Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Apologies but any advice appreciated, is it worth it....

Apologies but any advice appreciated, is it worth it....

Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

consideringit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apologies but any advice appreciated, is it worth it....

Been offered a job for a company out here (AD) and need to decide if it is worthwhile.

Currently in London on £75k per year with some bonuses now and again, nothing special though. I'm a data analyst with 9 years experience in finance.

Job is for a Data Analyst for a company out here:

AED32k pm basic
AED 11k pm housing
Annual bonus of 75k AED
Flight allowance of 4k AED per annum
Medical for self
No school or transport allowance.
No relocation allowance.

AED 595 all in

I have 2 young kids(ages 0 & 1) and a wife. She will work when the youngest goes to nursery, she has qualifications and good experience in UK nurseries.

Is this enough to live a comfortable life given health insurance(for wife and kids), schooling costs, etc.

I know I can prove myself and hopefully earn more over time and the wife's wage will help when she gets a job, even if it isn't that much.

I have filled in the is it worth it spreadsheet, great tool, thank you to its creator. It is saying after spending around 170k on a villa, that I will have between 15-20k sterling left per year(much more than currently saving). I have put most costs up at its bling level(seems to be average in most opinions but £1000pm on food seems a lot and £1000pm on clothes, drinks/dinners out, misc cash also seem a lot(we probably only go out once every couple of months at present)).

Any thoughts are much appreciated?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:07 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Apologies but any advice appreciated, is it worth it....

In the words of a dodgy american sneaker company that employs sweatshop labour...

"Just do it".
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

if we ignore the bonus etc. you are at around 44k a month all in. You will be fine on that. 15-20k GBP/savings wouldn't be unrealistic.

The killer will come though when the sprogs need to go to school. It will cost 35k/year for each of them.

The misses isn't going to make her millions in Dubai. Mrs Millhouse works in a school as a TA and gets 5k / month. She took the job on thinking it was 2k/month as that is the market rate... but it all helps. We use her money to just blow on nice things. The biggest benefit about the wife working isn't the income, it's the (vastly) reduced outgoings.

So, 1) Take the leap, 2) don't bank on the wife's earnings, 3) see if you can get the kids school fees paid (or at least contributed to) to really sweeten the deal.

Go easy on the housing in the first year until you understand your costs.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

170k is the very top end of my budget for a villa, hoping for a 3-4 bed in Al Raha Gardens for that. Will see!!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by consideringit
Job is for a Data Analyst for a company out here:

AED32k pm basic I don't know what the going rate for a data analyst is in the UK/UAE? Do your homework on this
AED 11k pm housing This will not go far in Abu Dhabi (esp housing a family of 4) unless you live off the island and in the desert (read KCA etc)
Annual bonus of 75k AEDThere is no such thing as a guaranteed bonus otherwise it would be called "salary"
Flight allowance of 4k AED per annumAt current prices, this will barely get you a single return ticket per annum to UK unless you book very very very far in advance and/or spawn a cheap ticket through a deal
Medical for selfThis is barely a benefit as without it you'd struggle. Med insurance for your wife and child is expensive. Get a quote from Cigna/Amex etc - again, do you homework
No school or transport allowance.This will bite. Petrol is cheap but cars aren't as cheap as they were. Taxis in AUH are cheap but schools most definitely are not. If you live off the island then your wife will commit suicide unless you have 2 cars (or you walk to work (impossible) and leave her with the wheels!)
No relocation allowance.Again, this isn't cheap. Do your homework

AED 595 all in

I have 2 young kids(ages 0 & 1) and a wife. She will work when the youngest goes to nursery, she has qualifications and good experience in UK nurseries.Don't bank on anything being a given. Nurseries here are staffed by Fillipinas etc who earn 1,500k per month

Is this enough to live a comfortable life given health insurance(for wife and kids), schooling costs, etc. Only you can be the judge of this, but Middle East is expensive re cost of living

I know I can prove myself and hopefully earn more over time and the wife's wage will help when she gets a job, even if it isn't that much.Again, don't bank on this. Nothing is guaranteed in the Middle East.

