Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Originally Posted by sg800
Hi FA, I will send you a PM more than happy for you to send a CV
OK I have sent this now, hear from you shortly! Cheers!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Spart, well done in making yourself sound like a typical arrogant expat, good work
What was arrogant about my post. Way to leap to a whopping conclusion.
In case you struggled reading my post from the height of your horse you are on I mentioned the company I work for covers the whole of the construction sector, I sit opposite people looking after QS roles, Project management, roles with main contractors etc.
Sitting opposite people who work in that area...gee - I guess that makes you pretty knowledgeable.
I have worked in recruitment for over 6 years, including 18 months in the UAE QS/Commercial market.
You said you worked in recruiting for Facilities Management.

I have worked in Engineering and Construction for 20 years, in NZ, Australia, Malaysia, Canada and 14 months here in the UAE and have been hiring and firing staff for probably 18 of those.

Last edited by spart; Nov 11th 2009 at 2:48 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spart

Sitting opposite people who work in that area...gee - I guess that makes you pretty knowledgeable.

I have worked in Engineering and Construction for 20 years, in NZ, Australia, Malaysia, Canada and 14 months here in the UAE and have been hiring and firing staff for probably 18 of those.
Spurt, are you some kind of forum 'character' or are you actually like this in real life? If it is the latter I genuinely feel a bit sorry for you. On that basis I will dignify your comments with a response, usually I wouldnt get involved but perhaps I could help you understand how your comments may lead people to perceive you.

Your post was ridiculous, it was arrogant and patronising. It started pretty badly with you claiming the responses thus far were not unfriendly - I think the OP asked a very reasonable question (all he needed was a name of an agency) and probably was expecting a response different to "pass on the message to everyone else in your industry back home etc etc". I imagine those who wrote said responses are not in construction or in recruitment, if they were their feedback would have been slightly different.

Given the fact that I am in construction recruitment (as pointed out I NOW do FM but have extensive QS/Commercial experience, and given I work in an office of 4 people who purely do construction recruitment, with a focus on QS and Project Management) I thought I may be well qualified to offer some assistance as to current market trends, at least able to offer better assistance than those with no involvement in either recruitment or the construction sector (people are not bought in from abroad anymore? Really??) Of the top 20 contractors and consultancies in Dubai we probably deal with circa 90% so without wanting to sound arrogant I think I can possibly help on this subject as to what is going on in the market etc in general. Or as you put it I should be 'safe' as this is my area of expertise, and I should be 'qualified' to give advice in this area to the 'young guy' (incidentally, how do you know his age? Sure he has 5 years experience as an MEP QS, but who says he didnt start as a civil engineer and then retrain as a QS 5 years ago? He may be 60 y.o. Unlikely, but again no need to patronise).

I guess the genius element of your post is the irony which you appear oblivious to. YOu work in Engineering, not Quantity Surveying? So the Engineering guru is qualified to give advice on the QS sector, whilst the recruitment consultant with hands on experience of meeting and working with clients in the QS sector and day to day involvement with colleagues doing the same, hearing their feedback, seeing which placements they are making, which clients they are talking to etc is not 'safe' or 'qualified' to assist? Perhaps it is your 20 years as an expat which have given you these ideas above your station, I dont know, but here is hoping you are a better engineer than you are a forum character

Cheers Spurt, catch you next time.

Last edited by sg800; Nov 12th 2009 at 4:25 am.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

function_analysis is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Spart, I'm so sorry for interrupting your argumentation on which side is better offering advice to unemployed/career switchers/jobseekers and the like, but unless you're trolling around I'd say you're getting OUT OF TOPIC

THANK YOU

P/S No offence taken, yet I need to highlight that as OP I'm actively looking for taking my career the next ahead, which rather is in the GCC area. I'm sure you're pretty well informed on the situation and the opportunities there, so please share with us your knowledge but not your emotions or this unjustified anger. Your input is highly welcomed, at least at my end.

Thank you (x2)

Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:27 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

How much per CV received does sg800 get????

Willing to put it in a beer kitty and pay for a slap up nite out with spart et al???
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
How much per CV received does sg800 get????

