Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

ACA from London needing advice on big 4 job offer

ACA from London needing advice on big 4 job offer

Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Fai786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACA from London needing advice on big 4 job offer

Hi all,

I'm a newly qualified ACA from London and have just been offered a job with one of the big 4 accounting firms in Abu Dhabi.

Does anyone know how middle east big 4 experience is viewed in western job markets? Will it be possible to land a good job when I come back? Does it make a difference if I'm working in advisory/TAS? Are the big 4 really as rubbish as people say they are in UAE?

Your advice and insight will be much appreciated as this feels like a massive dilemma!

Thank you!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:04 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ACA from London needing advice on big 4 job offer

How many times you going to post the exact same question?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:28 am
Just Joined

I don't mean to duplicate q's... But from trawling through previous posts I can't find anything on UAE big4 perception.. Trying to figure out if they are viewed as rubbish to work for and it's a career killer?
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 5:20 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fai786
I don't mean to duplicate q's... But from trawling through previous posts I can't find anything on UAE big4 perception.. Trying to figure out if they are viewed as rubbish to work for and it's a career killer?
I wouldn't say they are career killers, but they are definitely not on the same level as they are in say UK/US.

Also (relevant for you) most of the lower level positions (read; the people doing the actual work) are from the sub-continent. Management will be a real mixed bag. More so than in the UK/US where the guys who only know 'the talk' get filtered out pretty quickly when moving up the ladder...
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your insight norsk, have you worked for the Big 4 in UAE before?

I'm also not really enticed by the package they are offering me either so I'm more inclined to decline than accept now...I'm quite focused on coming back to London to work in the city so don't see how this will help further my career.

It would be interesting to know if anyone who has worked for the big 4 in UAE has looked into coming back to the UK and if they found it was more difficult to sell their UAE experience?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

If you intend to work in the City, then even UK's Big4 experience is not good enough - let alone Big4 experience of ME practices. Quite honestly, you're better off working in London Big4s and then moving into Finance or Product control function at junior level ASAP, and then move into Front office internally. I have worked at two of the Big4s as mgmt consultant (also in ME) finally breaking out into the city through an american IB (but it was tough due to seniority and was in the golden days of CDOs in 2005/6, things are not the same anymore).

Last edited by AirBender; Jul 14th 2012 at 11:24 am.