Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:49 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Londoner from middle east is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with ADIA which might be helpful for you. I'm British citizen and applied for a position at ADIA (Abu Dhabi Investment Authority). I've been through all recruitment stages and passed them all (Video call, Full assessment day with many online tests and interviews, another video call and presentation). I received a pack to arrange my visit to Abu Dhabi for final face to face conversations/interviews and THEN suddenly they told me that they are not recruiting any British national and its been the company policy for last 2 years.

I know you'd think it's discriminating one but this is Abu Dhabi we are talking about... Discrimination doesn't mean much...

I have another nationality (which if you don't mind I don't reveal) but then they said they can't sponsor the second nationality either based on relation between Abu Dhabi and where I was born! Overall it was a very disappointing experience.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Are you British and work for ADIA?

Cheers,
N
Londoner from middle east is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 6:30 pm
  #2  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,439
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Originally Posted by Londoner from middle east View Post
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with ADIA which might be helpful for you. I'm British citizen and applied for a position at ADIA (Abu Dhabi Investment Authority). I've been through all recruitment stages and passed them all (Video call, Full assessment day with many online tests and interviews, another video call and presentation). I received a pack to arrange my visit to Abu Dhabi for final face to face conversations/interviews and THEN suddenly they told me that they are not recruiting any British national and its been the company policy for last 2 years.

I know you'd think it's discriminating one but this is Abu Dhabi we are talking about... Discrimination doesn't mean much...

I have another nationality (which if you don't mind I don't reveal) but then they said they can't sponsor the second nationality either based on relation between Abu Dhabi and where I was born! Overall it was a very disappointing experience.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Are you British and work for ADIA?

Cheers,
N
I just knew you were Brit-ish. How it works here I’m afraid.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 10:44 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 9,147
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Common question in the regition - "British ? But where are you really from ?
scot47 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:08 pm
  #4  
womble
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,663
OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Originally Posted by Londoner from middle east View Post
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with ADIA which might be helpful for you. I'm British citizen and applied for a position at ADIA (Abu Dhabi Investment Authority). I've been through all recruitment stages and passed them all (Video call, Full assessment day with many online tests and interviews, another video call and presentation). I received a pack to arrange my visit to Abu Dhabi for final face to face conversations/interviews and THEN suddenly they told me that they are not recruiting any British national and its been the company policy for last 2 years.

I know you'd think it's discriminating one but this is Abu Dhabi we are talking about... Discrimination doesn't mean much...

I have another nationality (which if you don't mind I don't reveal) but then they said they can't sponsor the second nationality either based on relation between Abu Dhabi and where I was born! Overall it was a very disappointing experience.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Are you British and work for ADIA?

Cheers,
N
Were you born in Iran or Israel? If yes, then that is the problem, not your British side, whatever they tell you.
OriginalSunshine is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2019, 9:27 am
  #5  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 24,601
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

The difference between being British and 'British'.

Same for many others though, like 'Canadians' and 'Australians'.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2020, 6:35 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 7
Legend_no7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Is this policy still in place ? Seems quite bizarre as I know of quite a few British nationals working there. However, perhaps they joined before this rule came into place.

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine View Post


Were you born in Iran or Israel? If yes, then that is the problem, not your British side, whatever they tell you.
I have heard from a leading recruiter in London that ADIA indeed do not take British nationals (born in Britain included).
However, not sure if this is still in place.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 26th 2020 at 8:36 pm.
Legend_no7 is offline  
Old May 5th 2020, 5:26 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 2
uk_expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADIA is not recruiting British expats!!

Originally Posted by Legend_no7 View Post
Is this policy still in place ? Seems quite bizarre as I know of quite a few British nationals working there. However, perhaps they joined before this rule came into place.


I have heard from a leading recruiter in London that ADIA indeed do not take British nationals (born in Britain included).
However, not sure if this is still in place.
Looking for IT role in ADIA ? is it good now ? im working in London in investment bank but want to explore Abudhabi options. What are they ways we can apply ?

Last edited by uk_expat; May 5th 2020 at 5:57 pm.
uk_expat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.