Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Degrees and Work VISA's in Oman

Degrees and Work VISA's in Oman

Old May 14th 2018, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Steve Bowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Degrees and Work VISA's in Oman

Can anyone confirm that here has been a rule change in Oman that now enforces an individual to have to a Degree in order to come and work in here? (I'm talking about the IT sector, not building sites!) In the past a letter from your company stating your experience was sufficient to avoid this, but I've been informed that this is no longer the case. I can't find any details regarding this on the ROP website. Any info out there? Would be appreciated.
Old May 15th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Degrees and Work VISA's in Oman

Originally Posted by Steve Bowman
Can anyone confirm that here has been a rule change in Oman that now enforces an individual to have to a Degree in order to come and work in here? (I'm talking about the IT sector, not building sites!) In the past a letter from your company stating your experience was sufficient to avoid this, but I've been informed that this is no longer the case. I can't find any details regarding this on the ROP website. Any info out there? Would be appreciated.
I haven't come across this and i place candidates in Oman
I thought they had a ban on all ex pat hiring and were very strict on Omanisation
Old May 16th 2018, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Degrees and Work VISA's in Oman

Originally Posted by reddiva
I thought they had a ban on all ex pat hiring and were very strict on Omanisation
No, there is no actual "ban" on all expat hiring (I think there might be a ban on some skills, but certainly not all), but they make it very hard indeed, and often make it a condition of the hiring than an Omani is hired as well as the expat. A friend on mine who runs a fairly big international company there told me yesterday that it took him 9 months to get his most recent expat hiring approval, and he had to hire an extra Omani as well to get final approval.
Yes, they are very strict on Omanisation... But it is still possible to hire an expat if the case is strong enough.