Willing to put it in a beer kitty and pay for a slap up nite out with spart et al???
Do some recruitment companies work based on receiving money per CV received? That is a novel approach.....
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Spurt, are you some kind of forum 'character' or are you actually like this in real life?
This is me in real life.
If it is the latter I genuinely feel a bit sorry for you. On that basis I will dignify your comments with a response, usually I wouldnt get involved but perhaps I could help you understand how your comments may lead people to perceive you.
Gee..thanks, I really need you to feel sorry for me, and I can't wait for your pearls of wisdom...
Your post was ridiculous, it was arrogant and patronising. It started pretty badly with you claiming the responses thus far were not unfriendly...
Umm...I think you might be a little shrill there petal. Some of us live in the real world, and think that the responses were pretty honest. Now, before we forget, you are a Recruitment Monkey, so your responses are more than a little biased by your profession. For the general level of respect that is shown towards Recruitment Monkeys, please see the responses on the thread "QS jobs in the Middle East"that is running at the moment, to understand generally what people think of your kind. There are some good agencies out there in Europe and elsewhere, but here in the UAE; Recruitment Monkeys are a shower of shite.
Given the fact that I am in construction recruitment (as pointed out I NOW do FM
You didnt say this in your first post tiger.
...so without wanting to sound arrogant...
Oh, but you do, my dear...
Or as you put it I should be 'safe' as this is my area of expertise, and I should be 'qualified' to give advice in this area to the 'young guy' (incidentally, how do you know his age? Sure he has 5 years experience as an MEP QS, but who says he didnt start as a civil engineer and then retrain as a QS 5 years ago? He may be 60 y.o.
Quite the pedant, aren't we petal?
I guess the genius element of your post is the irony which you appear oblivious to....the recruitment consultant with hands on experience of meeting and working with clients in the QS sector
...but, you said you worked in Facilities Management recruitment....muppet
Cheers Spurt, catch you next time.
Oh, I am holding my breath...

Last edited by spart; Nov 13th 2009 at 9:58 am.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

This is me in real life.

Gee..thanks, I really need you to feel sorry for me, and I can't wait for your pearls of wisdom...

Umm...I think you might be a little shrill there petal. Some of us live in the real world, and think that the responses were pretty honest. Now, before we forget, you are a Recruitment Monkey, so your responses are more than a little biased by your profession. For the general level of respect that is shown towards Recruitment Monkeys, please see the responses on the thread "QS jobs in the Middle East"that is running at the moment, to understand generally what people think of your kind. There are some good agencies out there in Europe and elsewhere, but here in the UAE; Recruitment Monkeys are a shower of shite.

You didnt say this in your first post tiger.

Oh, but you do, my dear...

Quite the pedant, aren't we petal?

...but, you said you worked in Facilities Management recruitment....muppet

Oh, I am holding my breath...
Obviously you find reading pretty tricky mate, so I will just highlight my original comment which apparently doesnt say I work in construction recruitment;

I work for a construction recruitment company over here in Dubai (covering the region), and we have clients calling us again which is nice.

It is fair to say that most clients are still giving strong preference to candidates based here BUT on my side (Facilities Management) I do have some requirements that we just cant find people for locally and as such my clients are willing to look at people with no local experience. Whilst this has not quite reached the construction side (property and FM is always going to be a bit more stable I guess as it is the built environment rather than building stuff) I am sure sooner or later it will.

Do you now understand? If not try reading it slower.

As for you being a member of the "all recruitment companies in the UAE are rubbish" brigade I guess this sums up your mentality and level of intelligence. Why would it be in my interest to pretend the market is better than it is? Do I want loads of irrelevant CVs of people I can offer no help to in order to waste my day? How bizarre clearly I just wanted to offer some assistance to someone.

Your strangest comment is about how recruitment companies in the UAE are so "shite" as your so eloquently put it, yet in Europe they are ok. Does this mean all of the international recruitment companies (Michael Page, Carmichael Fisher, Robert Half, all companies with outstanding reputations. We too are well known in our field in the UK (although much more niche and lesser known than the big players above)) have excellent consultants, processes and training in their global network of offices but are genuinely really terrible over in their office in the UAE? Yeah ok, nice one mate

Recruitment is not about the company it is about the consultant and I am sure if you asked some of the people I have placed from this board they would describe me as being above a "monkey" or a "shower of shite". Obviously you are one to tar everyone with the same brush, however I feel this is dangerous as anyone reading your ramblings may leap to some incorrect conclusions about engineers.

Anyway, have a good day and good luck finding some other posts to bring your obnoxious charms too
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:23 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you find reading pretty tricky mate, so I will just highlight my original comment which apparently doesnt say I work in construction recruitment;

I work for a construction recruitment company over here in Dubai (covering the region), and we have clients calling us again which is nice.

It is fair to say that most clients are still giving strong preference to candidates based here BUT on my side (Facilities Management) I do have some requirements that we just cant find people for locally and as such my clients are willing to look at people with no local experience. Whilst this has not quite reached the construction side (property and FM is always going to be a bit more stable I guess as it is the built environment rather than building stuff) I am sure sooner or later it will.

Do you now understand? If not try reading it slower.

