Architecture

Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:45 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architecture

Right, so as I got no response to my previous query, I'll try something else.

Working in an architectural practice, is it harder going out there compared to the UK? Especially interested in anyone with experience from Bahrain, though I've assumed work ethics/moral is quite similar across the GCC, correct me if I am wrong. I would not be in a senior position were I to ever get myself a job there, more like junior/intermediate position. Some of my friends here in the UK have it pretty tough occasionally, expected to work long hours, etc. Personally, I have been quite lucky with my employer in some respects. A very hands off attitude. However, with pay cuts, currently at 20%, I am willing to suffer a little for full pay.

On that note, how is the Bahrain construction industry? My sources on the ground tell me its started moving a little again. Clients are returning to spend more money. Got a trip lined up in the near future aswell, so hopefully have a chance to have some interviews and scope out the scene as it were.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecture

Originally Posted by Norsk-also

Working in an architectural practice, is it harder going out there compared to the UK? Especially interested in anyone with experience from Bahrain, though I've assumed work ethics/moral is quite similar across the GCC, correct me if I am wrong. I would not be in a senior position were I to ever get myself a job there, more like junior/intermediate position. Some of my friends here in the UK have it pretty tough occasionally, expected to work long hours, etc. Personally, I have been quite lucky with my employer in some respects. A very hands off attitude. However, with pay cuts, currently at 20%, I am willing to suffer a little for full pay.

On that note, how is the Bahrain construction industry? My sources on the ground tell me its started moving a little again. Clients are returning to spend more money. Got a trip lined up in the near future aswell, so hopefully have a chance to have some interviews and scope out the scene as it were.
have you thought about Qatar? alot of construction work going on there, I am really not sure about Bahrain. The Dean was in bahrain but it appears he has stopped posting.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:06 pm
Global Hobo

Well, my main reason to get to Bahrain is my partner having relocated there. The idea is for me to join her. I have suggested possibly Qatar or even try to find something in Dammam for myself. At least we'd be closer. Some of the companies I have contacted have also pointed me in direction of AD or Qatar. But I'd like to get an undestanding of the work environment before I decide to up sticks and move, finding a job provided. I am in the pursuit of happiness, I work to live, not live to work.

My previous entry still stands though, I have no experience from the GCC area, I have plenty of living experience from other parts of the world, and some work experience from Africa, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't compare too well. Africa is definatly not for everyone, I saw many heart attacks waiting to happen as the anger boiled when the phone rang with endless excuses as to why things weren't going to happen today either.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my main reason to get to Bahrain is my partner having relocated there. The idea is for me to join her. I have suggested possibly Qatar or even try to find something in Dammam for myself. At least we'd be closer. Some of the companies I have contacted have also pointed me in direction of AD or Qatar. But I'd like to get an undestanding of the work environment before I decide to up sticks and move, finding a job provided. I am in the pursuit of happiness, I work to live, not live to work.

My previous entry still stands though, I have no experience from the GCC area, I have plenty of living experience from other parts of the world, and some work experience from Africa, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't compare too well. Africa is definatly not for everyone, I saw many heart attacks waiting to happen as the anger boiled when the phone rang with endless excuses as to why things weren't going to happen today either.
that is a Middle East thing, I bet it is worse in Bahrain than it was in Africa.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:02 pm
Global Hobo

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that is a Middle East thing, I bet it is worse in Bahrain than it was in Africa.
Having grown up on a steady diet of endless traffic jams, not possible and tomorrow is another day, I'm relatively immune to non action as it were, anger management wise at least. If it's any worse than Africa, I'd have to say I'm impressed with what they have achieved.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Having grown up on a steady diet of endless traffic jams, not possible and tomorrow is another day, I'm relatively immune to non action as it were, anger management wise at least. If it's any worse than Africa, I'd have to say I'm impressed with what they have achieved.
it's things like, closing schools down cos it rains, closing roads down cos important people visit, it is crazy. Last minute holidays due to the death of a Sheik forcing an event to be postponed that could have been organised 6 months in advance, then of course there are the drivers, that's a whole new thread
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:10 pm
Global Hobo

