Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

British QS based in Dubai - Considering other opportunities

British QS based in Dubai - Considering other opportunities

Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Pezz361356 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British QS based in Dubai - Considering other opportunities

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been living in Dubai for a year now, and we're both QS's (we probably did something bad in a previous life!).

I'm writing on here because my wife is working for a Asian owned contractor out here, but now needs to consider other options, the company have been a nightmare from the start, but now it's got to the point where her salary is regularly late, and rather than start complaining to the govt, she would rather look at other companies and just move on (she's on my visa etc, so lets assume there's no issues moving employers for the time being, that seems to be variable depending on the season).

She's worked for a year in Canada with a PQS firm, another 2 years post degree in London for a FTSE 250 contractor, including airport experience during that time, and now a year out here.

She is open to both PQS and Contracting opportunities, as well as any entry level Project Management positions. We want to stay for the time being in the UAE, we know there's plenty in Qatar, but for the time being the UAE is good for us and our various commitments over here.

We know Dubai is quiet at the moment, so Abu Dhabi would be considered (I have to commute there every day anyway), but just really want to get a feel for anything anyone has heard that is available. I've had a look at the usual websites, but I happen to know a bunch of companies who aren't advertising and are mainly employing by word of mouth, so keen to get peoples thoughts/help/advice anything really.

If you have any more questions please feel free to join the conversation or message me directly.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British QS based in Dubai - Considering other opportunities

Originally Posted by Pezz361356
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been living in Dubai for a year now, and we're both QS's (we probably did something bad in a previous life!).

I'm writing on here because my wife is working for a Asian owned contractor out here, but now needs to consider other options, the company have been a nightmare from the start, but now it's got to the point where her salary is regularly late, and rather than start complaining to the govt, she would rather look at other companies and just move on (she's on my visa etc, so lets assume there's no issues moving employers for the time being, that seems to be variable depending on the season).

She's worked for a year in Canada with a PQS firm, another 2 years post degree in London for a FTSE 250 contractor, including airport experience during that time, and now a year out here.

She is open to both PQS and Contracting opportunities, as well as any entry level Project Management positions. We want to stay for the time being in the UAE, we know there's plenty in Qatar, but for the time being the UAE is good for us and our various commitments over here.

We know Dubai is quiet at the moment, so Abu Dhabi would be considered (I have to commute there every day anyway), but just really want to get a feel for anything anyone has heard that is available. I've had a look at the usual websites, but I happen to know a bunch of companies who aren't advertising and are mainly employing by word of mouth, so keen to get peoples thoughts/help/advice anything really.

If you have any more questions please feel free to join the conversation or message me directly.
There's still a bit of work in Dubai for QS's but competition in tough and people are working for less just to stop in Dubai , which is fine for the individual if they want to take the hit for the lifestyle choice.

My advice to anyone in the contracting expat game is you'll always struggle if you don't follow the work , you came for the work and must move for the work . Dubai has had it's big pay day the same as the decline you now see in Abu Dhabi .

There will always be good work in the U.A.E but the boom time is finished . I'm afraid emerging markets is where the work lies now . Qatar , Saudi and North Africa will see some massive growth over the next 10 years.

Good luck
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, honestly the salary she's on is in line with or lower than back in the UK, so believe me it's not a salary level issue if someone is looking for a western expat, its now primarily finding an employer that wont dock pay without notice, and will pay on time. Location within the UAE is flexible as I said.

It would be good to hear back from anyone who may have heard of any opportunities, even if that means she competes with non-western educated candidates, it would be worth hearing about.

Thanks again
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pezz361356
Thanks for the advice, honestly the salary she's on is in line with or lower than back in the UK, so believe me it's not a salary level issue if someone is looking for a western expat, its now primarily finding an employer that wont dock pay without notice, and will pay on time. Location within the UAE is flexible as I said.

It would be good to hear back from anyone who may have heard of any opportunities, even if that means she competes with non-western educated candidates, it would be worth hearing about.

Thanks again
Try Habtoor Leighton and Al Naboodah , they've picked up a bit in the U.A.E
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Will do, thank you again
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try Systech