British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Another Salary Package question ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/another-salary-package-question-619705/)

Dubai2009 Jul 12th 2009 5:27 pm

Another Salary Package question !

Hi All,
I am thinking of taking a job in Dubai and have been offered a package however i have never worked in Dubai and therefore am totally in the dark as to whats a good or bad package.

Im looking to have a comfortable Life style in Dubai eating out, a gym membership, going out to bars and clubs a few times a month as well as membership to a water sports club. I also plan to save some cash also ... Is this possible ?

Offered package:

18,000 AED per month tax free.

+ Company Car
+ Shared accomodation with one other manager.
+ Private medical cover.
+ 3 return international flights.

Any advice would be great, i will need to make a choice in the next few weeks.

Thanks

CeeBee Jul 12th 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Another Salary Package question !

Originally Posted by Dubai2009 (Post 7746197)
Hi All,
I am thinking of taking a job in Dubai and have been offered a package however i have never worked in Dubai and therefore am totally in the dark as to whats a good or bad package.

Im looking to have a comfortable Life style in Dubai eating out, a gym membership, going out to bars and clubs a few times a month as well as membership to a water sports club. I also plan to save some cash also ... Is this possible ?

Offered package:

+ Company Car
+ Private medical cover.

Thanks

If you're just looking after yourself with that cash then no problems. You should be able to bank some cash too. I'm on a very similar sort of package and more recently find myself with a fair old chunk of change at the end of each month.

As ever, don't get yourself into debt. you never know when things might turn upside down. This means....no credit cards, no buying anything daft (cars, boats etc).

Best of luck in your decision.

Dubai2009 Jul 12th 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 7746332)
If you're just looking after yourself with that cash then no problems. You should be able to bank some cash too. I'm on a very similar sort of package and more recently find myself with a fair old chunk of change at the end of each month.

As ever, don't get yourself into debt. you never know when things might turn upside down. This means....no credit cards, no buying anything daft (cars, boats etc).

Best of luck in your decision.

Cheers CEE BEE, only myself to keep so should be okay.
Thanks

lionheart Jul 13th 2009 4:53 am

You may wish to read the Bounced Cheques article in the ME Forum before coming as Dubai does not have its streets paved in gold as you and other newbies might think.

admon Jul 13th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Dubai2009 (Post 7746197)
Hi All,

Offered package:

+ Company Car
+ Private medical cover.

Thanks

Obviously we don't know how old you are, your job etc, so impossible to tell whether you are getting 'value' for your position.

However the main parts of car and living are taken care of.

You will be able to enjoy life and save a few quid to boot, so long as you don't spend as much money on Sambucca as some do here.

PapaDoc Jul 14th 2009 12:45 pm

Depending on your family situation and experience, this is a reasonable offer in the current economic climate. Suppose you should compare how much discretionary spending you will have available compared to back home (wherever that is). Gym membership isn't cheap here (Fitness First is about AED495ish per month). Are utilities included in your deal? Water and electricity are not cheap here.

PapaDoc

CeeBee Jul 20th 2009 4:44 pm

TV and internet are damn expensive too!!