Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you use what you have studied in your job?

Do you use what you have studied in your job?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice
Default Do you use what you have studied in your job?

I am from the Middle East and I have noticed that when someone finished his university or college study and got a job, the job duties and work system most of time is different from what he studied in the university.
My question is, do you think this is normal or the person fallen to use what he has studied in his work?
Many thanks
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:14 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use what you have studied in your job?

It very much depends what you chose to study - if you made the right choice for the job you had in mind, you should be using what you learnt... not all of it, all the time, but in the main, you should be using (and increasing) the basic skill-set you came away with from Uni.

If you did something like Philosophy, then short of becoming a philosophy teacher, I'm not sure how relevant it could be in the workplace (interesting to have done, but not relevant).

Again, if you did Engineering and then took up a job as a security guard, then, I'm afraid, you failed to tie up the two.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of... My degree is basically of no use to me whatsoever. I realized this when I was at college and decided to leave after 3 years of the 4 year course. As it turns out, I was almost right - the only benefit is the 'name' of the university I'm associated with, not the content of the course.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
I am from the Middle East and I have noticed that when someone finished his university or college study and got a job, the job duties and work system most of time is different from what he studied in the university.
My question is, do you think this is normal or the person fallen to use what he has studied in his work?
Many thanks
but would that person have got the job without the degree? The benefit of a degree isn't that it prepares you for work - it provides you with a means to access work.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:14 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
but would that person have got the job without the degree? The benefit of a degree isn't that it prepares you for work - it provides you with a means to access work.
I have to disagree on this one, to a degree (no pun intended!!).

The degree MAY provide a means to an interview.

More and more Im seeing graduates carrying their piece of paper around as if it guarantees a job. As far as Im concerned, all it does is get your ass in front of an interviewer.

Personally, if Im being honest, Id far rather have someone who has spent the last 4 years of life in the real world, gaining real experience, than proof that they can sit and sponge up information, then blurt it out whenever requested...
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:55 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with TGFKASE... I don't think a degree prepares you for work in the slightest. I'd love to say that it trains you to think for yourself, but I too have seen people up to their necks in academic qualifications who can't get their heads around anything remotely practical.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

An enlightened employer back home (personally known to me) has started taking on A-Level school leavers again, and then paying for them to do Open University degrees in their spare time (where the job requirement warrants it).

It fosters loyalty, and it gives him a workplace with, say, 25-year-old workers who have 7 years of solid experience (for his company), plus a good academic qualification from a highly-rated university.

If you go straight to university from school, there are two golden rules:
a - do what you enjoy
b - do what you are good at
(this is "and-and" not "either-or")

I think financial considerations will, sooner or later, lead to the abolition of useless degrees that simply keep you out of the dole queue ("General Studies" at the University of Wolverhampton, anyone??).
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i sometimes use it indirectly (i've got an economics degree...)...but it's not required for my job...think unless you did a specific or vocational degree, that is usually the case...

MM, xx
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I agree with TGFKASE... I don't think a degree prepares you for work in the slightest. I'd love to say that it trains you to think for yourself, but I too have seen people up to their necks in academic qualifications who can't get their heads around anything remotely practical.
That's what I said... A degree doesn't prepare you for work but gives you a means to find it. i.e. it puts you in front of the candiate who doesn't have a degree. nothing else
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I agree with TGFKASE... I don't think a degree prepares you for work in the slightest.

Millhouse said the same thing...
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:33 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by spart
Millhouse said the same thing...
oo, thanks for pointing that out!

So, to sum it up, Millhouse, TGFKASE and I all agree and have said variations on the same thing.

Smashing.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, to sum it up, Millhouse, TGFKASE and I all agree and have said variations on the same thing.

Smashing.
It's a funny one - it gets to a point where more education doesn't actually help.

I used to interview when I was in London - a person who had a degree who then went on to do an MBA generally performed worse (at interview) than someone with just a degree.

I can only think that these people felt the need to try and 'top up' a degree in hopes to get further but in reality those that needed the 'top up' were not the ones you wanted to employ.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jan 18th 2010 at 4:23 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:56 am
ex-expat

hehe - what gets me is that you find people who have done a lengthy dissertation as part of their Degree/ Masters/ whatever and they STILL can't write a proper, meaningful and coherent sentence.

I used to proofread some and my eyes would bulge at rambling (yes, I note the irony here) sentences 8 lines long with no punctuation apart from a random smattering of capital letters... and that was from a brit!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

It's a funny one - it gets to a point where more education doesn't actually help.

I used to interview when I was in London - a person who had a degree who then went on to do an MBA generally performed worse (at interview) than someone with just a degree.

I can only think that these people felt the need to try and 'top up' a degree in hopes to get further but in reality those that needed the 'top up' were not the ones you wanted to employ.
MBA = Means Bugger All.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

You're welcome petal.

MBA - Master of Bugger All

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.