AED 100k

Old Jul 1st 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

godalminguk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AED 100k

Hi

I'm in discussions for a role in Dubai with an annual salary of AED100k "and the usual benefits". I'm clearly going to ask about the "usual benefits" in some detail but it would be really helpful if someone could give me an idea of what "the usual benefits" in Dubai would entail.

If relevant - married with three kids.
Old Jul 1st 2018, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AED 100k

Who pays for the schools and how much ? Health cover ? Annual leave ? Ticketing arrangements ?
Old Jul 1st 2018, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Who pays for the schools and how much ? Health cover ? Annual leave ? Ticketing arrangements ?
Thanks for coming back to me - I'll add this to the "what to ask" list.

Any idea what is "normal"?

If this were the UK I'd be easily able to reel off something along the lines of "company car, employer pension contribution, family health cover etc and have a fair guess as to what would be the cash on the table for each. For Dubai I'm pretty much in the dark.

For example, schooling - is it normal to include private schooling? Would that normally be in Dubai or back in the UK? etc
Similarly - what is normal for annual leave?

Clearly I'm going to have the right discussions with the right people in the next week or so but trying to get my head around what is market-normal
Old Jul 1st 2018, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to build in the payment of a substitute for pension arrangements. Schooling would usually be in a local school i n the UAE - but a good one is expensive.
Old Jul 1st 2018, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - I've already got pension substitute on the list - I'm building a list with the others
Old Jul 1st 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Is that AED 8,333 a month?!
I think it is under average (depends on your job)
This link may help
https://authorityjob.com/good-averag...-dubai-family/
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
Is that AED 8,333 a month?!
I think it is under average (depends on your job)
This link may help
https://authorityjob.com/good-averag...-dubai-family/
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught this. OP can you confirm this is AED 100,000 per annum - and not GBP 100,000 per annum?

If it's 8,333 Dirhams per month, that is not going to be close to a living wage for a Westerner there and you should not even consider this offer unless you are in absolute dire straits back home right now.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Google the cost of school fees. You may be in for a shock.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing he meant 100k AED per month as salaries are quoted on a monthly basis rather than annually in the Gulf.

If true, 100k a month is an excellent salary and is in line with what he's implied in his other posts.

Without knowing more about your role, 100k a month sounds like an all inclusive salary and you'd be expected to fork out for school fees and accommodation out of the salary, with perhaps annual flights on top. Budget 250-300k for a nice villa, 80-100k per kid for schooling, and you can live handsomely on the remainder. "Usual benefits" to me sounds like the annual flights, health care and end of service gratuity. If housing/school fees were part of the benefits the company would make that clear in the offer letter and provide a fixed sum.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Jul 2nd 2018 at 5:38 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm guessing he meant 100k AED per month as salaries are quoted on a monthly basis rather than annually in the Gulf.

If true, 100k a month is an excellent salary and is in line with what he's implied in his other posts.

Without knowing more about your role, 100k a month sounds like an all inclusive salary and you'd be expected to fork out for school fees and accommodation out of the salary, with perhaps annual flights on top. Budget 250-300k for a nice villa, 80-100k per kid for schooling, and you can live handsomely on the remainder. "Usual benefits" to me sounds like the annual flights, health care and end of service gratuity. If housing/school fees were part of the benefits the company would make that clear in the offer letter and provide a fixed sum.
I think OP should clarify the salary. It's impossible to give suitable advice without knowing if he/she means per month, per year, AED or GBP.

Based on a literal interpretation of what was said it isn't worth considering.

100k AED per month is a completely different scenario however.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm guessing he meant 100k AED per month as salaries are quoted on a monthly basis rather than annually in the Gulf..
Sorry for the confusion guys - yes, that's a monthly figure (I'm getting used to the idea of talking monthly).
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

As a monthly salary, it's excellent. How does it compare to your UK take-home? Ultimately that's the bottom line, are you getting substantially more money to go to Dubai?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Its a significant increase on my UK take home & I'm running the numbers repeatedly. I'm trying to get my head around what would be a normal expectation of the benefits. Such as:
- What would housing allowance typically be?
- What would education allowance be? For example my kids are in school in the UK and could easily board. Is that level of expenditure normally within education allowance

I'm hopefully going to get this ironed out in the next couple of weeks regardless - this is just additional mental ammo so I know whether what I'm offered is normal or not :-)
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by godalminguk
Its a significant increase on my UK take home & I'm running the numbers repeatedly. I'm trying to get my head around what would be a normal expectation of the benefits. Such as:
- What would housing allowance typically be?
- What would education allowance be? For example my kids are in school in the UK and could easily board. Is that level of expenditure normally within education allowance

I'm hopefully going to get this ironed out in the next couple of weeks regardless - this is just additional mental ammo so I know whether what I'm offered is normal or not :-)
What is the role? is it for the government or private sector ? some firms will build the housing into the total monthly amount, others may put it in addition however you will need to ask this question. Schooling varies but if you have primary school kids you will need a minimum of AED50,000 per year to school them here or if in secondary then up to AED70,000 per year maybe a bit more. If you chose to board them in the UK you will not get a schooling allowance as that has to be spent here.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by reddiva
If you chose to board them in the UK you will not get a schooling allowance as that has to be spent here.
Thanks - that's a worthwhile nugget for clarity in the negotiations.

This is private sector & financial services. Housing is definitely "on top" - its about getting my head around what is normal for the role level

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.