Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give tips how to find legal jobs in Dubai?

Can anyone give tips how to find legal jobs in Dubai?

Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Liar Lawyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Can anyone give tips how to find legal jobs in Dubai?

Hi everyone
I have worked as an Immigration caseworker for five years and did my LLB with special hons in Business Law last year. From what I have noticed so far is that you only need to be a Law graduate with few years experience to practice in Dubai. Now I know that having an LPC and done your training contract would get you mega bux here but that is not possible for me at this stage in life so I have to go with what I have.
Is there anyone who could offer some advice as to how much chance do I have getting a job in a native firm since British law firms would not consider anyone below LPC.
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Liar Lawyer

Last edited by Liar Lawyer; Apr 1st 2011 at 10:11 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone give tips how to find legal jobs in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Liar Lawyer
Hi everyone
I have worked as an Immigration caseworker for five years and did my LLB with special hons in Business Law last year. From what I have noticed so far is that you only need to be a Law graduate with few years experience to practice in Dubai. Now I know that having an LPC and done your training contract would get you mega bux here but that is not possible for me at this stage in life so I have to go with what I have.
Is there anyone who could offer some advice as to how much chance do I have getting a job in a native firm since British law firms would not consider anyone below LPC.
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Liar Lawyer
What sort of law are you intending on following? Personal, Contract, Litigation?

If you can go Real Estate litigation / restructuring then you MAY find a job. If it's the run of the mill project/contract work then I'd say forget it, the Emirates have an over capacity of very good people doing that.

Maybe there is an opening in personal work - no idea, never had to need on here thankfully.

As for the mega-bucks. I think you will be better off in the UK - 3 kids is a lot of school fees.

Oh, and unless you can speak arabic I would also drop the notion of trying to join a local firm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Liar Lawyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Can anyone give tips how to find legal jobs in Dubai?

Hi Mill house
Thank you for your response. Contract is one area where I am strong but I'll take your advice and not be over optimistic about it. I wish to be in International Business & Partnership arena however, I am keeping all my options open. As far as Arabic is concerned, I can speak, read, and write to an elementry level (which I can always improve) along with 4 other languages.
Staying in UK is not really an option since there's no other option here than being a paralegal which would not earn me more than £15 K (before deductions). I was thinking of going there for 1st 6months or a year on my own and then bring the family over. I've heard about some Indian schools who have produced very good results in recent years and do not cost the earth so may be the two kids' fees wouldn't be so much.

Again, thank you for your advice which I have taken seriously but like I said before, staying in UK means either I become a paralegal earning £998.63 a month after deductions or keep practicing Immigration Law which I just do not want to do anymore to over-populate GB.

Regards,
Liar Lawyer