British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Assistant Prof (Economics) KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/assistant-prof-economics-ksa-930739/)

masterkb Jan 30th 2020 11:11 am

Assistant Prof (Economics) KSA

Dear All,
Good day. I am an African living in Africa. I have a PhD and 2 years of postdoc experience. I have this job offer from a university in Jeddah with the following:
- duration: 1-year renewable contract
- research: 4 publications (per year) in ISI indexed journals in the field
- teaching 14 credit hours per semester
- salary: SAR 12 120 per month
- housing allowance: SAR 25 000 per year
- furniture allowance: SAR 12 500 (applicable to the first year)
- medicals: university hospital provided
- leave: 60 days paid leave per year
- others: administrative duties may be assigned.

Kindly advise me on this offer. Is the salary OK based on my experience and qualification? What about accommodation? I have a maximum of 6 days to respond to the letter.

Thanks a lot.

Charl01 Jan 30th 2020 11:36 am

Re: Assistant Prof (Economics) KSA

That is about on par with current salaries teaching at the university ….

masterkb Jan 30th 2020 11:44 am

Thank you, Charl01.
How about accommodation in Jeddah, how expensive is it? Is it very likely to get renewal of the contract in Saudi? I have reservations about the annual publication requirements too. I
I appreciate your thought

Charl01 Jan 30th 2020 11:48 am

Originally Posted by masterkb (Post 12798493)
Thank you, Charl01.
How about accommodation in Jeddah, how expensive is it? Is it very likely to get renewal of the contract in Saudi? I have reservations about the annual publication requirements too. I
I appreciate your thought

Accommodation you should be able to get a pretty decent 2 bedroom apartment for that price, although that will not be in a compound. Jeddah has changed so really no need anymore to stay in a compound.
Are you single? Because if you have children the International schools are expensive.
Not sure about the publications, I have a few friends teaching at KAU, never heard of them having to do that. As for contract renewal some of friends have been working there for many years, their contracts are renewed each year.

scot47 Jan 30th 2020 4:13 pm

Not all international schools in Jeddah are expensive

See this one 0- Italian International School

For those with an African background there is The Ethiopian School. See Facebook

Rules about education allowance may have changed. It was one payment annually of SAR25,00. Not per child but simply a payment as a part-contribution. It may deter applications from those with school-age children.

masterkb Jan 30th 2020 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Charl01 (Post 12798495)
Accommodation you should be able to get a pretty decent 2 bedroom apartment for that price, although that will not be in a compound. Jeddah has changed so really no need anymore to stay in a compound.
Are you single? Because if you have children the International schools are expensive.
Not sure about the publications, I have a few friends teaching at KAU, never heard of them having to do that. As for contract renewal some of friends have been working there for many years, their contracts are renewed each year.

Thanks a lot Cahrl01. I am single so 1-bedroom apartment will do.

masterkb Jan 30th 2020 6:22 pm

Thank you Scot47.I will have no issue with schools since I am moving alone.