As for you being a member of the "all recruitment companies in the UAE are rubbish" brigade I guess this sums up your mentality and level of intelligence. Why would it be in my interest to pretend the market is better than it is? Do I want loads of irrelevant CVs of people I can offer no help to in order to waste my day? How bizarre clearly I just wanted to offer some assistance to someone.

Your strangest comment is about how recruitment companies in the UAE are so "shite" as your so eloquently put it, yet in Europe they are ok. Does this mean all of the international recruitment companies (Michael Page, Carmichael Fisher, Robert Half, all companies with outstanding reputations. We too are well known in our field in the UK (although much more niche and lesser known than the big players above)) have excellent consultants, processes and training in their global network of offices but are genuinely really terrible over in their office in the UAE? Yeah ok, nice one mate

Recruitment is not about the company it is about the consultant and I am sure if you asked some of the people I have placed from this board they would describe me as being above a "monkey" or a "shower of shite". Obviously you are one to tar everyone with the same brush, however I feel this is dangerous as anyone reading your ramblings may leap to some incorrect conclusions about engineers.

Anyway, have a good day and good luck finding some other posts to bring your obnoxious charms too
What I have to admit finding surprising is that, showing through all your 'professionalism' is a holier than thou attitude to your employer and yourself....

A guy who cannot admit that his profession (ESPECIALLY your profession) has suffered from some well deserved stick over the last few years in Dubai, really shouldnt be throwing stones about....
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your strangest comment is about how recruitment companies in the UAE are so "shite" as your so eloquently put it, yet in Europe they are ok.
That's because in Europe, or at least the UK, there are some professional standards and the REC attempt (ok-poorly) to make Recruitment Monkeys look professional.

Here - what is there? Cowboys, resume agglomerators, and organisations that are just straight out scammers - charging fees for non existant placements/interviews.

Yeah ok, nice one mate
I thought so, and I thought I made a pretty clear point.

Obviously you are one to tar everyone with the same brush
No - just you freckle. You started all this off by carrying on like a pork chop, so I just thought I'd point out a few of your wilder rantings.

Now, I have had enough, so please toodle off...
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

wow, some really friendly responses on here
lets face it, there's no point in buttering things up is there. There are clearly just a few more realists kicking around.

Things are just the way they are. Like many, i've seen so many faces come and go and its just a damn shame. People have milked this town for everything its got and what are we left with? A mess. That's what. Work isn't as enjoyable as it used to be for many. There's no more challenge. Money isn't circulating....the worst isn't over yet.

Still, would I have still come here, knowing what i know now, given the chance again? In a heartbeat!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Have I missed the fight, or just popped in at the end of round 1?
Let me get some popcorn.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Have I missed the fight, or just popped in at the end of round 1?
Let me get some popcorn.
It's just starting. They will be comparing the size of their penis' soon.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
What I have to admit finding surprising is that, showing through all your 'professionalism' is a holier than thou attitude to your employer and yourself....

A guy who cannot admit that his profession (ESPECIALLY your profession) has suffered from some well deserved stick over the last few years in Dubai, really shouldnt be throwing stones about....
Sorry, but what are you talking about? The only point I raised about my profession is that not all recruitment companies in the UAE are a "shower of shite" and that recruitment is often about the consultant not a company - for example if a FTSE 200 recruitment company employs 5000 people there is every chance that some consultants are exceptional, professional and do a good job and some are far from this and would get very different reviews from their clients. Is this controversial?

What was I meant to say? "Yes all recruitment monkeys and companies are a shower of shite I will change my job at once"?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CeeBee
lets face it, there's no point in buttering things up is there. There are clearly just a few more realists kicking around.

Things are just the way they are. Like many, i've seen so many faces come and go and its just a damn shame. People have milked this town for everything its got and what are we left with? A mess. That's what. Work isn't as enjoyable as it used to be for many. There's no more challenge. Money isn't circulating....the worst isn't over yet.

Still, would I have still come here, knowing what i know now, given the chance again? In a heartbeat!!!!!
I agree with a lot of what you say and that things have changed etc etc but I do not see how my original comments were unrealistic, and do not see why I would be attacked for giving advice I am "unqualified to give" despite the fact I work in this specific field. For example, one comment stated that companies arent bringing people over anymore, whilst my colleague has a UAE consultancy flying to the UK next week to interview 3 candidates for a construction role. My point was merely that yes things arent great and yes companies prefer hiring locally but things are starting to move forward in some areas and will do so in other areas also. I wasnt aware at the time of giving some impartial advice that my motives would be questioned and my ability to assist on this matter, along with the all round integrity of my profession, would come under quite so much scrutiny.

Last edited by sg800; Nov 16th 2009 at 4:07 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.