Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Any information on working as nurse in Kuwait

Any information on working as nurse in Kuwait

Old Jul 27th 2018, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Debg63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any information on working as nurse in Kuwait

I've applied for a nursing job in Kuwait and would appreciate any advice or thoughts from you lovelies out there
Anyone with any experience there or knowledge of working in nursing there at all ??
Deb
Old Jul 29th 2018, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any information on working as nurse in Kuwait

Hi Deb

Ive been in Kuwait for a bit. Which hospital will you be working in - there are some first class (private) hospitals and some real idiot doctors - not been to a government hospital

Make sure the finances stack up before you arrive (sorry i know nothing about nursing rates)
Old Jul 29th 2018, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ukcitygent , financially a good deal . Lots of paperwork to do
its the royale HHC
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a decent hospital from all accounts - my friends wife 'dropped' a rugrat there (or 2) - no idea on the working conditions (but it is in a heavy traffic area in the Hawalli Hood!)
Old Jul 30th 2018, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Thankfully I don't work in Midwifery yuk
it will be home health care .
I work with someone who worked in Saudi so know a little of what to expect but no idea about Kuwait.
It's a fairly new service in Kuwait but work is work wherever you do it really
Dont know what to expect from the out of work life , banking , phones , shopping and getting around
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debg63
Thankfully I don't work in Midwifery yuk
it will be home health care .
I work with someone who worked in Saudi so know a little of what to expect but no idea about Kuwait.
It's a fairly new service in Kuwait but work is work wherever you do it really
Dont know what to expect from the out of work life , banking , phones , shopping and getting around
All i can tell you is that there is no booze in Kuwait
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Out of work life >> Depends what interests you - there is almost everything here from horse-riding, sailing, shooting, to gyms, to shopping and eating (You will put on the Kuwaiti Kilo (which is probably 5lbs for a normal person) within 1 month!)
banking >> Loads of banks - pretty easy to set up if your HR is on the ball - the company usually has links with a local bank for your salary to go to - if not you can pop into one with your civil id card and a letter from your employer
phones >> You will need a civil id card to get a phone sim (i assume you are talking about sims rather than the phone).
Shopping >> Yes (I think Kuwait has probably more restruants per capita than most countries in the world)
Getting around >> Definitely by car or worse case taxi (agree price before-hand) - I dont think there is uber here. You should bring an international driving license so you can drive before you get you swap UK license for Kuwait (only need an eye-test i think)
Old Jul 30th 2018, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much very helpful @citygent
im not fussed about the alcohol , of course I say that now when I can drink it or not when I want @reddiva
� ����
Old Jul 31st 2018, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Booze is pretty accessible (on the black market) but can be expensive (70-80 KWD for a litre of vodka or you can drop to 10 KWD for home-brew)
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:52 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Just make your own booze. Plenty of vids on YouTube to get you started.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:53 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also add that Irish nurses in Saudi were legendary party animals.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

asjglx will become famous soon enough

Quite new to Kuwait myself, only arrived at the beginning of the year. Note that you can get a pre-paid SIM on your passport before you get your Residence ID. Things like an internet subscription or TV subscription will need to wait until you have the ID.

My company had an arrangement with National Bank of Kuwait to open a bank account for me on my arrival with just my passport details. When I finally received my Residence ID I just visited a local branch and they took a copy of it. Strangely, a couple of days later a credit card arrived via courier, even though I never applied for it.

If you are planning to drive out here, be aware that you can only drive using an International Licence if you enter the country on a Tourist Visa. If you enter the country on an Entry Visa then you will not be allowed to drive until this visa is converted to a Residence Visa and you have obtained a Kuwait Driving Licence. There are plenty of taxis and an Uber equivalent (Careem) and you will also find lots of freelance drivers who will be keen to make weekly/monthly arrangements with you for commuting.

There's lots of hoops to jump through in order to convert a UK licence, so if that's the route you are planning to follow, then let me know and i'll write up a guide of what to do and the paperwork which you will need before you leave the UK.

I said the same thing about alcohol as you. In the most part I haven't missed it, but occasionally I do get the taste for something as the weekend starts. I'm sure there is a black market here, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm popping over to Bahrain next week for a cheeky G&T...
Old Aug 6th 2019, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Sally2411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asjglx
Quite new to Kuwait myself, only arrived at the beginning of the year. Note that you can get a pre-paid SIM on your passport before you get your Residence ID. Things like an internet subscription or TV subscription will need to wait until you have the ID.

My company had an arrangement with National Bank of Kuwait to open a bank account for me on my arrival with just my passport details. When I finally received my Residence ID I just visited a local branch and they took a copy of it. Strangely, a couple of days later a credit card arrived via courier, even though I never applied for it.

If you are planning to drive out here, be aware that you can only drive using an International Licence if you enter the country on a Tourist Visa. If you enter the country on an Entry Visa then you will not be allowed to drive until this visa is converted to a Residence Visa and you have obtained a Kuwait Driving Licence. There are plenty of taxis and an Uber equivalent (Careem) and you will also find lots of freelance drivers who will be keen to make weekly/monthly arrangements with you for commuting.

There's lots of hoops to jump through in order to convert a UK licence, so if that's the route you are planning to follow, then let me know and i'll write up a guide of what to do and the paperwork which you will need before you leave the UK.

I said the same thing about alcohol as you. In the most part I haven't missed it, but occasionally I do get the taste for something as the weekend starts. I'm sure there is a black market here, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm popping over to Bahrain next week for a cheeky G&T...
Hello Asjglx
Many thanks for the above information, really helpful.
I am moving to Kuwait 1st October, very nervous 😬. Please can you kindly send me some info about what is exactly required to transfer: convert a UK driving licence to Kuwait licence.

2nd question, is KD 2,750 a month including free accommodation, Car good salary?

Many thanks in in advance for your help.

regards
sally

Many thanks in in advance for your great help.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

KD2750 per month is an excellent salary...especially if you get free housing as that can be rather expensive from what I have seen.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Sally2411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charl01
KD2750 per month is an excellent salary...especially if you get free housing as that can be rather expensive from what I have seen.
many thanks Charl01 for your reply.
Have a lovely day