I have filled in the is it worth it spreadsheet, great tool, thank you to its creator. It is saying after spending around 170k on a villa, that I will have between 15-20k sterling left per year(much more than currently saving). I have put most costs up at its bling level(seems to be average in most opinions but £1000pm on food seems a lot It probably is about right for a family of 4and £1000pm on clothes, drinks/dinners out, misc cash also seem a lot(we probably only go out once every couple of months at present))Remember it's farking expensive here.....

Any thoughts are much appreciated?
See above for my twopenneth. Be sure - VERY sure before you commit to the upheaval... Again, it's not about what other people think - you have to decide if it (the Middle East) works for you.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:24 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
See above for my twopenneth. Be sure - VERY sure before you commit to the upheaval... Again, it's not about what other people think - you have to decide if it (the Middle East) works for you.
That is a great response...and great advice by all.

Ill give you an example..we don't go out often. Every now and again we will go to the local golf club (as its local) on a saturday tea time for an early dinner (we have a small child)..3 meals, a couple of beers, few wines and we are looking at nearly 100quid...for the equivelent in the UK of nipping to your local for bangers and mash and a few quiet beers...30quid.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

disagree on some of the responses.

medical is required to be provided on ad visa for family, including spouse and upto 3 children.
if you have qualifications you can work in a nursery as a manager or teacher and get much more than the others would it wouldnt be 1500 a month, it would be nearer 6 a month. working in a school you would get perhaps 6500 a month but that would not always been term time.

170 is very good but you wont need to spend that you could get something for 150 in kca.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

On an AD visa your employer must provide medical insurance for your wife and children too.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
On an AD visa your employer must provide medical insurance for your wife and children too.
They are telling me that as I am the sponsor to my wife and kids that I have to pay their medical insurance, is this not true?

Thanks for the responses above. It is good to get an idea of prices and you guys are best for that. Although, certain things are a lot cheaper there.

Flight allowance, I can get return flights to London right now for £267 for an adult with alitalia, 4k AED would pay for almost 3 tickets.

Cars, the difference in costs of cars compared to the UK is staggering. I am selling my 2 year old car in the UK for £18k, that will buy 2 reasonable cars according to dubizzle.

Villa, ARG or KCA are where we would want to live. 150k-170k seems to be quite reasonable for a place. How negotiable are the prices the villas are advertised for? I know someone in AD who tells me that if its advertised for 180k, in most cases you bid 140k and get in for 150-160k, is this a true reflection?

Thanks again for the information, very very helpful.

Last edited by consideringit; Jan 17th 2013 at 6:57 am.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow
Medical card is not same as medical insurance.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

Regarding flights, bear in mind that AD to UK round trip is more expensive than UK to AD round trip. We found that we paid about a quarter to a third more booking our flights back to the UK than the cost of doing it the other way round. I know people who go back to the UK regularly and they book it UK to AD and pay the extra leg as they know they'll use it. Not loads, but for a family it will all add up.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raining
Regarding flights, bear in mind that AD to UK round trip is more expensive than UK to AD round trip. We found that we paid about a quarter to a third more booking our flights back to the UK than the cost of doing it the other way round. I know people who go back to the UK regularly and they book it UK to AD and pay the extra leg as they know they'll use it. Not loads, but for a family it will all add up.
Thanks, I did notice that. Will be booking the UK to AD as it is much cheaper.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks, I did notice that. Will be booking the UK to AD as it is much cheaper.
Good shout from Raining.

I got my old firm to give me my repatriation flight for first trip home and then/now always book London-Dubai-London because it's cheaper.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They are telling me that as I am the sponsor to my wife and kids that I have to pay their medical insurance, is this not true?

No it isn't true. HAAD (Health Authority Abu Dhabi). Laws and Regulations states:

All employers and sponsors are responsible for the procurement of health insurance coverage and possession of valid health insurance at all times for their employees and their families (1 spouse and 3 children under 18), inclusive of registration fees, as well as the cost of the policy and for the cost of all health care services that are provided to persons on his sponsorship in the event that such a person is not covered by a valid health insurance policy.

The law restricts the employer or sponsor from passing on the cost of providing health insurance to their employees and dependents, and such an act will be considered a violation of the law and shall hold the employer or sponsor subject to investigation and penalties. Complaints may be filed at the Complaints Unit at GAHS, if such a case occurs.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:50 am
Bored liberal

Medical card is not same as medical insurance.
No they aren't the same, but it's immaterial as the employer must provide medical insurance - by law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.