Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Brazilian IT Consultant Single move to Dubai with a Job Offer 20k AED

Brazilian IT Consultant Single move to Dubai with a Job Offer 20k AED

Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Imortal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brazilian IT Consultant Single move to Dubai with a Job Offer 20k AED

Hello,

I’m an Brazilian 35 years old single IT Consultant that got an offer of 20000 AED per month job offer. My expectation is to stay in Dubai for about 2-3 years and complete an academic course in a good institution. The course most likely will be a MBA.

I will be working in Jebel Ali and the job offer is:
• 20k AED salary per month;
• 30 days annual leave per annum;
• Air tickets once per year to Home Country (Brazil);
• Medical Insurance;
• Life Insurance;
• 48 working hours per week;
• 2 years of contract.

I would like to save at least 25% of my salary to travel during vocations and holidays to near and Far East countries. Please check the following expectation of cost of living:
• 1 Bed Room Apartment in Dubai Sports City well equipped: 5000 AED
• Mobile Phone = 300 AED
• Home Internet = 200 AED
• Gym = 500 AED
• Car with Fuel = 3000 AED
• Food = 2000 AED
• Academic Course (MBA) = 4000 AED

Notice that all cost are per month.

It seems to be a good deal but I would like to some comments and advises. This is my first time abroad to live as an expat therefore everything is new for me. Any thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks,
Imortal
Old Jan 21st 2018, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Brazilian IT Consultant Single move to Dubai with a Job Offer 20k AED

Thoughts:

20,000 isn't a huge amount of money. It's workable but see if they have more in the pot.

30 calendar days or working days annual holiday?
Don't need a gym membership if you have a decent gym in your building.
Decent internet at home is more than 200. We pay 570 but that's for some very basic TV as well.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Imortal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brazilian IT Consultant Single move to Dubai with a Job Offer 20k AED

As far I'm negotiating there isn't more in pot as I'm not assuning at first a managing position.

Vacation are 30 calendar days.

Regarding TV + Internet + Mobile, is there any package that can add everything up?

Also, do you think that 4k AED will be enough for a good MBA? I looking forward to have an academic degree outside brazil too.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Imortal
As far I'm negotiating there isn't more in pot as I'm not assuning at first a managing position.

Vacation are 30 calendar days.

Regarding TV + Internet + Mobile, is there any package that can add everything up?

Also, do you think that 4k AED will be enough for a good MBA? I looking forward to have an academic degree outside brazil too.
Don't assume, ask for more money. They can only say no at worst.

30 calendar days is shitty. I believe if you want a working week holiday they'll charge you the weekends either sides, so for 5 days off you need to use 9. Possibly. Worth clarifying.

I assume there are packages for everything together. Etisalat and Du are the two providers - check their websites.

No idea about 4k for an MBA, sorry. Lots of universities here though. What about study time? If purely online then fine but if you need time off you'll get through those 30 calendar days pretty quickly.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

kostik3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Imortal
Good MBA in Dubai? You be better off doing on line course with some British university instead. It will set you about 1000 pounds a months but at least it will be recognized globally.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

20k isn't brilliant but it's liveable. For someone in your position it's best to be as tight as possible. Get a studio, not a one-bedroom. Consider a studio on a metro line and taking the metro to Jebel Ali instead of having your own car (saving 3,000 a month) etc. Rents are declining, and I'm now seeing studios and even small 1-bedrooms being offered in Dubai Marina for 60,000 (or 5k a month) and that's the best place to live in terms of proximity to Jebel Ali. Plus you have shops and restaurants you can walk to.

Be aware that you have to pay 5% housing tax on top of the rent (5% of year's rent divided by 12 months), and it's included as part of your utilities bill. Expect to spend around 15% of the rent in utilities, housing tax and internet.

You can get long term car hires for around 1500/month or even less if you shop around.

The one thing that's missing from your budget is social activities. Life in Dubai is not cheap but it can be managed reasonably enough if you stick to a tight budget.

Regarding calendar days, each company calculates them differently. Ask for firm clarifications.