Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Maymona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Originally Posted by RandomStranger
Is it easy to get a direct contract from a university? Or did you get it through an agency?
Yeah fairly easy. I applied online as the position was advertised online. It wasn't through an agency.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

For an academic job in ME, I think we'd better search a job advert on the Internet or from a particular university, or contact the Chairman or Dean direct rather than through an agency; there are many reasons for this. It is a bit sad nowadays many Egyptians, Jordanians, Indians and Pakistanis dominate every university, so be prepared to work with them.

With my little experience in Kuwait, I would say the cost of living there might be roughly two times higher than Al Khobar's, but slightly lower than London's. As far as I know, if you work in a public university, e.g. Kuwait University, they may provide you with a flat in a compound. In case you do not want to drive, you may take a shuttle bus to work daily. As for AUM, please find many negative perceptions in this forum or elsewhere. Good luck with your job hunting!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks wwinit for the info.

I'm still waiting for someone to answer my salary question. Anyone please?

Namely, is 12,000 SAR/month as a basic salary too low for a Brit recent PhD graduate. I have a good track record of publications and had paid teaching experience for three years during my PhD studies. What should I be expecting instead?
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:06 am
Just Joined

RandomStranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know, but I think part of the problem is that there is a law of diminishing returns regarding paying highly for teaching English. That means finding highly paid employment for something that is not specialized might mean a more detailed search. Other countries would probably pay better?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Academia in both KSA and Kuwait is full of professors from Asia and the Middle East who would happily teach for half of what Maymona has been offered.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick question, I've been invited to a university campus visit in Kuwait (basically it's an interview face-to-face). If I happen to decline their offer after the visit for one reason or another, will they expect me to pay back travel and accommodation expenses?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

The AUM camp is quite close to me - however they do have several branches .. I have a friend or 2 from there and they seem to enjoy it. KD1800 per month is reasonable - as long as your accommodation is covered.

"will they expect me to pay back travel and accommodation expenses?" - No
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

comparison between KSA and Kuwait is difficult as I think both are sh!t. Well, I have been to KSA a few times but never been to Kuwait, but I think KSA is the worst. I heard that AUM is bad in terms of students attitudes and behavior. Money-wise, I think you will be better of with AUM offer than PMU.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Joke13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maymona
Hi everyone,

I've just been offered a job at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University in Al-Khobar which I have pasted below. I am a British national who recently got a PhD (less than a year ago) from a UK university

I have had experience in teaching at university for three years during my PhD studies. I don't have any university teaching experience post-PhD as I spent that time working in the voluntary sector and looking after a very ill relative. I have track record of publications in peer reviewed international journals -- published four journals so far.

Could anyone please suggest if the salary and the benefits that come with it are good enough?

Thanks,
May
  • Assistant Professor, Maths and Natural Science, College of Arts and Science;
  • An employment term commencing on actual date of commencement of work at PMU and ending by the Spring Semester,2016 with renewal/extension by mutual agreement;
  • A monthly salary of SR 11864;
  • As per PMU availability, furnished housing with basic household goods or a housing allowance equivalent to 3 basic salaries;
  • A monthly transportation allowance of SR. 600
  • Paid annual vacation of 60 days.
  • Medical insurance plan for you;
  • If applicable; a visa processing fee allowance maximum of SR 5,000;
  • Economy class air ticket for you from place of origin as per your passport to Dammam, KSA at the beginning of the contract and from Dammam, KSA to place of origin as per your passport for repatriation on the completion of your Employment Contract;
  • Economy class round trip air ticket for annual vacation travel for you to place of origin as per your passport in accordance with PMU policy;
  • End of service benefit of one half month’s basic salary for each year of service payable on the completion of your Employment Contract.
Dear Maymona, I am currently negotiating with PMU and would like to talk to you about it. Please send me a private message with your email if you are interested.
Regarding your questions:
1. In the Middle East the wages for humanities teachers are generally low when you start out at a university.
2. It is definitly possible to negotiate regarding your salary. I did that succesfully. How much you can get depends on your technique and thus that cannot be answered that easily.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EastWest
comparison between KSA and Kuwait is difficult as I think both are sh!t. Well, I have been to KSA a few times but never been to Kuwait, but I think KSA is the worst. I heard that AUM is bad in terms of students attitudes and behavior. Money-wise, I think you will be better of with AUM offer than PMU.
True, but living costs in Kuwait is way more expensive than in KSA which makes up for the difference in salary, no?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maymona
True, but living costs in Kuwait is way more expensive than in KSA which makes up for the difference in salary, no?
Depends upom whether you want to live in the dark ages or not. Kuwait has its faults, but at least it recognises women as more than third class citizens.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Toyota2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Assistant professor job in Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

Originally Posted by Joke13
Dear Maymona, I am currently negotiating with PMU and would like to talk to you about it. Please send me a private message with your email if you are interested.
Regarding your questions:
1. In the Middle East the wages for humanities teachers are generally low when you start out at a university.
2. It is definitly possible to negotiate regarding your salary. I did that succesfully. How much you can get depends on your technique and thus that cannot be answered that easily.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Hello Joke13, I love to hear about negotiating techniques, I am on the same track and trying to collect as much info as I can so I know how to negotiate. email will be fine, if you can.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

mtamal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
I am british national with a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering and 7 years post PhD experience in both research and teaching with a good track record of publicaitons. I also hold a permanent position in one of the leading universities in the UK. However, I am really looking forward to move to the middle east particularly Saudi Arabia. I have applied to few universities in January including PMU, but have not heard anthing so far. Could anyone please let me know how long it takes in general to get a response from universities in the middle east.
Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Toyota2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mtamal
Hi everyone
I am british national with a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering and 7 years post PhD experience in both research and teaching with a good track record of publicaitons. I also hold a permanent position in one of the leading universities in the UK. However, I am really looking forward to move to the middle east particularly Saudi Arabia. I have applied to few universities in January including PMU, but have not heard anthing so far. Could anyone please let me know how long it takes in general to get a response from universities in the middle east.
Cheers
I have applied also and have similar expertise to you but in mechanical dept. the only difference is that i am from the US. please stay in touch and let us how it works for you, i will do the same
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

mtamal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toyota2011
I have applied also and have similar expertise to you but in mechanical dept. the only difference is that i am from the US. please stay in touch and let us how it works for you, i will do the same

When did you apply? Surely I will stay in touch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.