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it's things like, closing schools down cos it rains, closing roads down cos important people visit, it is crazy. Last minute holidays due to the death of a Sheik forcing an event to be postponed that could have been organised 6 months in advance, then of course there are the drivers, that's a whole new thread
I don't really find those things unusal or daunting, more of this should happen in Europe. Spice things up a little. I miss the unpredictability a little, everything is too structured and organized here, and things still manage to fail.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

it all depends on the nationality of the company you are working for in my opinion, if its a branch of a multi-national practice you'll be working similarily to any western practice. with the addition of some lower paid asian nationalities doing most of the drafting and admin work etc. things will be slower in general but mainly due to the overadminisitration and the quality of the work carried out by the more junior staff, plenty of rework and checking..

if its an arabic partnership it'll be a lot slower moving though i'd be surprised if you wind up in this role, as most are employed as 'local' advisers i.e. collect a fee for a bit of palm greasing, and oiling the wheels of the local authorities but not much else..
as mentioned by blue cat, try qatar or abu dhabi, more promising than bahrain in my opinion
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:32 pm
Global Hobo

Originally Posted by weasel central
it all depends on the nationality of the company you are working for in my opinion, if its a branch of a multi-national practice you'll be working similarily to any western practice.
As far as I have been able to dig, there's about 1 western firm in Bahrain with any major presence, another large firm as well but they directed me for my speciality elsewhere. A few other represented, but too small to offer work and mainly seem to be there for administrative purposes.

if its an arabic partnership it'll be a lot slower moving though i'd be surprised if you wind up in this role, as most are employed as 'local' advisers i.e. collect a fee for a bit of palm greasing, and oiling the wheels of the local authorities but not much else..
as mentioned by blue cat, try qatar or abu dhabi, more promising than bahrain in my opinion
Have had a look at some of their websites, and I've found the standard pretty shocking. Perhaps 1 or 2 firms that have had any aspirational work on their site. Thanks for your insight though, just the sort of info I'm after. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and get back to commuting.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:53 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

firstly...

copycat!

secondly..

word on the street in bahrain is that after a lot of construction started up again about 4 months ago one or two major developments have gone into full stop again due to non-payment to the contractors...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:16 pm
Global Hobo

Originally Posted by norsk
firstly...

copycat!

secondly..

word on the street in bahrain is that after a lot of construction started up again about 4 months ago one or two major developments have gone into full stop again due to non-payment to the contractors...
Yeah, sorry about that. Just trying to fit in. No matter where you go in the world, there's always 1 Norwegian.

And hmm..thats not good news. Though my line of work is generally a bit more long term than active building projects. Was hoping there might be some openings now that Bahrain has completed its urban development framework. Guess i'll just have to wait and see, got somewhat of an interview lined up when I'm over.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:14 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, sorry about that. Just trying to fit in. No matter where you go in the world, there's always 1 Norwegian.

And hmm..thats not good news. Though my line of work is generally a bit more long term than active building projects. Was hoping there might be some openings now that Bahrain has completed its urban development framework. Guess i'll just have to wait and see, got somewhat of an interview lined up when I'm over.
don't worry mate. i hate those pesky norwegians as well. :-)

there is of course the diyar project which apparently is going to start the building construction phase next year. of course it could just be talk..
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:22 pm
Global Hobo

don't worry mate. i hate those pesky norwegians as well. :-)

there is of course the diyar project which apparently is going to start the building construction phase next year. of course it could just be talk..
Thanks for that, gonna have a look at them. When will the companies out there understand the benefit of a decent website?

And as for Norwegians, well..I'll restrain myself.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:31 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Thanks for that, gonna have a look at them. When will the companies out there understand the benefit of a decent website?

And as for Norwegians, well..I'll restrain myself.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/urban...or-355212.html
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:54 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Have had a look at some of their websites, and I've found the standard pretty shocking. Perhaps 1 or 2 firms that have had any aspirational work on their site. Thanks for your insight though, just the sort of info I'm after. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and get back to commuting.
no problem, also though I hate to suggest it having just left but there is a lot of work in Saudi, its a money versus life choice.

do you mean Qatari Diar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.