Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Anyone at Dammam University

Anyone at Dammam University

Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

draria12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone at Dammam University

Hello all

I have been offered a position in Dammam uni and I am about to submit my visa application in London. Can anyone let me know when does the second semester start in Dammam Uni. I have not had any mention to when I should be expected to be there but I am assuming they want me for the start of second semester. As I have few things to sort out here before my move, I am planning to travel by 16 January. I wonder if leaving it to 16 January is not a bit late/not ideal.

Thank you.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone at Dammam University

I supposed you have already completed the medical report with FCO legalisation plus the attestation of your PhD certificate. The online visa application form with payment is really terrible. If you cannot sort it out, please PM me. Usually it takes around 1 - 2 weeks by post to get the passport back with a work visa stamped on one page; you need to travel within 90 days. Please check the visa throughly and inform the Saudi Embassy in case of any errors, e.g., your position and related numbers.

The last day of Semester-1 exams is on 15th January and Semester 2 will start on Sunday, 25th January. Although Mr xx (HR) is very quick at responding any e-mails or phone calls, I am not sure if you can make it on 16th January. You'd better discuss your arrival with your Chairman or Dean. In fact you can start any time even after the Semester 2 starts, say 1st or 15th February, to give you more time to breathe. Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

This year UD has only produced the Academic Calendar in Arabic - http://www.ud.edu.sa/sites/default/f...14-15-ar.2.pdf Please copy and paste the Arabic words to Google Translate to see the meaning in English. Enjoy!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks wwinit for your reply. Yes, I have gone through the entire process. Now it is just a matter of having the passport stamped. I have personally submitted my passport/documents in London this morning not to miss the deadline of 4 January- submission deadline according to HR email!!. However, the medical report is still with the FCO for legalisation. I have been informed that they needed to verify the signature of the Doctor who signed my medical report as they don't have his signature in their database. My GP agreed to contact them and email them a confirmation message. The consulate, which I have contacted in advance, agreed to accept my passport/documents. The application will be processed but the visa will not be issued until the legalised medical report is sent to them. I am hoping to receive it by Wednesday to complete the process. I definitely agree with you, the online payment was not an easy task. However, after completing the application online and paying a fee ( $10/ £7) I was referred to an agency located opposite to the consulate to go through the process again and to pay £64 cash for the service!!!. I found it strange!!!. Anyone applying in the future should be aware of this and be prepared for another payment cash only.
As you suggested, I will contact the university to discuss my travel arrangements.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by draria12; Dec 22nd 2014 at 11:28 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear that you needed to pay GBP 64 extra for the unnecessary service. Probably you did not know how to complete all data in the online application form. I am not sure if this should be called a ploy to create a new business. It is such a hassle, isn't it?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Well the application was completed the right way and printed as required. The guy who received me and dealt with my case (lack of a legalise medical ) did not bother too much with my file.When I told another person in the visa office that I paid the fees he just said you have to pay twice!!!. Apparently the payment required online was not enough!!! He just referred me to the office to make the payment. I didn't bother too much because my priority was to submit the application after a long trip to London. I was not convinced and not pleased to run outside looking for a cash machine. You are right it is a ploy to create a new business. But overall I was pleased with the person who dealt with my case. He was helpful and polite. Now I just hope things will run smoothly whenever I get there.
I will keep you posted. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

I feel sorry for you.