Abu Dhabi - Teacher

Old May 2nd 2011, 8:15 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi - Teacher

The schools here (well the two I've had experience of) seem great. Certainly the teachers appear less stressed and overworked. I'm not a teacher just a parent.

I've lived in abu dhabi and Dubai - admiitedly only for a short time in both. I actually prefer Dubai. Better beaches (waaaaay better beaches) and def more chilled vibe. The traffic in abu dhabi drove me to distration. And the driving is def worse there. Also it's quick to escape to the mountains, the desert and Oman.

I know Abu Dhabi is smaller and more manageable but I just find dubai more interesting. There's still lots of old bits which I feel gives it some soul.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

NorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lullabelle
The schools here (well the two I've had experience of) seem great. Certainly the teachers appear less stressed and overworked. I'm not a teacher just a parent.

I've lived in abu dhabi and Dubai - admiitedly only for a short time in both. I actually prefer Dubai. Better beaches (waaaaay better beaches) and def more chilled vibe. The traffic in abu dhabi drove me to distration. And the driving is def worse there. Also it's quick to escape to the mountains, the desert and Oman.

I know Abu Dhabi is smaller and more manageable but I just find dubai more interesting. There's still lots of old bits which I feel gives it some soul.
Thanks for that lullabelle.....I'm swaying towards to Dubai at the minute as I received the offer from the school there today and it's better than the 2 offers I've had from schools in Abu Dhabi! I also have a telephone interview for a school in Kuwait tomorrow!! But not 100% sure about that!
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernBelle31
Thanks for that lullabelle.....I'm swaying towards to Dubai at the minute as I received the offer from the school there today and it's better than the 2 offers I've had from schools in Abu Dhabi! I also have a telephone interview for a school in Kuwait tomorrow!! But not 100% sure about that!
take Dubai is it with GEMS?
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I like the sound of the 'red faced tattooed chavs!' - that's what I'm trying to escape from
Totally agree with Millhouse - AD is changing for the worst and it will get busier as the rents come to down. Best to visit if you can.
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:32 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

having lived in both for 3years each and about to return for a second stint in Dubai, i would say for a single person, Dubai. More choices in everything.

I love Abu Dhabi, it suited our lifestyle at the time (newborn baby) but we are looking forward to heading back to the big smoke.
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
having lived in both for 3years each and about to return for a second stint in Dubai, i would say for a single person, Dubai. More choices in everything.

I love Abu Dhabi, it suited our lifestyle at the time (newborn baby) but we are looking forward to heading back to the big smoke.
Mrs C having any luck with the house hunting/schools?
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

If you want any help with the Dubai School PM me my wife has taught here for twelve years and worked at three different schools in that time.

Cheers
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

NorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the roughNorthernBelle31 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spartans53
If you want any help with the Dubai School PM me my wife has taught here for twelve years and worked at three different schools in that time.

Cheers
Thank you very much :-) I'll drop you a line
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:25 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Mrs C having any luck with the house hunting/schools?
err no not really, its difficult finding a school.... Housing is no issue, but until we can sort out a school...
Old May 4th 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

I've just received my contract for the job in Dubai I've decided to take. It appears that utilities (water and electricity) are not included. Would it be appropriate to try and negotiate with them for the inclusion of these?!?
Old May 4th 2011, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've just received my contract for the job in Dubai I've decided to take. It appears that utilities (water and electricity) are not included. Would it be appropriate to try and negotiate with them for the inclusion of these?!?
80Dh / month? - 15quid? is it worth it?
Old May 4th 2011, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
80Dh / month? - 15quid? is it worth it?
Oh is that all it would be?!? even with airconditioning?!? Maybe it's not worth it lol!
Old May 4th 2011, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh is that all it would be?!? even with airconditioning?!? Maybe it's not worth it lol!
The answer is it depends. Some buildings have free AC. In those buildings your bill be 80-100AED. Otherwise it will be, I guess, peaking at 300AED for a 1 bed.

The 2000+ AED/month bills are for the villas.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the school is providing housing, probably a one bedroom flat in Tecom or the Greens, odds are that the housing fee/tax is covered by the school. Your monthly utilities most likely won't exceed 100 AED. I wouldn't fight the school to have this covered.

Just make sure that you're not liable for the housing fee. The problem is that the housing fee is bundled with the utilities so you get reimbursed or the school will deduct the dewa from your pat.

Old May 4th 2011, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The answer is it depends. Some buildings have free AC. In those buildings your bill be 80-100AED. Otherwise it will be, I guess, peaking at 300AED for a 1 bed.

The 2000+ AED/month bills are for the villas.
Ok, thanks for the info. Still not a huge amount so might just leave it. My original offer in Abu Dhabi was 11,000......but this position in Dubai is 14,000 so better off anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.