British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Difficulty of finding work in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/difficulty-finding-work-dubai-697325/)

Le Man Dec 17th 2010 4:43 pm

Difficulty of finding work in Dubai

I'm a manager in construction, mainly interior fit out. I have done a lot of research but am constantly finding conflicting accounts of the level of difficulty of finding work there and the minimum requirements. Was hoping someone that a) is working in the construction field in the UAE at the moment, or b) has worked previously in the construction field in the UAE could offer some guidance. Is there ANY chance of me finding work or will I require further qualifications/experience? Urgently need to get out of the U.K.

Thanks in advance

Millhouse Dec 17th 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Difficulty of finding work in Dubai

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9046375)
I'm a manager in construction, mainly interior fit out. I have done a lot of research but am constantly finding conflicting accounts of the level of difficulty of finding work there and the minimum requirements. Was hoping someone that a) is working in the construction field in the UAE at the moment, or b) has worked previously in the construction field in the UAE could offer some guidance. Is there ANY chance of me finding work or will I require further qualifications/experience? Urgently need to get out of the U.K.

Thanks in advance

The biggest challenge will not be meeting minimum requirements but actually finding jobs. There isn't a lot of work going on here.

soukie Dec 17th 2010 6:41 pm

Kuwait or Qatar is a bit better for construction jobs at the moment - UAE is slow and the packages on offer are low when you consider how expensive it is to live in UAE.

Blue Cat Dec 18th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9046375)
I'm a manager in construction, mainly interior fit out. I have done a lot of research but am constantly finding conflicting accounts of the level of difficulty of finding work there and the minimum requirements. Was hoping someone that a) is working in the construction field in the UAE at the moment, or b) has worked previously in the construction field in the UAE could offer some guidance. Is there ANY chance of me finding work or will I require further qualifications/experience? Urgently need to get out of the U.K.Thanks in advance

why?

Le Man Dec 19th 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9047428)
why?

Nasty divorce, it's a French Foreign Legion type move. She broke my heart and I need to get away. Yesterday

Le Man Dec 20th 2010 9:04 am

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. ...

Must of been out of his bloody mind when he wrote that. If I ever cross paths with the guy that coined that phrase........he gets his ass kicked. It's not better

Bahtatboy Dec 20th 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9050756)

Must of been out of his bloody mind when he wrote that. If I ever cross paths with the guy that coined that phrase........he gets his ass kicked. It's not better

Unlikely, he's been dead a bit.

function_analysis Dec 21st 2010 8:05 am

Then he'll definitely meet him up some time :eek:

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9050808)
Unlikely, he's been dead a bit.

Le Man Dec 21st 2010 9:02 am

Guys, please don't make a joke of this

Bahtatboy Dec 21st 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9052868)
Guys, please don't make a joke of this

There's been some sound advice lobbed your way, so expect some humour and piss taking too. Just make sure you know which to ignore and which to ingest.;)

Le Man Dec 21st 2010 10:48 am

I'm a manager in construction, mainly interior fit out

Eva Dec 21st 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9050756)

Never a 'Mustofa' always a 'Musthave a' was old Lord George B...

Yours truly Mustafa
Cuppacamomile

The Dean Dec 22nd 2010 5:57 am

1 Attachment(s)
Mustapha??

Blue Cat Dec 22nd 2010 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9053050)

never :rolleyes:

:rofl:

lionheart Dec 22nd 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Le Man (Post 9053050)

There is plenty of suitable work in Siberia I believe.