Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Nevets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

Hi all

First post here. There's a potential opportunity for me to work in Doha and I have been asked what my desired base salary is.

The prospective role is with one of the main O&G companies in Qatar where the package includes company provided housing, transport allowance, education allowance (no kids yets), medical insurance coverage plus flights home etc. I'm currently on £65k in London plus annual bonus of c.30%. I've read the cost of living is pretty high here and have read that I should ask for between 25% to 100% more than what my UK gross is. Given 100% more than my basic is unrealistic, what is realistic amount to ask for? My primary motive is to save as much of my salary as I can for a few years, I was thinking asking for 35% more than my current base which equates to £88k or 40k QAR per month. Would this scare off the employer or am I selling myself short? Is Qatar considered a hardship posting where a large premium is paid? What are these western living inducements I've read about?

Thanks in advance

Nevets
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:57 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all
Default Re: Desired salary vs cost of living - Doha

I do not work in oil and gas but most professionals that I know would be on no less than 50,000 QAR a month which is about £8800 a month - generally they are on a minimum of 60,000 up to about 80,000 QAR a month.

50,000 QAR may sound a lot but you will pay 12,000 QAR a month for a decent flat and 3000 QAR for a hired 4 x 4. Before you have even looked at the cost of living your 50,000 QAR is 35,000 QAR. That leaves you about £6,000 a month - however you spend that is up to you but you will find that at £6 a pint of stella it goes quite fast. Nothing here is cheaper than the UK except petrol.

Look for some earlier posts by Co Durham Boy as he has set out an answer to this question on more than one occasion.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Abbey.

The thing is I'm relatively young and only got about 8 years professional experience and since my housing (biggest expense out here) is provided. Therefore, a part of me thinks asking 50k QAR would be taking a pi$$ a little (of course, if I can get away with that the I'll be laughing ). I dont want to scare the company off at this early stage. What do you guys think?

I'm looking to save triple my current monthly savings which is about £1300 per month. Would that be possible if I get 40-50k QAR basic + housing+car and live relatively simply?

Any one familiar with these western inducements allowances companies pay to westerners.

Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nevets
Thanks for the reply Abbey.

The thing is I'm relatively young and only got about 8 years professional experience and since my housing (biggest expense out here) is provided. Therefore, a part of me thinks asking 50k QAR would be taking a pi$$ a little (of course, if I can get away with that the I'll be laughing ). I dont want to scare the company off at this early stage. What do you guys think?

I'm looking to save triple my current monthly savings which is about £1300 per month. Would that be possible if I get 40-50k QAR basic + housing+car and live relatively simply?

Any one familiar with these western inducements allowances companies pay to westerners.

Cheers
Get as much as you possibly can here , you'll need it , there's no offset for the lifestyle as there is in Dubai.

As Abbey say's O & G pay very well indeed and that sort of money shouldn't lose them any sleep , better to start at that level than starting to negotiate up for the basics .

Never under sell yourself anywhere is The Gulf especially here in Qatar it's a doghole . The more money you take the sweeter you'll feel mate.

Cost of living is very high , from rents to shopping to internet and especially a pint of beer.
The only thing you get value on here is Petrol , Bottled Water and Road Rage !
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Get as much as you possibly can here , you'll need it , there's no offset for the lifestyle as there is in Dubai.

As Abbey say's O & G pay very well indeed and that sort of money shouldn't lose them any sleep , better to start at that level than starting to negotiate up for the basics .

Never under sell yourself anywhere is The Gulf especially here in Qatar it's a doghole . The more money you take the sweeter you'll feel mate.

Cost of living is very high , from rents to shopping to internet and especially a pint of beer.
The only thing you get value on here is Petrol , Bottled Water and Road Rage !
IMO this advice applies to the whole of the Gulf even Dubai - when you scrape the surface they are all "same same".
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Cheers Durham Boy.

Right will go in and ask for 50kQAR and see what they say....as you say really need to make it worth my while to move from London to the middle of the desert.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Durham Boy.

Right will go in and ask for 50kQAR and see what they say....as you say really need to make it worth my while to move from London to the middle of the desert.

There's no harm . Qatar is shit , it aint Hong Kong , Singapore , Dubai or Abu Dhabi so you need to be looked after.

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:56 am
Just Joined

haha, read a few posts of yours. I love the fact that you tell it like it is no BS.

On a side note, I know they're pretty racist out there in the ME. I'm a British citizen of oriental extraction, how would I be receive out there??? Can't imagine there are many like us out there.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Seagull_smash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would say 'Hi' as I'm currentley in a 'London v Doha' dilemma and am trying to do as much research as possible on here.

I'm sure I'll have some questions and start some threads at some point, in the meantime I'll just keep up the Voyeurisim!!!

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

haha, read a few posts of yours. I love the fact that you tell it like it is no BS.

On a side note, I know they're pretty racist out there in the ME. I'm a British citizen of oriental extraction, how would I be receive out there??? Can't imagine there are many like us out there.
Qatari's don't even like each other mate , don't worry , it'll not even enter their tiny brain .

Gulf Arabs are some of the most racist people on the planet , some of it is very disturbing and very wrong .

But i'll be leaving one fine day so they can wallow in their own shite for eternity
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:16 am
Just Joined

dave.a is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Durham Boy.

hey nevets,

what was the outcome , did they freak out ? I am in a very similar situation and will love to know how they reacted.

I am also on 64k basic + 12% bounus but asking for 40k-50k basic salary , isn't this too much? Do they really pay that much ..?

And if you don't mind me asking...which position you are going for?

Dave..
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave.a
hey nevets,

what was the outcome , did they freak out ? I am in a very similar situation and will love to know how they reacted.

I am also on 64k basic + 12% bounus but asking for 40k-50k basic salary , isn't this too much? Do they really pay that much ..?

Dave..
Same position as you mate
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dave.a
hey nevets,

Dave..
Hey Dave

Not heard back yet, will give them a chase if I don't get a reply within the next few days.
It's better to start with a highish level as negotiating up will be more difficult if you''re offered the job.
I have no idea whether they're willing to pay that much but that's the minimum level I'd be comfortable with to uproot the missus and I and move out there (I've not been to the ME before even for hols). Remember, its a life changing decision so the numbers need to stack up.

Will let you know when I get a reply.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

runningscared is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all

I'm thinking of moving across to a government investment entity. Presently in London on GBP 130k (but unlike Nevets not married so perhaps don't have to buy the sparkly stuff). Have been told that it will be matched but nothing else thrown in apart from medical.

Would/should I expect housing to be included as a matter of course (i.e. an extra GBP2.5k a month) or am I being taken for a ride with the offer of matching only...

Last edited by runningscared; Jan 12th 2012 at 12:01 am.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by runningscared
Hi to all

I'm thinking of moving across to a government investment entity. Presently in London on GBP 130k (but unlike Nevets not married so perhaps don't have to buy the sparkly stuff). Have been told that it will be matched but nothing else thrown in apart from medical.

Would/should I expect housing to be included as a matter of course (i.e. an extra GBP2.5k a month) or am I being taken for a ride with the offer of matching only...
Your can live a pretty pimpin lifestyle in London on £130k as a singleton, so if I was in your position I wouldn't move unless I was getting a substantial uplift to my current package.
The minimum I think you should ask for is your current base +30% plus all the add ons like housing, medical etc. I'm assuming it's an outfit like QIA? These guys are flushed with cash so I don't think your demands are too outrageous.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.