Advice on Qatar Job

Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Tardigrade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Qatar Job

Hi all,

I'm quite far down the recruitment process for a position in Doha, working in an engineering consultancy. I believe salary negotiations are about to start soon and I'd like to be prepared for them, so I was hoping to get a perspective on my situation from some more experienced expats in Qatar. I have looked at the "Is it worth it" spreadsheet, which was very informative but is now a couple of years out of date.

So, my situation:
  • Single man, 25, no kids
  • Masters degree and 2 years experience
  • Salary of 24000 QR month, all inclusive
  • Package also includes flights home, relocation costs, medical insurance

Now from going through the forum I appreciate this is on the low side, especially as accommodation isn't included. However I don't have a huge amount of experience, and it would be a substantial increase on my UK salary. Would I be able to live comfortably in Doha on this amount, or should I be asking for more? Perhaps more importantly, how much could I expect to save per month?

I have looked at some accommodation online and I wouldn't mind flat sharing to keep costs down. The job is with a well known western company, so would be good experience.

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:25 pm
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on Qatar Job

24000 all inclusive is VERY low , at least thats my opinion , your aim should be 30k- 35k .
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

I would say that you could save just under a grand UK each month on that salary and live a nice life. You have very little experience and if it's with a good compnay then you may have the chance to carry on the relocation and see the world.
9000 rent
4000 going out for drinks etc
1000 food shopping
1000 utilities
2000 car
1000 for holiday
6000 save

Just make sure you come with 5000 UK in your pocket to set yourself up with deposits here there and everywhere.

Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both very much for your helpful responses. Your suggested budget is especially useful Crewegirl. I should start discussing things with HR next week, so I will hold out for a little more and see what they say.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

it snot great but with only two years work exp probably not far off
Old Aug 31st 2014, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's good and the right level given the experience.

Once you're here and have a few years under your belt you'll be in a better position to increase it.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses Shiva and Scamp!