British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Construction management in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/construction-management-dubai-874813/)

dccape Mar 24th 2016 1:58 pm

Construction management in Dubai

Hi,

Can anyone help me out, I am working in the UK as a site manager, but looking to relocate to Dubai. I don't posses any degrees as I have made my way up to this position from a trade background. If I were to take a HNC or HND civil engineering in the UK would that be a recognised dipolma and sufficient to gain a job in Dubai or will I need to go university and and achieve a degree?

Many Thanks,

David

Theseus Mar 24th 2016 2:30 pm

Re: Construction management in Dubai

I was a Site Manager and the only way I worked in the ME was in another field which I had experience in. My experience in the ME is that there are not many western Site Managers, positions above that level such as project managers are more often taken by western expats but at site level no.

Without a degree it can be difficult though not impossible to get a visa.

The moral/safety reasons for not wanting to be responsible for construction workers in the ME is also a factor for me.

Someone else with more knowledge might be better able to answer you but in my opinion you would be better getting to a higher level and then trying it.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2016 11:46 am

You'll struggle to get much more than a Superintendent position to start with, but the guys I know doing that generally have HNC / HND's behind them.

If you can, do a degree in Construction Management or at least the HNC/D. Then you'll at least stand a decent chance. There are contractors out here (European for example) that understand a really good Construction Manager doesn't need to have a degree to be as good as the next man with a degree. BUT, they generally stipulate they want one for visa purposes etc.

For example, i'm a 'Follow Up Clerk' because I hold no degree.

dccape Mar 27th 2016 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11906456)
You'll struggle to get much more than a Superintendent position to start with, but the guys I know doing that generally have HNC / HND's behind them.

If you can, do a degree in Construction Management or at least the HNC/D. Then you'll at least stand a decent chance. There are contractors out here (European for example) that understand a really good Construction Manager doesn't need to have a degree to be as good as the next man with a degree. BUT, they generally stipulate they want one for visa purposes etc.

Thanks for your reply.

One reason I am leaning towards a civil engineering is that in many of the requirements they expect you to have is a civil engineering degree. So, you reckon a HNC/D in construction management will be more beneficial for me.

I agree with you, the degree does not necessarily mean more competent management, but with out the papers I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall when I apply for anything.

If you have anymore suggest or ways that can possibly fast track me into working in Dubai, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by dccape (Post 11906470)
Thanks for your reply.

One reason I am leaning towards a civil engineering is that in many of the requirements they expect you to have is a civil engineering degree. So, you reckon a HNC/D in construction management will be more beneficial for me.

I agree with you, the degree does not necessarily mean more competent management, but with out the papers I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall when I apply for anything.

If you have anymore suggest or ways that can possibly fast track me into working in Dubai, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Much of a muchness I think.

BSc Civil Engineering or BSc Construction Management

Some companies will 'demand' Civil Engineering because they see it as 'better' perhaps?

But I would always argue it is relevant to what you are building...eg; 50 storey towers, the civil engineering degree will be useful but perhaps for only so much.... but if you want a job building bridges then maybe the other could be affirmed. (I'm sure I'll get shouted down here by some).

Anyway. Get some papers behind you, degree more useful and it will help.

Get your CV tarted up and on Gulf Talent, Naukri, Bayt. Get your Linkedin smart and open. Apply for jobs.

Catch up with any buddys that have moved out here already and see if they can help.

Consider less desirable places first. Dubai is the most preferred generally and therefore holds the pickiest firms. Try Qatar or even Saudi / Bahrain / Kuwait first and move from there once you've got some local experience under your belt.

Don't underestimate the value of local experience here. You'll be used to shouting at subbies / trades / labour with at least half a brain cell to share. You'll be lucky if you don't scream all of your own brain cells away out here.

dccape Mar 27th 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks very much for your input will definitely take it into account.

Kind regards,

Johnnyboy11 Mar 29th 2016 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dccape (Post 11906509)
Thanks very much for your input will definitely take it into account.

Kind regards,

Also take into account...

A Civil Engineering degree is a tough, full-time, 3-year course. Lots of Maths and Physics, which won't suit everyone. You might need to do a prior year to get the necessary STEM grades. That's potentially four years of fees and other expenses, with no significant income, assuming you are good enough and can stay the course.

In Dubai you'll be competing for work against the hordes from India, Philippines and to a lesser extent Egypt, who all seem to have CE degrees. Although UK Engineers are generally at a premium. If you really want to compete at manager level, best to get UK Chartered, but that's another 5 years' training and a lot of extra work.

My experience anyway.

co durham boy Mar 30th 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11906456)

New quite understand the visa name thing with certain people . I'm a Concrete Installation Advisor , i also don't have a degree but i don't care what my visa says i care what i get at the end of the month and end of the year , you see a lot name / titles and named car parking wallahs here !

It really depends on what specific part of the industry you're in and what project . There's a lot of people in construction here without degrees but what they do have is a lot of experience to compliment say a degree based PM .

A lot of companies are coming full circle now again and recognising that fact as that in tight margins and markets projects need to be driven from the ground up to be given any chance of success . You need a certain type of character / skill set / demographic to make that happen .

It's not like it was 10/15/20 years ago , the days of the Western expat in construction are on the wane , there's more people who'll work harder and cheaper involved in the market and also they learn very very quickly such as The Korean outfits. 7/14 hrs shifts per week every week is nothing for those boys at Samsung.

DXBtoDOH Mar 30th 2016 10:33 am

And Chinamen too.

I'm now seeing quite a few villas with the Chinese New Year decoration that you never saw five years ago. The Chinese are building some high profile projects around Dubai now. And their margins are impossible to believe but they do it anyway.

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11909025)
It's not like it was 10/15/20 years ago , the days of the Western expat in construction are on the wane , there's more people who'll work harder and cheaper involved in the market and also they learn very very quickly such as The Korean outfits. 7/14 hrs shifts per week every week is nothing for those boys at Samsung.

co durham boy Mar 30th 2016 11:01 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11909054)
And Chinamen too.

I'm now seeing quite a few villas with the Chinese New Year decoration that you never saw five years ago. The Chinese are building some high profile projects around Dubai now. And their margins are impossible to believe but they do it anyway.

Correct mate , the likes of China Harbour Engineering and China State construction are two of the biggest in the world and are big players in the region .

Also they finance the jobs and build for political and economic gain . Whilst the West are involved in Iraq , Syria and beyond the Chinese were taking over iron ore mines and building petrochemical plants in Africa.

jam25mack Mar 31st 2016 11:10 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11909068)
Correct mate , the likes of China Harbour Engineering and China State construction are two of the biggest in the world and are big players in the region .

They're also generally considered the worst of the worse for quality, H&S and anything else which adds a cent or two...

co durham boy Mar 31st 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11909958)
They're also generally considered the worst of the worse for quality, H&S and anything else which adds a cent or two...

Yes but that's the norm for those outfits . They also are very bad for the local economy as they import everything from China , from plant to shit house paper.

scot47 Apr 2nd 2016 7:58 am

"The East is Red". Kaiser Bill was always warning us about what would happen with the Rise of China !