Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

hugheslad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Hello there everyone!

Im an MEP QS (5 yrs exp) looking for work in the Middle East and will consider most places. The problem I have is i cant seem to find a decent agency and the only decent one i found on the internet wanted money to send my cv out!!!!

Any info on agencies or locations to work would be of great help!!!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:25 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Originally Posted by hugheslad
Hello there everyone!

Im an MEP QS (5 yrs exp) looking for work in the Middle East and will consider most places. The problem I have is i cant seem to find a decent agency and the only decent one i found on the internet wanted money to send my cv out!!!!

Any info on agencies or locations to work would be of great help!!!!
Sorry to burst your bubble but QS guys are 10 a penny out here just now....
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant!!!

Is that due to the economic downturn? and signs of recovery yet?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:38 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant!!!

Is that due to the economic downturn? Yes...

and signs of recovery yet? Nope...
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Well thanks for your help anyway
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:04 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Well thanks for your help anyway
No problem, its the least I could do...

PS...

Can you pass the word onto everyone else in your industry back in the UK? It would save all of us over here bursting the foetal bubble of unlimited wealth and opportunity that everyone seems to think is available over here...

It is called a global crisis for a reason and, contrary to what Sheikh Mo would have the rest of the world believe, Dubai is included...
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

skeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud of

Wassim Youssef

Recruitment Officer

Human Resource Department

Drake & Scull International PJSC

P.O.Box 65794 Dubai , United Arab Emirates

Tel Off +971 4 8112300 ext 472

Fax +971 4 8850996

Mobile +971 50 3791669

email: [email protected]

web www.drakescull.com

Try From Here
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Skeleton I will give them a try
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Skeleton I will give them a try
Not wanting to burst your bubble further but i think you'll find that you'll be up against some stiff competition for any of the available jobs out here. People are not generally brought in from abroad any more as there just isn't the requirement for anyone to do so. Companies recruiting out here will generally go for expats that are already settled so that there isn't the associated risk with bringing in staff from abroad.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

wow, some really friendly responses on here

HL, the market is still pretty slow here BUT it is not quite how it was 6-12 months ago where for every single requirement there are dozens of really good expats sat about redundant and willing to take half of what they were on to get back into work. I work for a construction recruitment company over here in Dubai (covering the region), and we have clients calling us again which is nice.

It is fair to say that most clients are still giving strong preference to candidates based here BUT on my side (Facilities Management) I do have some requirements that we just cant find people for locally and as such my clients are willing to look at people with no local experience. Whilst this has not quite reached the construction side (property and FM is always going to be a bit more stable I guess as it is the built environment rather than building stuff) I am sure sooner or later it will.

If you want to send a CV over feel free to PM me and I will send you my email address. I did just ask one of my colleagues who looks after QS roles who does need an MEP person BUT it must be someone based here however I would be happy to get your CV in front of him so that if/when something does come up he can get in touch. Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

nice one sg800.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sg800
I dont think responses are unfriendly. Just honest.
It is fair to say that most clients are still giving strong preference to candidates based here BUT on my side (Facilities Management) I do have some requirements ....
If you stick to your area of expertise, and yours is Facilities Management, then you should be safe. Please don't stray into giving the young guy advice that you are not qualified to give.

I am still seeing people disappearing regularly. Engineers that I deal with from different consultants and contractors around AD are being given notice daily. We have been tempted to hire some of these guys, but its still a bit too early to release the hounds.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

function_analysis is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Anyone know a good QS agency in the middle east?

Although I'm not based over there I strongly agree with you. As HL I'm also chasing a good opportunity to relocate in the GCC area, but unfortunately as someone else stated before QS guys are 10 a penny out there, myself included although I'm currently working as Contracts Manager and Cost Analysis Engineer, with 16-yrs post-graduate experience!

HL, give propertyjobs and totaljobs a try not pretty sure the best around but are definitely handling a good deal of related vacancies.

SG, if I'm not a pain for asking you may I kindly send you my resume?

HL, the market is still pretty slow here BUT it is not quite how it was 6-12 months ago where for every single requirement there are dozens of really good expats sat about redundant and willing to take half of what they were on to get back into work. I work for a construction recruitment company over here in Dubai (covering the region), and we have clients calling us again which is nice.

It is fair to say that most clients are still giving strong preference to candidates based here BUT on my side (Facilities Management) I do have some requirements that we just cant find people for locally and as such my clients are willing to look at people with no local experience. Whilst this has not quite reached the construction side (property and FM is always going to be a bit more stable I guess as it is the built environment rather than building stuff) I am sure sooner or later it will.

If you want to send a CV over feel free to PM me and I will send you my email address. I did just ask one of my colleagues who looks after QS roles who does need an MEP person BUT it must be someone based here however I would be happy to get your CV in front of him so that if/when something does come up he can get in touch. Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spart
I dont think responses are unfriendly. Just honest.

If you stick to your area of expertise, and yours is Facilities Management, then you should be safe. Please don't stray into giving the young guy advice that you are not qualified to give.

I am still seeing people disappearing regularly. Engineers that I deal with from different consultants and contractors around AD are being given notice daily. We have been tempted to hire some of these guys, but its still a bit too early to release the hounds.
Spart, well done in making yourself sound like a typical arrogant expat, good work

In case you struggled reading my post from the height of your horse you are on I mentioned the company I work for covers the whole of the construction sector, I sit opposite people looking after QS roles, Project management, roles with main contractors etc. I have worked in recruitment for over 6 years, including 18 months in the UAE QS/Commercial market. So if you want to stick to your area of expertise, and yours is engineering, you should be safe, in the meantime I will go about answering the OP's question in order to best help. Nice one

Last edited by sg800; Nov 11th 2009 at 3:55 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by function_analysis
Although I'm not based over there I strongly agree with you. As HL I'm also chasing a good opportunity to relocate in the GCC area, but unfortunately as someone else stated before QS guys are 10 a penny out there, myself included although I'm currently working as Contracts Manager and Cost Analysis Engineer, with 16-yrs post-graduate experience!

HL, give propertyjobs and totaljobs a try not pretty sure the best around but are definitely handling a good deal of related vacancies.

SG, if I'm not a pain for asking you may I kindly send you my resume?
Hi FA, I will send you a PM more than happy for you to send a CV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.