicking
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
The oxbridge chem engineers got all the gucci assignments and rapid promotions
The Imperial engineers got some challenging assignments and steady moves when available
The Salford and Loughborough engineers managed the shit shovellers and tank emptiers and thats where they stayed
quite right too!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
quite right too!
Watch it!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:26 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

absolutely true.

A degree means nothing really in my line of work..

Experience, technical qualifications, vocational quals will win over a degree anyday..
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
absolutely true.

A degree means nothing really in my line of work..

Experience, technical qualifications, vocational quals will win over a degree anyday..
Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to have surgery performed on me by a person untrained in anatomy, or fly in an aircraft designed by a team unversed in the theoretical basis of the host of engineering disciplines required.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And yet so many people take advice on the financial security of their family, tax issues and their life savings from someone who has done little more than sit a simple multi-choice exam, if that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.