Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice on UAE Jobs for British Expats

Advice on UAE Jobs for British Expats

Old May 30th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

c.dhanak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on UAE Jobs for British Expats

Greetings People

I am a new member to BE and would like to gain some information and advice about job market of UAE
I start by describing my Background
BA in Business Management
MSc in Accounting and Finance, both from UK
4 Years of work experience
20 months with UK bank as Branch Customer service, 2 years in a Accounting firm as Assistant Accountant and 6 months with UK government (ONS)
I would like to know what are my possible chances of getting a job either in Accounting of Banking side in UAE and what pay scale should I be aiming at.
Also I have registered with all the big names in Recruitment in UAE - Nadia, Roberthalf, Charterhouse, Bayt, Clarendon parker, Gulf News etc but without solid response.
I would deeply appreciate any advice or help from all the people and members
Old May 30th 2011, 5:51 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on UAE Jobs for British Expats

Banking is almost exclusively reserved for locals.
Accountancy tends to go to Indians, and the pay reflects that.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

geegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nice

I lived in the Dubai for 10 years during the boom years. I still have lots of friends out there. There deal is:
- get a job offer before you go
- don't accept a job with out a package i.e. housing, schools, transport included

Working in Dubai is not what it was 10 years ago and is considerably harder than you imagine. Don't get me wrong, the nightlife is excellent but be prepared to work equally hard.

The payoff is that it's tax free and a great lifestyle if you get the right job offer. Good luck!
Old May 30th 2011, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geegeegee67
I lived in the Dubai for 10 years during the boom years. I still have lots of friends out there. There deal is:
- get a job offer before you go
- don't accept a job with out a package i.e. housing, schools, transport included

Working in Dubai is not what it was 10 years ago and is considerably harder than you imagine. Don't get me wrong, the nightlife is excellent but be prepared to work equally hard.

The payoff is that it's tax free and a great lifestyle if you get the right job offer. Good luck!

With great respect thanks for replying but is it true that jobs in dubai are more achieved with networking and referal rather then actual job selection process. And if that is the case are there any networking events/sites which I can visit to develop potential contacts in Dubai. And you mention about job offer so is British Embassy/Council of any help in obtaining a job there. And how much will be a "right job offer" based on my background I mention in my post?
Old May 30th 2011, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Banking is almost exclusively reserved for locals.
Accountancy tends to go to Indians, and the pay reflects that.
So is it that Indian have edge over Brits in terms of employment....that is something new to me
Old May 30th 2011, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by c.dhanak
So is it that Indian have edge over Brits in terms of employment....that is something new to me
Don't get too excited dhanak - The Indians being referred to here are not the western ones and they will work for a 1/3 of what you will. Indians are highly skilled and very capable.

As for your previous post - I agree with you, networking is key here. However, I do doubt how successful you will be in finding something meaningful. Your retail banking experience isn't transferable, and your accounts assistant past will put you in the same bucket as the highly qualified and capable Indians who can/will undercut you.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

One piece of information, the US CPA exam will be soon held in the UAE, tons of Egyptians, Filipinos, Jordanians, Lebanese and Indians will be taking it.

Having an ordinary western education will no longer set you apart...........decent Canadian/UK/US/work experience will, and two years as an accounting assistant for a local accounting firm is nothing to brag about.

Last edited by Blendin; May 30th 2011 at 11:04 pm.